SN 200 5.7/ 6L

EF23

• Baller
@scotchipman I've noticed the same thing. Most 6.0L 200's run the Acme 668 prop. Most 5.7L 200's run the Acme 654. The 668 has a .150 cup. The 654 has .105 cup. My theory is that the heavier cupping makes the slalom wake feel harsher.

• Baller

@swc5150 has a good point. But if you are above 4000 feet you'll want the 6.0. Our lake is 4500 ASL and the lake is 2100 feet. I don't know if the 5.7 would be able to get the boat up to speed with that length of lake. I know there was a new PS with the 5.7 that couldn't get up to speed by the time it hit the 55's. I've skied at higher elevations and the 200 is a dog so more HP is better the higher you go.

• Baller
Fuel savings is kind of a oxymoron when talking about boating. It's like asking your Dodge dealer what the gas mileage is on a Viper. The 6 liter is better on fuel usage because it operates at roughly 300 RPMs less then the 5.7. But you would have to buy a lot of gas and keep the boat a long time to make up for the cost of the engine. Buy the 6 liter you won't be sorry.

• Baller

Are there any disadvantages to getting a closed cooling system other than price?

I saw a used 6L with closed cooling for sale in Miami and I was curious if it was used in salt water.

If so, is that bad even on a closed system.

• Baller

I have a 2011 5.7 Great boat, no plans to change till something better comes along. When I bought it (Dec 2010) I had skied the 5.7 but not the 6.0. Was tempted to get the 6.0 but all advice was it didn't ski as well. Now, having skied lots of 5.7's and 6.0's I would go 6.0 hands down. IMHO the 200 and the 6.0 is a match made in heaven. I am 200+ and into 38 and I think the 6.0 is smoother, less swing. I think 5.7 gets pulled down a little more of ZO has to add a little more. Not that the 5.7 is bad, it is very, very good, just the 6.0 is better.

Closed cooling is also better, all PCM 6.0's have it (not on MC though). Even in fresh water any silt, sand and so forth you may suck up never gets in your engine. Engine also stays wet during storage. Worst comes to worst replacing a pump and heat exchanger is way cheaper than a re-power or new boat.

6.0 all the way if you can swing it.

• Baller

@mbabiash It is my understanding that ALL CC 6L's come with the closed cooling..That is the way my 2011 CC200 6L came, and I am glad it did, with the all aluminum engine.

Also, having had both MC and CC boats when I lived in Hawaii, it was esential to have the closed cooling system..It still helped to flush after use in salt water, regardless.

• Baller
I have had one 5.7 200 and am on my 5th 6.0 200. 5.7 Data: With the stock (in 2010) 12.5X14.25 approved prop after break-in it would run 39.9 mph gate down and 41.1 gate up (rev limiter limited with gate up). With a 12.5x15 (current approved prop for the 5.7) it would run 40.9 gate down and 42.6 gate up (NOT rev limiter limited). Once I topped 100 hours and switched to Royal Purple synthetic oil (I like to get at least 100 hours of break-in before I go synthetic to ensure they are completely broken in) it would run 43.4 gate up. This was a back-to-back test at the lake, same day, same wind, same temp. I made a top speed runt at 42.6 on Dino oil, changed the oil to Royal Purple synthetic then ran a top speed run of 43.4. 6.0 Data: All five of my 6.0's would run 47 or better with the gate up. My '14 and '15 both seemed a little stronger, running 49 or slightly more. The 6.0 is a MUCH better match for the 200. I highly recommend it. Also, if you are going to be barefooting, it is the only way to go.

• Baller
I can confirm @skiinxs numbers. I have a 2010 5.7 with 890 hours - it will run 43.6 on Royal Purple with the gate up and the 654 Prop (12.5x15). I also have a 2011 6.0 with 1300 hours - it will run 49.3 on Royal Purple with the gate up and the 668 Prop (12.5x15.5 with .150 cup).