Courses in Wisconsin

Hello,

I am new to course skiing, former 3 event barefooter. Just recently started skiing courses and would like to improve and possibly start competing. I was wondering if anybody knew of courses in the southern Wisconsin area, I'm near madison. I have a MC197 that I could bring or be whiling to pay for sets.

Thanks for the help.

You're probably familiar with the public course on Lake Monona. There's a couple private lakes in Dousman (an hour away of course), one of which has a pretty infamous course on a world class lake, but I'm not sure if either lake allows us common folk without being a guest of someone's. I have a portable course that hardly ever gets used now that I moved up to Madison and away from small lakes with nobody on them, but would bring it out if you had a place to set it up in mind.

Still foot at all? I'm more into that than traditional 3 event and always looking for others.

• Baller
Still Waters, though otherwise a private site in Dousman hosts great tournaments all summer. Great site and great people there so try to get to a tournament there next year if you can. Their fall tournament is an annual highlight for me.

Yeah that's probably an hour from Madison too, but worth it if you've dying to get in a course again. I forgot there's also the course on the Neosho Millpond if you're willing to drive that kind of distance. It's a way better public course than Monona, mostly since the lake is way smaller.

• Baller

@skimtb there is a course on the Upper fox south of Lake Butte des Morts

It has permanent anchors and several folks ski there regularly! They all have their own bouys and clip them in and ski and then unclip

When done! They are not allowed to leave bouys in overnight!

I ran my first 28 there behind my brand new 88 Nautique and my first

-35 behind my buddies new 2012 200! Good bunch of skiers!

Msg me for contacts!

I recently moved to Madison. I am looking to meet a few people who ski in the Madison area. I am a novice, but looking to get better in the course. Happy to bring my boat or pay for gas to do some fall skiing. Let me know if anyone has any tips or know of any clubs in the area.

• Baller

@teammalibu could you send me the info about the course on the upper fox? Sounds like that might be the closest course for me being in the Milwaukee area.

@newskierinwi we are in Oconomowoc, about 45 mins outside of Madison. No course but we ski quite a bit if you want to connect!

• Baller
@WIRiverRat , just out of curiosity, where's the course in Lax? I hooked up a few years ago with some guys that helped pull for the ski team, but just free slaloming, no course. My son moves in at UWL in two days.

• Baller
I'm in CA but have family that lives in Albany Wi. About 5 years ago we went Jet Skiing on a little patch of the Sugar river that is Decatur Lake near Broadhead. It was shallow but possibly ok for tournament boat; I would investigate depths before launching, but about perfect size for a slalom course. You launch here https://goo.gl/maps/nySrmQFqiXF9xohe9 but Decatur is just west. If you put one in there I will come visit!

• Baller

Hucklefin,

We put the buoys in as soon as the ice melts. When the river is low we can pull everything to the surface and just clip on balls. No need to get wet. Once the spring floods start we would have to dive to connect everything. However once the balls are in we usually can't help it and start skiing. I think the water was 37F for the first run this year.

• Baller
@dtrumbower This is my primary ski spot. I very rarely ski the course, but I just bought myself some buoys. Lots of good & helpful crews frequent that area. Just FYI to people not in the know, you gotta bring your own buoys and don't leave them in overnight.