½° Wing Gauge Insert?

SkiJay

• Baller

Coming soon to a ski tool bag at your lake... the MicroAdjustWingTool! It will revolutionize the sport. The Testimonials speak for themselves!

@Horton - "Until I was able to set my wing at 9.12 degrees I was struggling. Now, I never score a @Rico anymore!"

@skidawg‌ - "My whole family uses the MicroAdjustWingTool! We all set new PBs every day."

@gator1‌ - "The GatorWing is most optimally set with .001 degree increments made possible by the MicroAdjustWingTool."

@ShaneH‌ - "With the MicroAdjustWingTool, my stack never fades. The ladies love my hips forward posture."

• Baller
a friend of mine machines 5 piece hard composite gauges in 2 -3 -3 1/2 -4 -5 degree angles and they stack to create any angle needed in 1/2 degree increments. my set is thin enough to fit in my caliper case on top of the calipers so they essentially take up zero ski case room.

• Baller
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I appreciate that there are lots of great wing Guage sets that come in ½° increments. But I already have a substantial investment in four sets of Goode gauges (two for each home). I'm hoping I can find a narrow ½° wedge to use with my existing wing gauges.

• Baller

I hope it is ok to put in 2 sligetly bit off topic questions?

Is there any ski manufactor that define 1/2 degree increment as standard settings?

What are the most comonly used angles (in descending order)?

I.E what guages do I need as beginner starting to use a wing?

• Baller

I use the liquid cut gages as well. They are very reasonably priced and nice. I don't think you could realistically get an angled shim to stay in place with any kind of consistency. Now cutting down a spare set of gages may be more realistic.

I'm obviously not going to be using my anytime soon. If you want to borrow my 7.5 and 8.5 gage so you can mark yours up and then shave them down, let me know. Even if you're a little off, as long as both are 7.4 or 7.6, I seriously doubt it'll make a noticeable difference.

• Baller

Thanks @Waternut‌, but it's not worth that much work to me. I'm actually fine with guesstimating between sizes the few times it's warranted. If a ½° wedge existed, I may have picked up a couple, but it's just not that important.

Out of curiosity, I called Mary at Goode today to see if they had anything like a ½° wedge, but like D3, they just do full sized gauges in half sizes and they sell them individually. I guess that's a good option too.

• Baller
I have two sets in 1/4 degree increments that Mark from http://liquidcut.com/ made for us. Originally got them made as an easy way for "Super Chicken" to make small changes herself when traveling without me to events instead of trying to move the fin. Turns out we all use them more than ever imagined. They are not the 2 sided gauges he shows on the site, but more standard like the previous ones mentioned. Detrick just got a set made after seeing ours.

• Baller

You just gave me an idea @MAD11‌ (*)

I'm going to ask Mark to cut me a thin wedge that is two-sided like his normal gauges. One side will be ½° and the other ¼°. If the ¼° side is used backwards, it will subtract ¼° from the wing gauge it is being used with, making it a ¾° gauge. One of these will turn any 7 gauge set into a 28 gauge set with ¼° increments--without the bulk.

Overkill? Yup, but I like it =)

• Baller
Definitely overkill!! I might be off on a tangent here but it seems like trigonometry would be easier? Therefore, I would wait for a sine from the great mathematician before cutting any new angles. Might want someone to cosine this first also.

• Baller

@SkiJay here is a picture of the angle gauge I have.

e1uno87aqrj8.jpeg

The person I got it from says it was designed by and manufactured for Jamie B. It is easily adjustable and sturdy. It may not be as precise as some but it is more than good enough for my abilities.

• Baller

Thank you @Chef23. I guess it can be as accurate as you want it to be. Even precisely cut angle gauges are vulnerable to inconsistent use due to the rocker at the tail of most modern skis.

I hope you're making progress with your shoulder.