Skiing behind outboard boats

bowty

• Baller
REALLY Nice boats @Ryno and @VONMAN!.....The Barefoot warrior is a true classic and I always thought that Malibu Flightcraft - Barefooter was the best looking boat out there. I would think many Ballers have soft spots for outboards and the old Mercs, 'Rudes' and Johnsons since most of us learned to ski behind them when we were kids. Except probably @Horton!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I just ordered a new Mercury 200 Opt Max Pro XS for the old girl. Can't wait to try it out. Hull is carbon fiber (they were ahead of their time) and used to top out at 60mph with a land and sea torque shift prop and hydraulic jack plate. Like I said a blast from the past.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
@vonman that's a riot I have a land and sea hydraulic jack on the Falcon Barefoot and went through a couple of torque shift props. Came out of the hole at 13 pitch and shifted out to a 26 if I recall. Fantastic hole shot, acceleration and top end. Got rid of it after having blades decide to separate from the hub on a few occasions.

• Baller
@6balls Only thing I worry about with stepping on the cavitation plate is if their foot slips off. I'm comfortable doing it, but it's amazing how non-agile some skiers can be. That does get me to thinking though, we always used to board our friend's tri-hull by stepping on the ski bridle rope and it worked pretty good.

Our current ride is an 01 Stejcraft Pro-skier. A real popular choice in the day and currently the one for us. I have a few boats over the years and I always liked the space inside and low weight of the boats. It was always a pain in the derrier getting in and out. This boat however solved the problems. It's doing the job just nicely.

lt3iwi3g4nv3.jpg

s5y2jbwpeg54.jpg

• Baller
When I was in Jr High, I bought a 15' Starcraft, all aluminum boat, with a 33 HP Evinrude. Next season upgraded to a 50 Merc. Some of my best memories as a kid skiing with my buddies on the river. Chuck Sterns Wood slalom and ski belts. Had to drop a ski with the Evinrude for sure, could start on slalom with the Merc, but took a while.

@Dacon62 I agree. They were really popular and work well. The pods either side of the engine are moulded. The centre section has a hinge pivot on the transom, two gas struts back to the transom on either side and the inner hoop, for want of a better term, is teflon lined. Basically when trimmed down the centre section drops into the two pods and sits flush on a ledge and comes up when the motor is trimmed up.n7b2yc4eh4rt.jpg

• Baller_

@andjules If I saw a used boat in good shape like those in your pictures, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Awesome boats. The only drawback is early summer twilight skiing. And taking a june bug in the forehead!

I learned to ski behind a 13 foot Boston Whaler with a 30 hp Johnson. I don't think that baby would get me out of the water today but in its time, the Whaler had the best ski wake. Then the tri hull boats came along and they were even better. Mind you, we weren't yet tournament skiers- just a bunch of kids with $2 for a days worth of ski gas.

Lpskier

Wow, best forum I've seen on water skiing. Thanks to all who contributed, I learned a ton. Just bought a 94 Procraft 20' with the Merc 2.5 xri efi, 200 hp. It has a 3-blade, 14-1/4 x 24 stainless prop on it. Runs great, but crazy slow pulling this 225 lb. man, 25 lbs. of beer belly ballast mind you, out of the water. It'll do 65 mph easily with 2 people my size in it. Thinking about switching to a 4-blade, 14x23 Solas Amita aluminum prop, goal being better hole shot. Don't care about top speed. Not positive I'm gonna keep the thing so not wanting to plow a bunch of $$ into a prop. I'm sorry, but I do not currently know the WOT RPM. Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z375/melvinqjones/IMG_0491.jpg

• Baller
@Miles 24 pitch is too steep for that type of hull and a heavier skier. We ran a 21 pitch on a Concord Mach 1 which was both lighter and shallower than that hull and it was a 65 MPH boat with a 3-blade. I put a 5-blade 21P on it before we got our Malibu and the damn thing would literally jump out of the water when you hammered it. Would pull out 3 slalom skiers with little fuss.

Tried to edit my comment.... trying to figure out how to insert a picture without using photobucket... lost the whole thing. Thanks for previous comments. So, starting over: My boat is a '94 Procraft 20', 200 Merc XRI with a 14-1/4 x 24, 3-blade stainless prop on her. Looking for a better hole shot and not worried about top speed. Right now she does 65mph easily. Should I drop to a 21p? 19p? 4- or 5- blade? Your input will be appreciated, thanks.

• Baller

@miles I run a 19 3-blade on my ski centurion falcon barefoot with a 225 3.1 liter EFI Yamaha. Hole shot is WICKED...in fact to 55-60 is wicked if you dump the throttle from still and simultaneously come up on trim. It will run 70 with a 26 pitch but hole shot sucks with that prop.

The 19 is a great combo for my boat. Blistering hole shot, still pretty good top end. I think I could get away with a 21 as well and have a little less hole shot and a little more top end. At the time we put the 19 on we were pulling big barefoot lines etc (like 6, 200 lb dudes). With the 19 it will pull your cabin into the lake.

I didn't like the 5 blade...ok for skiing but not for trim up top end at all.

• Baller
@6balls @Miles that was my experience with the 5 blade as well. It didn't like being run near the surface and would lose hold to keep the hull up and out of the water for high speed running. The 21P LazerII was the perfect prop for that boat.

• Baller

The 200 xri merc is a small block motor whereas the 225 ox66 yam is a big block. A 19" pitch will be more ideal as a ski prop for the xri. It will turn a 21 which will be a good compromise of ski ability, holeshot and top speed but probably not be the best it can be for skiing

The laser ii prop is from the 80's and there are lots better out now. Basically anything in the current catalogue

The high 5 prop will be the best barefoot wash your boat can make. Very nice to slalom behind. Quick out of the hole. A bit weak in reverse (use some extra revs) and slower up top.

A nice modern 19 or 21 pitch 3 blade stainless should make you happy

I decide this year to restore the family boat that my dad purchase in 1989. I'm from Canada, Quebec (poor english) . The boat is a 1987 16' Cadorette Ski Master 160. Everything is rot in the hull. I don't have the place to work on it so I decide to go professionally. When i see the price of new boats... I decide to go that way.. The boat have a 1986 Evinrude V4 120. The boat will have a 2017 Evinrude G1 135 HO with a power steering. The boat will be done for spring this year. I made a album for the project on Google Photos: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPwPnUQCIr5GhxCa1-iE-XgiybHXTdJQfWHBPwP6NaBynRSntvok8jFfzP5Wbc7gg?key=THRMRTIzMUdIOTZZUEZTY0FSVlJpakNJNTlFVG5R 5fh7hrncx56m.jpg

z9zaqjtc8b1n.jpg

• Baller
Doesn't anyone else besides @GAJ0004 recall skiing a Hydrodyne tournament outboard? Those things have small wake and SO soft you barely feel it. Almost scary. Ugly boats, but great old performers that owned the tournament market i 70's and 80's before anything else.

• Baller
@MDB1056 I vaguely remember skiing behind a Hydrodyne sometime in the late 70s. My only reference back then would have been the Canadian JCraft outboards that I posted on the first page of this thread. I recall the Hydrodyne having a better (bigger) trick wake, a little bigger slalom wake (vs JCrafs; but smaller than inboards of the time, at least at 28-30mph). And yes, they were ugly! Still popular in the showskiing world.

• Baller
I loved and owned two Hydrodynes. My first was a 17'6" 1973 IO powered by a Mercruiser Ford 305 V8. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think they looked lean and mean! Slalom wakes were good as were the trick wakes. The tracking was interesting as the rounded back of the boat allowed it to roll up on each side. Tournament wakes behind the twin outboard hardly existed, My second was a 93 Comp. Would ski and drive that one anytime! Tracking was phenomenal.

The wake have not change with the new engine and is ok for me. The power is incredible it track better with this engine. You can throw the hull out of the water with a little trim. I learn to ski behind this boat. The boat stay at the lake most of is time but last year we took it on a river and ride a couple of hours it was awsome.

I have a 93 Ski Brendella Barefooter with a 225 Suzuki. Skis Great. I installed Perfect pass 2 years ago. There was not enough room under the motor hood for the servo so I had to do a remote mount.

5ovfnwtngbwd.png

I had to try a couple different springs till i found one that worked well. I also built the linkage so it can extend to fine tune the spring rate.

yz5nrte2o7qs.jpg

Servo and linkage mounted behind the back seat

The cable from the linkage to the motor is only about 4ft.

4kz2pvo1oo7b.jpg

And a pic of the whole boat

rgk2uz9mj8vt.jpg

Brother in law and Father in law also have outboards. The middle one is a 1970 something Cougar with a 200 Merc and the one on the right is a 1970 something Swiftsure with a 120 Johnson