The most ideal place to live, work, and ski...do you live there or where would you go?

akale15

• Baller

Originally from northeast IN my wife and I currently reside in middle TN why she finishes physicians assistant school. With right about a year till graduation we have been getting into some serious conversations on where to move to next and have constantly been changing our mind. I currently work as an electrical project manager for a MEP contractor and when shes finished she can pretty much get a job anywhere but me not so much, so me finding a job is one stipulation. If we are not on the water we are out hiking/camping, fishing/hunting, and of course beer tasting. We have been enjoying the TN landscape, much more than good'ole flat IN, so we are looking for an area that has a little more to offer than just great ski sites (ex. FL) although would like to be able to ski at least 9-10 months of the year. And lastly we want to avoid the BIG cities (pop. ~500,000+) but this one I am afraid we are going to have have to settle on to a point.

So with that I throw this out there and thought I would reach out and ask you to weigh in on what makes where you live the best place to live, work, and ski. Or where you might move to if you could?

Because at 25 with no kids I don't want to get caught someplace wishing I would have looked for something more...

• Baller
If I were making that decision right now I would choose Utah as suggested by scotchipman, but that is because I want my waterski off season to be filled with snow skiing. I currently live in Northern California between Sacramento and Tahoe and it would be #2 on my list, but I would choose to live closer to a ski lake than I currently am. Since slalom skiing is something that can be done in a couple hours I would prefer living on a lake or within a few miles of a lake. This is in contrast to snow skiing which I can usually do all day from first chair to last chair. I don't mind driving an hour or maybe 90 minutes to get to a ski resort since I'll be there all day.

• Baller
MN tons of major corporations, huge tech sector. Great schools. Lakes everywhere, and at least 1dirt cheap ski lake. And then we have the other ski season, pond hockey, snowmobiling. Can't think of anywhere else I would live.

• Baller_

I’ve traveled and skied many sites across the country and I’ve always been partial to my site out in the sticks 50 miles north of Dallas. The only one I’ve seen that I’d give a second thought to is Sawmill outside of Columbus IN.

@oldjeep – one word: -20F. More words would follow, but this is a family site. :p

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
+1 to @Bruce_Butterfield comments. I'd even expand that to any of the sites in the DFW area. The climate is good, lakes pretty well spread throughout the area, great people, low cost of living, major airport, hot job market, and a VERY active construction market currently.

• Baller

really appreciate the input so far and the defending of your home state @oldjeep !

as for MA @Than_Bogan, I left one lousy climate in IN and now have found myself in a lousy area with no boat or ski sight within an hours drive. but would have to agree about the job market, know a good number of people working out that way.

my biggest complaint about indiana was if we were going to have winter, make it a winter. We hardly had enough snow to snowmobile, it was at least a weekend trip to MI to snow ski (which got expensive), and we would go a week of super cold then a week of pretty warm and you loose any progress for the lakes/ponds to freeze over.

as for Utah @scotchipman, we have been very interested in the West but know nothing of the ski scene outside of CA of course. and good point @TallSkinnyGuy about living near the lake and willing to drive for some snow skiing. It is much more difficult to get in the car and drive an hour plus for a 20min ski session.

I would have to say Texas has been on the radar so I was glad to hear the input @Bruce_Butterfield and @klindy

• Baller
Ever thought about Portland, Oregon? Theoretically you can ski here 12 months a year. I ski 8-9 months a year depending on the year. Pretty good snow skiing out here to, except this year. Hunting and fishing is world class. Big cities are close and a pretty good selection of ski lakes/clubs up and down the i5 corridor. Oh, and the ocean is an hour away. I'm from Michigan and absolutely love it out here.

• Baller
Houston!!!! Over six private ski sites, one under construction, and 8 months of skiing. The worlds largest medical center, and plenty of engineering jobs. Come see us. -brought to you by the Chamber of Commerce

• Baller
Southern New England is hard to beat. CT and RI. There are some great hidden ski sites, a 5 to 6 month ski season, lots of clean fresh water, beautiful beaches and ocean, hills, forests, farms, great food, excellent schools, very nice medium size cities Hartford and Providence, four distinct seasons, and big mountains about a two hour ride north. I've also lived and skied in southern New Jersey which is very nice, and the Marin Co. - San Francisco Bay Area which is also very nice. All in all I'll say southern New England is hard to beat.

• Supporting Member

Hey, I never said my area was a good choice! In fact, I seriously doubt I will continue to live here after my kids are both off to college in about 8 years.

Personally, I would probably aim for something like Austin TX. But Portland OR may be a lot more realistic because my wife hates extreme heat and sun. Portland has pretty darn mild winters (for me), but is also pretty cool in the summer (for her).

• Baller_

I see myself living in two locations, eventually. Florida in the winter and Michigan in the summer. My wife can't give up Michigan and does not like the extreme heat like I do.

All places have their drawbacks. Probably the big thing to consider is how available and plentiful the water supply is (both in lakes and for drinking/residential consumption)

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I live south of Houston and LOVE IT! Can ski year round, 30 mins from city, 25 mins from ocean, and Houston is a progressive city with tons to offer. And in this case for both you and your wife. There is 11 lakes within an hours drive of downtown Houston and even more within a 4 hour radius. LA & FL are also close enough to drive in a day / day & 1/2.

Not all of Texas is as beautiful as he locals would like you to believe but Hill Country and being close to the ocean mean lots to sight seekers and adventurers all the same!

There are too many places everywhere that could meet what you're after.........think you just need to find a place and set some roots!

• Baller

Come on down to Whitestone, in Talking Rock, GA. In the North Georgia mountains with lots of outdoor activities and only an hour to Atlanta when you want a fix of city excitement. Climate is outstanding, you are able to see the fall beauty without the bitter cold winters and the summers are nice and long.

We have lots of property for sale too!

http://www.whitestoneskiclub.com/RealEstate.aspx

10672179_1488506594730556_89792899468135

10311710_1488506164730599_32796072805255

• Baller
@Onside135 The Gulf has beaches, you can't see the shore on the horizon, cruise ships and tankers sail in it, its salt water and its large enough to create hurricanes. What else do you require of an Ocean?

• Baller

Unless you want too live under the yoke of an expensive, overreaching, idiotic state government avoid CA.

Lot's of ski sites and great weather but I'm no longer sure if it is worth the cost.

• Baller
Growing up as a kid always wanted to live down south. A couple years in Florida and Texas cured me. Couldn't handle the summer heat! Christmas without snow just did not feel right. I like a little snow occasionally!! Back in Minnesota where I belong.

• Baller

Don't write of FL too quick, more here than just great sites:

v3if1n7et2hj.jpg

gqmgvifqxwly.jpg

No mountains and no snow but everything else, particularly water sports. Great fishing (world class), diving, sailing, tennis, golf, biking and of course water skiing. Okeeheelee has 5 perfect tournament lakes for $75 a year. Wellingion/West Palm Beach avg highs in mid 90's, lows in mid 70's, nice on-shore breeze most of the time keeps air clean. subz8nj021sm.png

No income tax, 6% sales tax, close to Miami for big city fun, very close to Carribean for travel.

When we decided to go somewhere warm thought AZ too hot summer/too cold winter, CA too crazy politically/financially, most of TX inland and hot in summer. Left Seattle with killer hiking/camping, fishing/hunting, mountains and of course beer tasting. Wet and damp 9-10 months a year, 30 to 60 day stretches with no sun typical. 35 and wet is cold than 25 and dry. Love it here with temps in the 80's most of the time and lots of sun.

An old wise friend mad this comment to me and It's been true form. You can live where you want to live, and do what you have to do to live there, or you can do what you want to do and live where you have to live do what you want to do.

That being said, Raleigh NC area is a nice place to live with a nice tourney lake, and several private sites to ski otherwise, and not to mention lots of pro skiers call it home and live there year around.

• Baller
Looks like lots of great suggestions here. Certainly depends on what your recreational activities are. Many factors to consider - weather, affordability, variety of things to do, is it a good place to raise a family? Where I live in Illinois is probably not where I would have picked coming out of college, but I have a great family around me and it is fairly affordable (ie: not Chicago, CA, or NY). Of course, if you want to live ON a lake - then GA, TX, NC, and FL would be my top options - although TN isn't bad either!

• Baller

@akale15 Thank you! P.S. I am also from Northern IN, my wife and I spent a year in middle TN after school as well. Come down and ski!

@gginco Most people seem to ski from beginning of March to Thanksgiving.

• Baller
Yeah. California. Pffft. You can only water ski 9 months comfortably (or all 12 with a little neoprene), our snow in the Sierra is heavy, our surf (in an actual ocean) is too big and too cold, we only have 27 national parks, we are lacking in natural environment - only have coastal mountains, high alpine mountains, desert mountains, volcanic mountains, huge amount of ag land, tall redwoods, gigantic fat redwoods, wine country (everywhere), fly fishing and white water, Lake F'ing Tahoe, tech and engineering jobs. It is expensive, everyone is liberal, everyone is LGBT, everyone drives tiny electric cars, there's no water (true). Better stay away.

• Baller

Little update on my thoughts based upon the thread the last few days....

CA would probably be top choice if I had no limitations, and could promise to always have water...

UT would be a great option as well esp. seeing the views @scotchipman shared.

AZ and TX would offer great year around skiing and very open job market (TX specifically)

FL there really would be no question on finding a place to ski

MN is def. for those that love cold, harsh, long, white winters, and just a few months of skiing

Can't say I would ever move to the NE.

And to be quite honest, with a few exceptions of course, I am not even sure if there really are any Central Time Zone states (sorry ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, AR, MO, IA).

However, after getting the wife involved (since I guess she will be the one making the money and will be keeping my dreams alive of being a permanent ski bum) she has put the halt on the trip West (to far from family) and has insisted (non-negotiable) on living in the South where the options are either live on a lake with mountain views, or live near a lake in an ocean/beach community.

So for now it seems that TN, NC, SC, GA, FL are currently in the mix. Personally I think I'm in favor of (east) TN but have faith I could be happy anywhere we (she) choose(s) as long as I'm still skiing!

• Baller

@jimbrake. Yes, Carlsbad Lagoon. No drought in the ocean. If you pick your times can be excellent. I have a boat partner who has a condo and slip in Bristol Cove so 10 minute commute. Drop the boat off the lift and go. 30 min cleanup.

Mission Bay has a course and free ski area. San Diego Bay has some hidden secret spots of glassy water. Imperial Lakes would be buy a lot and build or get lessons from Chez.

I am a Northern Cali born and raised, but 9 years of college in SoCal the weather grew on me. I miss NorCal beauty and mountains, but the sunlight and great days bring good cheer. Now skiing year round brings more. Always looking for early birds to drive and ski.

• Baller
@Commuterfisher - that is cool that there is still a course on Carlsbad Lagoon. I drove by there at Spring Break and there was a lot of activity on the water, but couldn't see a course. You have to be an owner to ski there? I went to grad school at SDSU '85 - '87 and skied at Mission Bay. Good times. If you come back to NorCal to visit, come ski with us at Bell Acqua.

I'm a huge California fan. The is just so much to do and the weather cannot be beat. And if you don't like it, just about any climate is close enough to drive to for the weekend. Just make sure you plan the drive around the traffic - there are a lot of people here.

And there are many different parts of California, even some that are conservative!

For the most economic opportunity - bay area. Ski courses in berkeley and foster city, and fresh water site at the south end of San Jose. Culture isn't my favorite there - the kind of place where people spend time with each other to further careers and make connections.

Sacramento has more water and is way more low key. Still liberal until you get to placer/el dorado county to the west, then it's conservative politics. Lakes all over and a ski season from april to october. (you can ski longer but it's just cold)

Socal for the best weather and most people. A more friendly culture than norcal, but a lot less water and longer commutes. Courses in San Diego, carslbad, Canyon Lake, and then a bunch of private sites that are really too far to commute from in bakersfield, barstow, and palm springs.