Hand Position Poll

dchristman

• Baller
It's finally spring and the discussion of hand position has resurfaced again - I assume in anticipation of a fresh start for the new year. I switched to the "correct" grip last year after 30-some years because of reading the discussions here. It has absolutely been a positive change for me. I thought a poll that shows a clear correlation with improvement would be useful for those contemplating the switch to know if it's worth the effort. I will define "correct" to be as in the other current thread on this topic - RFF:left palm up, LFF: right palm up.

• Baller

Early in my course skiing career someone recommended I switch. It seemed awkward at first, and I even used to get up with the wrong grip and then switch when out of the water. It didn't take too long to get used to, and I'm glad I made the switch.

Would I have progressed to skiing better and shorter ropes with the "wrong grip"…who knows? It doesn't seem to have hindered Jeff Rodgers...

• Baller_
I have tried switching my grip (from correct to incorrect) to take stress off my elbow. Switching is fine if I run the course slow and long and can two hand it, but if I have to let go with one hand while skiing switch, its like skipping, patting myself on the head, rubbing my belly and chewing gum, all at the same time.

Lpskier

• Baller
I made the switch several years ago and oddly for me it was harder than I thought. I've heard others say it's no big deal. I have a neighbor who switches anytime his tendinitis flares up and he skis the same both ways.

Chalk up another wrong. I hate skiing with the correct grip. I am RFF/RPU. I do a lot stuff weird though. I skateboard Mongo Regular which means I am left foot forward but I also push with that foot meaning my back foot never comes off the board. I wakesurf Regular but I spent the early years riding backside meaning with my back to the wake. It's something you almost never see. I can now ride either side equaly and its something that is coming in handy now that the dual wake era is at hand. But that's top secret. >:)

Just to spice this up a little. I have always used the correct hand position but onmy deep water starts, the line is on the incorrect side! Ie I'm LFF, and the rope is on the left of the ski! I had never noticed till some smart Alec pointed it out. Tried switching but can't get up - ha ha!

• Baller

For the 11% (as of 6/4/16) who haven't tried switching, give it a try. A couple I ski with wouldn't listen to me, but went to Coble's a few weeks ago and April convinced them to give it a try. They are happy with the improvement on their offside.

12036460_613707002121233_439283371594288

• Baller
I am RFF and when I started slaloming the coach-driver told me to switch my grip. So weird at the beginning but improved my off side for sure. And my right elbow started to hurt because of bending it meaning I have a wrong position with my right arm.....and I have to straight my arm and i will not hurt anymore.....we will see. But definitly worth the try

I started out 30 years ago with wrong hand position. I used to try to remember to switch after I got up but it was just another thing to remember. This year I started out with the correct hand position. It allows me to have straighter arms, closer to my body. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be either.

• Baller
I skied with wrong hand position for many years until I found out from BOS I was doing it wrong. Made the change a few years ago. Took about a month to feel natural. I also get up with both palms down to save my elbow tendons.

• Baller
Just started playing around with hand position this year after reading several articles here. Haven't had enough time in the course yet to know if it helped or hurt so the jury is still out. Off-side turn definitely feels more solid. One thing i did notice is that my forearms get fatigued more quickly when switching to the "correct" grip after many years doing it "wrong". Top forearm and bottom forearm muscles seem to work differently when grip is switched.

• Baller
A few years ago I started deadlifting (which completely cured all of my nagging back issues). I naturally grip the bar (in a switch grip situation) with left palm down, and I'm a left foot forward skier. That summer I realized that my best power and "stacking" in a deadlift came with that grip, so I switched it. It certainly has aided my offside pull.