HO V Type Review - First Rides

Horton

• Baller
@acmx sorry mate but that is exactly why you need to demo skis for yourself. One mans princes is another's bride from hell. Reviews are great but in the current format they are one mans personal opinion.

• Baller
Can't wait to hear more about the new HO V Type. I have a 2015 Superlite TX on the way. Decided on that based on Baller posts, a couple videos, talks with skiers, pro shop and manufacture rep's, and the realization that at 55 years old I'm very happy running 4 to 6 clean passes between my starter -15/32 and my max -32/34. In anticipation of its arrival, I keep hearing the few people that said go with the SL CX for 34mph ringing in my ear. We'll see, I'll have two weeks to exchange the ski. I am not reaching for -38/34, but rather preserving myself for 20+ more years of skiing and reading @Horton reviews.

• Baller
My buddy who has the V type that I tried texted me last night. Normally he can run 28 and get 2@32 every try. Last night he finally got the v type dialed in and he ran 32. For the 2nd time in his life. The first time was a ski school in mid July. Its working well for him!

• Baller

Just got my V-Type with a front OB4 Binding and RTP. I'm 50 and been skiing for only six months. Learned on an HO Freeride but my coach suggested to get a ski that would allow me to start working towards the course. I debated between the CX Superlite and the V-Type for a while but my logic was that the crossover CX was not a Freeride for any type of water and was not a course ski so I went for the V-Type.

After reading the thread I'm not sure I made the right choice. It seems I got a ski that is for very experienced Ballers. I'm currently skiing at 28-30 MPH

Will this ski work for me?

• Baller
@Tequespray while the V-Type is a high end ski many of the newer high end skis are pretty forgiving. At slow speeds you might be better off on a bit wider ski but depending on your size the V-Type will probably work fine. If you haven't used a hardshell the OB4 may take some getting used to.

• Baller

I don't think @Horton got paid off to say he loves this ski. It's advancing modern day philosophy in an uncharted fashion in my opinion. Get ready for some incredibly fun G Force rail turns and wake crossings that feel like a pebble in the road at 100 mph. I think sufficient and patient counter rotation is the only mandatory technique and after that just enjoy the ride. This thing skis just differently enough to bring some freshness and new fun to the sport! Nice work Syndicate team!

• Baller
@horton I've never heard anybody call out "semi anti counter rotation". Is that West Coast Slalom 2.0? LOL. I am curious what semi anti counter rotation means. I think you mean it's not that important that you counter on the V-Type which I would completely agree with. I found that a sufficient (not exaggerated) and patient counter (not rolling shoulders into the turn) makes the turns feel like a ride in an F-16.

• Administrators

@gginco This is a topic for another thread… and I think it has been covered in the past but I believe that counter rotation is misunderstood and over played. If you are in the right position through the second wake you will naturally open up as you flow into the ball.

The idea that you want to take your outside shoulder back is totally misguided. All that said when I am late and in trouble my go to On Side turn is big counter / butt slide/ dive bomb. I am pretty sure there is a better way.

• Baller
I have a 67" V-Type in my possession. Now I need a driver. I should get a chance to ride it tomorrow. I was on a 66" A3 and it never felt small even when the sizing chart said at 175 lbs. I should be on a 67".

• Baller
@TWB If I were 175lbs I'd ride a 66 but you might be ok. The ski has a more rail type feeling to the turn that gives the sensation of a larger (late feeling) radius. That's an illusion. It has a ridiculously smooth and fast turn radius that gets the ski under you beautifully. Try the 67. I think you will be happy with it but expect something different and fresh on this ski and keep an open mind.