GoPro, Line Length, and possible WakeEye

For me, I had the same question. I found that SJCAMs are wayyyyy better than GoPro's for pylon mounting. I just got a SJ5000 wifi and it has 4x zoom options that make the camera perfect for skiing different lengths. Also, the SJCam is 100% compatable with all go pro accs. It works the same (if not better) as a go pro and is 1/4 the price (got mine for $139.00 delivered). The 5000 has the best image quality (1080p HD) and has 170 degree fish eye style lense. The thing is simply amazing! I will be using that on top of a Ski-Doc this season behind my prostar 190 and am excited to see how it helps my progress!

I got the Ski-Doc pylon mount (poor man's Wake Eye?.. perhaps). it helps to have the tracking still, but the 170 degree angle is amazing. I actually went with the Ski-Doc over the wake eye after watching @horton 's videos of both. To me, the ski-doc looked like it didnt bounce as much as the wake eye does from line slack (I could be totally wrong on that but it was my take away). The Ski-Doc is only $69.00 delivered. I know that the camera is hands down the way to go... as for the tracking you sill would need a wake eye or a ski-doc (or a homemade ski-doc) to get it right. Like Horton has said, not everyone can have a pro photographer tracking every pass... the ski-doc/wake eye helps with that.

• Baller
I know that @Horton films most of his videos with a Wakeye and his phone. The Wakeye app turns on the camera when you approach skiing speed so you don't have a lot of dead space also. I have an older camera mount but I am thinking about a Wakeye for this summer to use with my phone.

• Baller
Hortons wakeye works extremely well for him but I have 2 friends in Canyon Lake that have them but for some reason their's shake excessively! Not sure what is different, but theirs aren't worth using! Maybe they don't have them attached correctly? I don't know, you all have seen Hortons video, it speaks for itself! Personally, I didn't want to spend the money so I got the Ski Doc and use a Samsung Galaxy S5 for filming. My only complaint is the phone mount that I have. Gotta find a better one! Otherwise the Ski Doc and phone combination is great!

• Members
@volsandskis I went the super cheap version and made a camera mount for the pylon out of PVC pipe. I just got some pipe with an internal diameter as close as possible to the pylon. Cut it to approx 400mm and glued a cap inside the pipe (to rest on the top of the pylon) and a cap that went over the out side of the pipe to screw a mount to for my iPhone. I just made a mount but there are plenty you can buy for your specific phone. Then cut a groove up from the bottom of the pipe for the rope to sit in. It works perfectly with virtually no shake from slack line whip. A phone is great to use as they have pretty awesome cameras anyway and I have the Wakeye app which makes the camera a 'set and forget' video recorder and also has a zoom function within the app. There are a few threads with some of the guys creations if you can track them down.