Nautique trailer question

lpskier

• Baller_
A friend of mine just got a screaming deal on a "used" 2014 200 with 8/10ths of an hour on it. It came with a dual axle Ram Lin trailer, and the spacing between the hull and the trailer fenders is very tight. The boat on the trailer sits below the upper level of the fenders, so if the boat is slightly misaligned coming out of the water, it will hang up on the fender and not sit on the corresponding bunk. I have seen several of these trailers with crumpled fenders and boats with scraped up chines. Has anyone figured out an easy solution to make sure the boat loads correctly and settles squarely between the fenders with no hull hang up?

Lpskier

• Baller
I have the same trailer. I usually float my boat on the trailer. To keep the boat from hitting the fenders pull the trailer out VERY slow when pulling out of the ramp. I have never had the boat sit on the fender. You have less of a chance of getting on the fender if the trailer is not so far in the water but I have a colored bottom and don't want to scratch it. Another key for ease of loading is spray some tire shine or WD- 40 on the carpet where the boat contacts the hull ( usually a few feet in front of the fenders ) towards the front of the trailer. WARNING, if you spray the carpet do not disconnect the boat till you have the boat in the water.

• Baller
I would make some ropes that attach to the rear lifting ring/tow eye. Attach them to the guides on the trailer. Measure them so they are taunt when the boat is sitting on the trailer. I would float the boat on to the trailer, hooking up the winch, and the ropes. The boat should be lined up so it does not hit the trailer fenders. Pull the boat out of the water slowly. That should work.

• Baller
I live on a river close to a brackish bay so I bought an old, perfect condition galvanized SN 2001 trailer. I had the same issue with my 98 SN 196. I had a new, wider axle put on and the fenders moved out. It now fits perfect. Is not a cheap alternative, but it was the best way to protect the boat. Painted trailers just don't last down here. I don't know if your trailer will really allow the same modification,but I would look into it.

• Baller
As was mentioned if you have a white hull that will not show scuff marks easily you can run the trailer shallower so the bunks really keep the boat centered. I do this on my Response LXI for the same reasons, I have ended up completely on top of a fender when the trailer cleared the water line. It does scuff up the hull but I have been successful in buffing the marks out each season. If you trailer your boat (which I used to) all the time they can get pretty bad from using this method to load the boat.