Who's the one skier you'd wanna have a beer or two with and just talk skiing.

Wish

• Baller_

Can be past or present (but alive). Any of the three events or all. Can toss out reasons why. I have trouble just thinking of one but if I had to choose.

Terry Winter: 5'10" and gets deep into 41.....just one question for him...HOW ?!?!

with a close second;

Freddy Krueger: after listening to him a couple years in a row now as an announcer for The Cal Open (I believe) just makes me appreciate has deep knowledge of all 3 events and the deeper knowledge of various skiers past and present.

• Baller

@Wish Having had the chance to sit down with Terry, that is an excellent choice. At the risk of sounding like a kiss ass, I would have to say @Horton. I would love to see how he balances it all--family, web-site, job, kids, skiing. That would be a good day.

My second choice of someone I HAVENT sat down with would be Regina. I got a chance to visit for a minute at a tournament she was at, and her knowledge of this sport is vast!

I don't know of a pro that WOULDN'T sit down and have a beer if they have time, as they are so humble and grateful to be doing what they are doing.

• Baller

I think Andy Mapple, to ski at the level he is still at this age is like... Or now with my new found hero in Jeff Rodgers, would be cool to have a couple coronas and learn some more. There are so many greats out there it's tough to pick. I have been fortunate to meet quite a few of the big names between Florida and Calgary, they all are great guys, love to talk about the sport, no matter what level your at. I'd like to see anyone walk up to Patrick Kane or Tiger woods and talk their respective sports.... Not a chance. I spoke to TW quite a bit over 3 days in Calgary, he is a great person, really down to earth guy!

• Baller

Agree with @Mateo_Vargas…If I could sit down and have "a" beer with a skier it would probably be @Ed_Brazil for the same reason, or maybe @Than_Bogan (I've never hung out with anyone with a 50lb brain).

Or if we were going to have a dozen beers, maybe @Brady, CP, and Ristorcelli. That could be fun...

• Administrators

This is a hard one for me. I would like to have beers with Roger Teeter or Dave Saucier Or Jeff Jobe.

I remember meeting Roger as a child. If you do not know who Roger is shame on you! Google this "roger teeter ep composite structures"

I do not think I ever met Saucier. I think Dave passed away last year.

Jeff Jobe is still somewhere around Seattle. I have met his son who works for Ronix. Like Teeter, I met Jobe as a child at my dad's lake. All these years later I would LOVE to hear some of those stories about the early days of the ski industry.

Or from another point of view, Mike Hazelwood. We are actually "friends" on facebook but I do not know if I have ever actually talked to him. I am afraid it might turn into many beers...

• Baller
I would prob throw @Horton‌ on the list. I'm guessing he could teach you a little about all the skiers. Just the impression I get.. And from a brief encounter during the debut of the new prostar in Calgary seems like an interesting insightful guy. And he likes spiced rum..

• Baller

For me, probably Kris LaPoint. I did a course setout job for him a couple years back at his new

place in Orlando. His wife is getting some good news soon.

Although Joe is deceased and ineligible: I went to Joe Cash's ski school in Sarasota in 1964,

and he told me some things about jumping that still apply today. From that era, Chuck

Stearns was first a standout performer in Boys and then later in Men. He participated this

year in the West version of the Legends event. Would particularly like to talk to him about

the Catalina race, which I think he won at least once.

Terry Winter was a great help back in year 2000, when the Malibu US Open was held on Lake 3

at Bell Acqua. He helped with simulating jump boat and skier paths at a very tight site.

We moved the jump ramp back about 40' toward the 600 buoy, and still it was a struggle for

some jumpers to miss running up on the turn island. As Bruce Neville did. Toni Neville earned

$25,000. there for a world jump record. 3 women, best of my memory, exceeded the current

record: Toni, Emma, and Britta. Scot Ellis just missed on $50,000. by a foot with a 70.1m

distance, which still stands as his PB. Jaret's 70.3 was the record then. I believe that Jamie

Beauchesne won that SL, and I would just like to find him and find out what he is doing now.

Personally, I wish I had kept a diary back when, so I could write the tell-all book, ho-ho.

• Baller
Kris and Jen LaPoint - Jen coached me for a set last year at LaPoint ski park. Not only was she super nice but her coaching style made you think about what you were doing. There really are too many folks on the ski list that would be fun to meet and hang out with. The ski industry has got to have the best ambassadors in ALL of the sports (IMHU).

@Horton‌

not sure if thats a rhetorical question leading to a bad example of mine...

but yeah I like his approach & thought process. He looks at it from a mechanical/physics perspective which I can relate to. I prefer the cause and consequence approach, Im not very good and applying immediate change on the water. taking info away and analysing works better for me, this is where MB helps.

(Also I took a year out and free ski'd best thing I've ever done)

• Baller
Bob LaPoint was "the man" when I first got interested in skiing. He and Kris also made it big initially with Maherajah skis. They actually skiid on the river going through Healdsburg, my home town, where Bob Maher had his shop at the time. I've known Bob Maher since I was young, but have never met Bob LaPoint. Would love to hear his stories about those early years of skiing and how the sport grew.

• Baller

Wade Cox has got to be at the top of my list. I've had the pleasure of skiing with him a number of times. He is just the funnest and coolest person to be around and talk with. He has more stories to tell than anybody I've met. Just a fun cool guy.

Also, Karina Nowlan. Because.... its Karina! Come on!

• Baller
In my youth I got to boat judge/time quite a few times with Dave Saucier and Roger Teeter (EP was based in St. Paul for a while). Roger was really tinkering with fin design then and did the welded-on wings and it was really interesting to hear his ideas. Horton, you are right, Dave Saucier passed away in May of '13. He never really got into ski design when I was around but had an endless supply of really hokey jokes. As a hanger-on, I was able to have a few rounds with KLP and BLP and once you got them going on technique and ski design, it was an education. Today, if Nate Smith would hang out with an old fart, I'd love to hear how he makes it look so easy.

• Baller

I've probably had a beer with Ken White. At least, I did visit his site in Texas quite a few years

back. On the video posted a few posts up, note his 2-ski tricking, particularly the 2-ski

"walkaround" stepovers. Strict judging might NC them because of no hesitation in the back

position.

Others has the "walkaround" stepovers in both directions. One may have been Liz Allan.

One of these years, I'd like to have a 2-ski ONLY trick competition (just one pass) over the

Hall of Fame weekend in April at Grew Lake. ?Who would be the top competitors?

• Supporting Member

I really do need to meet @Horton face-to-face someday. @Edbrazil is a great choice, but I get to hang with Ed several times a year at NH tournaments. And Marcus Brown would be a GREAT conversation -- he and I have more in common than either of us would want to admit. But if I really have to pick just one, I think it's gonna be Whitney McClintock. She's the only person at that level that I look at and think "Maybe, just maybe, I could ski like that." Would be awesome to pick her brain and see if I can get my style a little closer to hers.

Holy crap, somebody mentioned me. @Horton you may want to ban him for obvious insanity.

• Baller

Should have mentioned about Ken White: World Champion in Tricks in 1965 in Australia. Only

time that the Worlds has gone to OZ.

Warren Witherell (RIP also) was a very interesting person, and made his comeback in Seniors when

his daughters started skiing tournaments. Although known nearly exclusively for his Slalom, he

was also World Tricks Champ in 1953, and was the first person to jump 100'. (1954 Nationals;

others went longer later in the event.) I saw Warren at the 1956 Easterns on my home lake, where

he had a full 2nd run of 1-ski tricks. Which consisted of a bunch (17+?) of consecutive 360's.

A Rules change limiting consecutive turns followed shortly afterward.

• Baller_
Although this repeats several comments, the skier I would most want to sit down with for a beer is Ed Brazil, for three reasons. First, he'd really appreciate the beer. Second, I have the opportunity to sit down with him. Third, he is a wealth of institutional knowledge about the sport of water skiing. Maybe it is just me, a former history major, but I find the history of the sport to be fascinating. Also, Ed is a hugely technical guy, with lots of "tried that" information. When guys like Ed are gone, we are going to be left to the archives at the Hall of Fame and trial and error. Talking with a contemporary skier is all well and good, indeed who wouldn't want to talk to any of those guys, but in my view talking with those with an intimate history of the sport is the more valuable conversation.

Lpskier

• Baller
@Horton IMO Chet was always a page or two ahead, at least that was the case when I was lucky enough to ski with him back in the day. Maybe we all know and understand the sport a lot better now thanks to the information age but the man was and probably still is ahead of the curve.

• Baller

I have had (english) tea with Mapple before and coffee with CP. If you dont know CP he loves his java beans.

I would say im fortunate to have had drinks with many of the top skiers out there today. Regina, Javier Juilo, Jodi Fisher, Marcus Brown, Adam Cord, Nick Parsons, Cale Burdick, Cory Pickos, Daniel Odvarko, Krista, Horton, Rossi to name a few. Having access to these skiers is awesome I would like to sit down with some of the greats and the guys who created the fondation of the sport we know today.