OB4 System in action

JJVDMZN

• Supporting Member
Incredible video. That's the kind of crazy thing where you can easily get hurt so it's awesome to see the ski just pops off and he slides away. That makes me feel even better about my investment last season to get on OB4.

Is he on a rear toe loop or two OB4's? If that is two OB4 isnt the rear tension set too low? I don't think I would have released from my boots there and maybe even skiied away? (I am terrible and land off the 2nd wake too far back all the time.

Not bashing the boots for safety at all though, I am trying to get some for myself and wife and friends here at SMRR. Just maybe a setup question?

@kfennel, OB4 with double Vapor boots. Note that the ski turned 180 degrees, the ski hit the water sideways tip first, I think he could have had bad injuries if the system did not release.

You must be very good to ski away from that.

• Baller
As a very happy to-date Fogman user (12+ years), this video seems very impressive to me. Of course i don't know about the set up (spring tension, etc.) but the release seems very effective and appropriate. Glad no injury. Good job OB4!

• Baller

@kfennell I agree with you. While not a premature release by any stretch, the fall he took is one I would have been fighting to save. If you stay in, you'd better never give up trying to save it. But you end up with a lot more energy in the fall if you do fall.

Release preferences are very personal - as are tolerances for injury risk. And the type of injury (like flailing ski lacerations vs torn tendons).

OB4 bindings are well engineered and constructed. The philosophy is aimed at the highest release safety and it does a good job of that. They might not be aimed at maximum retention or buoy count at any risk. It's great to have that option.

Eric

• Baller

@JJVDMZN thanks for posting that video, hopefully it will answer some questions for a lot of people. OB4 is designed to release in that kind of twisting, sideways fall better than most other release systems.

It looked to me as if he was totally sideways when he hit the water, and not a saveable fall. So the releases worked exactly as they are supposed to. Glad he was not hurt.

No problem with release tension. The system is designed to stay with you no matter how hard you ski, but the release tension must match your aggressiveness, and your tolerances for injury as @eleeski stated.

I have gotten too old to risk injury to save a pass for an extra buoy, so I avoid falls like that. Thank Aiden for demonstrating that for everyone!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

@DefectiveDave, Aidan edgechanged right beind the boat, causing his ski to bounce. He has only recently skiing at 58km/h, so still a novice at that speed.

@kfennell both boots released at the same time, after Aidan and the ski did a 180 and hit the water.

Aidan has a bit of a sore shoulder but other than that no problems.

I now need to get him a new ski, his Mapple 6.0 is cracked from the fin to 1/3 up the ski :'(

• Baller
Let me point out to everyone that the Vapor boots have been modified to prevent the skier's foot from coming out of the boot. For the OB4 System release to work as intended, the foot must stay in the boot. That said, you can attach most hard shell types of water ski boots. But Not Rubber!

Mike's Overall Binding

@MattP it had a small crack about 5mm only on the top of the ski from Aidan hitting a submerged solid buoy about 2 months ago, but after the fall the crack was much longer, 1/3 the length of the ski on both top and bottom, two of the 4 fin screws were also ripped out.

Don't think it can be fixed

Can't blame Mapple Skis

• Baller

@JJVDMZN,

Actually his form looks better than mine, hehe. I only asked because I have been having a similar problem as of late now that I'm skiing 58 km/h more frequently and aggressively. In fact, this Saturday I almost took that same fall but got lucky when my fin caught just before I lost it (no video unfortunately). I've taken lots of hard-ish falls, but never directly behind the boat and that was probably the scariest close call I've ever had.

I hope his shoulder recovers quickly!

• Baller
@thager very few people on here know what a Saucier ski is or looks like! I still have a copy of an article Dave wrote about tuning the bevels on slalom skis...

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

Great system. I'm trying reflex right now. Had I seen these first, I'd be on them. Still paying for this one. 100% product failure(not my Reflex). Not even a bad fall, other than the damage done.

img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5017617/uploads/editor/5q/vxw5ekg1jvp9.jpg" alt="" />

• Baller
Thanks @eleeski, almost a year down to it but I'm starting back on the course this weekend. Just be careful guys. These boots look to be the safest yet. Be careful what you trust your feet, ankles, and knees to. If it seems too simple, it is.

I am using OB4 bindings in France for a year so far but never had the "chance" to do a very bad front fall...

I am only skiing 55 and 18 meters but out on buoy 3 last saturday, I should have release the rope as I was very late but finally I decided to go to buoy 4...

Crossing the wake I went forward and.... had a very impressive fall.

On the boat they thought I was dead, on the ground even worse....

I hit the water first on my ribs, 2 days later it stills hurt a lot.

Then my ski went over my head, or maybe all the way around and my ski hit the water on the side.

I felt the release and I was so happy just to feel a small twist tension on my ankle.

I was the first time I released with this new binding, I must say I am happy now for the money I spent.

I think that with my previous Reflex, I would have torn my ankle.

These bindings are not very popular in France, I haven't seen anybody using them so far.

This is my little story today...

Have some good ski.

Nicolas

@aupatking Is that a Lisfranc fracture? If so that is no joke and probably one of the worst injuries I've seen. My wife did this a year ago and its been a "Life Changing" injury. She still limps and has pain in her foot. She is starting to ski again put its not the same. I've talked to one other skier that has done this injury as well. I hope your recovering well.

• Baller
Bought the OB4 w Roxas due to ankle fracture last season. Two releases so far this season, one OTF, one OTR. Released perfectly both times with absolutely no ankle torsion and not even a hint of pain in the previously injured ankle. ECSTATIC with this system! I was surprised to find that so long as the lower boot straps are snug, the system will release even if the ankle strap is only modestly tightened. The slightly looser ankle strap is imperative for mobility, as suggested by @Than_Bogan.

• Baller
@desmonipoux and @jdk99 , love to hear those stories! Even more glad to hear that you are able to ski with confidence and the assurance that the OB4 System works!

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller
@Nick Sullivan not to hijack this thread, but I, embarrassingly, admit I don't know the name of the fracture, aside from a Talar Navicular fracture. I had a follow-up surgery Tuesday before last, and am hoping to get my stitches removed in about 20 minutes. I will be dealing with this for the rest of my life, but am hopeful that it will be limited. The comfort/discomfort since this last surgery has been highly encouraging.

@aupatking Very sorry to see that picture I remember all to well the feeling in my ankle and in my gut looking at my ankle pre and post surgery. I had the same fracture (and dislocation) last July from an OTF fall with no binding release. It's the reason I'm on this thread trying to figure which binding system gives me the best chance of avoiding similar severe injuries in the future. Hope your recovery is fast and full, it took me about 6 months all told to get back to normal activity and I'm still no where close to full ankle mobility.

Thanks to all who have shared their thoughts/opinions on advantages and disadvantages of the various systems.

Hi all

I've got an OB4 system coming in the post to me right now. It's going on my A3 which I bought because I was due for a new system and the fact that the ob4 system will fit perfectly on it.

I'm coming off 12 months off the water due to 5 fractures in my mid foot and tearing cartilage in the sub talor joint.

Can I ask what tension you guys are running.

I'm 220lbs ( running 55K @ 22 off (for now) - looking at 58K soon hopefully. What tension would you suggest?

Also @Than_Bogan I can't open the link?

Thanks so much @than_bogan's Appreciate the download and will read thoroughly. Just like others, I am progressing in the sport, and was looking around at all the scars those who have been skiing for 35 years have. ACL tears and rips, knees blown out, etc... Figured I might as well have the best equipment and the best chance of not hurting myself. Took a really hard OTF fall over the front of my D3 Helix 2 about a month ago, and thought I broke my back while I was still in the water. After the shock wore off, I was out for about a week with a lot of ice, heat, and stretching. Hope to never have that again. I currently have Radar Vector bindings, set-up just as the factory suggests, and I did not come out in the fall. Thanks for all the help, hope someone finds the commentary useful.