Moomba Outback???

gt2003

• Baller

Found this on SIA.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32228

I go to "ski school" in less than 4 weeks. I figure once the girlfriend sees how quickly a "real" boat can pull me out of the water that it will be time to upgrade boats. I've heard of the Moomba's and I like the idea of an open bow. This one has the Indmar Assault 325 in it. Is that a 5.7 Liter? What are overall thoughts on this boat from you all? Plenty of power? Hours are low. I checked bluebook value and it looks like average retail is $24,000 so he's got a little wiggle room. Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks

• Baller
Thanks oldjeep. Overall should I avoid Moomba's or is the LXI just a superior boat overall? I'm thinking $30,000 is about my price range. What year Malibu can I get for that? I thought a 2008 might be a better option since it's so much newer=less problems?

If I was shopping again I'd snatch this baby up. Private lake, monsoon, classy color scheme, not sure of the hours but if its under 900 its a solid price.

ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=30263

Unless you like red and then there's this low low hour machine. I have this exact boat - they ski AWESOME. Best open bow slalom boats made.

ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32060

• Baller
Don't know about the newer Moomba's but I know they were using wood in their hulls a lot later than the other companies. You can just about get into a SN 200 for 30k. If I've got 30k to spend, I'm finding the most recent Malibu or Ski Nautique with Zero Off for that price. You absolutely cannot find better boats than those two, even a few years old.

• Baller

With a $30k budget, as others have said, your budget gets you something nicer than this Moomba. The Outback isn't in the same league as an LXi or SN200...not even close.

FWIW, this guy is asking around what that boat was new in '08, after some solid negotiation. Also, my parents were silent partners in a Moomba dealership in that era, and I still paid considerably more for a new Nautique, foregoing an Outback at cost.

• Baller
@gt2003 nothing in particular against moomba, I just about bought a new outback v last year, but decided that for the money that a 2 year old Malibu was a better deal. For what you are looking to spend there are a lot of good options already posted. That red lxi would be at the top of my list, and I don't even like red boats;)

• Baller
Well, I jumped a little fast into the first boat and had a lot of repair work to do from neglect. That won't happen again. I am by no means "rich". However, I can afford a $300/month payment over 10 years and still afford new ski's, gas etc. I'm a decent sized boy at 215 lbs and would love a very skiable wake. So, maybe it's time to take the plunge. We will see what happens at ski school. I'm in Oklahoma so I seriously doubt I'll be able to get back on the water before "school". The water levels here are just unreal!

• Baller
I have a fair amount of time driving/skiing an Outback so I'm very familiar with the Outback. Decent enough ski boat (very plain jane interior though) but as many have stated above for that kind of money IMO an '03 - '05 LXI or a slightly older Nautique would be money much better spent.

• Baller
I will ski behind a nautique at ski school then maybe be able to find a Malibu to ski behind. The only thing holding me back from the carbon pro is the closed bow. I really want something with the open bow. I'm glad to see that there are some really nice OB Malibu's and Nautique's out there. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up soon!

• Baller_
With the Malibu, get 2008 or newer for the LXi. You will want it to have Zero Off or at least be a plug and play upgrade. The 2007 can be done, but it is not totally plug and play and also costs more to add ZO.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I own an '03 Outback. Agree about the minimalist interior. Not as many nooks and crannies to store stuff. It is all fiberglass. I regularly ski behind a 94 Prostar, an 03 Lxi, and my 03 Outback. The Outback holds its own in terms of wake quality (especially when set up) and power. Decent trick wake as well. Mine has the 310hp carb and it has plenty of power to foot. My 03 was AWSA approved hull. I think that one is as well. This boat might priced a bit high but try to talk them down.

I would say it depends on what you want. I wanted an open bow but the in my price range I only found nautiques with the playpen and responses with the step over. I wanted a walk through. I was lucky enough to find one without a tower, but most have them. You either want the tower or you don't. If your budget is 30k (and you want to spend all of that) you can certainly get a better boat. If you want a pure slalom tug, get a response with ZO. However the Outback is a really good boat... it is worth consideration.

• Baller
I'll stand up for the Moomba (at least 2003 and later) and say it's a great budget, family-oriented all-around boat. I ski behind one often. But, it's only great at the right price. You need to decide whether you'd rather have a newer Ford or an older BMW. There are valid arguments in both directions. Personally, I went for an older Malibu, as many on this thread have suggested. But I never turn down a ride behind an Outback. Not the best tracking boat from a driver's point of view, but you get used to it.

@gt2003 The best boat for $30k is mine by a lot, check this out! The wake will be smaller then any other boat in your price range, which will help you while you are learning a lot.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=32361

Edit: Oh i see you talked about my boat already. Well if you are even remotely serious about learning to ski then the wake of the newer boats should be 100x bigger of a concern for you then the open bow is. I ahve been in a number of OB boats and only ever used it exactly once, and the difference in wake between a CP and an LXI is well over 100% especially if you are around 28 MPH.

• Baller

I agree with @kfennell Twice, our family has decided an open bow was needed. Neither the Prostar 205 or SN200 open bows have been used much at all. The bow upholstery still has to be kept clean though;)

His Carbon is worth a look.

• Baller
@gt2003 - I was in your shoes back in 2007. I was used to skiing behind an I/O. When we were in the market we ended up going with a brand new Moomba Mobius LS. It has a tower and doubles as a wakeboard boat and barefoot boat. Interior is plain - but has held up to abuse (lots of foot traffic) over the last 8 years. The difference in wake from an I/O to the inboard was night and day. It is by no means a tournament type ski boat (the Mobius) but I can still ski behind it. With that being said - if you had $30k to spend right now on any type of boat - I would go with one of the big three. Of those big three - I would chose the Carbon Pro.

• Baller
There was a Outback simular to the one you listed on our lakes several years ago. The owner was a new owner and brought the boat with him. He quickly learned not a great slalom boat to drive the course in. Very touchy in regards to crew weight and where crew were sitting. I drove it several times and did not like driving it pulling a skier in the course. Its a fine open water boat, but no good for course....ghe now has a SN196

• Baller

@Hugh Nichols , I live in Gore now about 6 miles from the ramp at Strayhorn landing on Lake Tenkiller. I was born and raised in Tulsa and will be moving back probably in the next year or maybe even less.

Obviously lots to think about. Thanks for ALL of the input. The knowledge here is invaluable. For now, I'm sticking with the open bow "requirement". This will be a recreational boat as well. There are others with us at times and I like to relax in the bow myself. The bow of my Tahoe gets used regularly so I just don't think I'd be happy without the space up front. I believe the LXI or a nautique will be what I mostly look at. I will ski behind as many as I can between now and then to see which I like most. Here's to hoping the search for a true slalom tug can begin in about a month. Thanks again folks!

• Baller

nw80y3ccvgya.jpg

This would be my suggestion. 05 mLxi. This was my boat it was sweet ! Wish I still had it. Wake not as soft as Nautiques but so much room and cool looking. I'm sure one if found could be found way under $30. I bought mine brand new for $35. Gone are those days

• Baller
Just an observation, but I rarely, if ever, see late model Prostars recommended (2013 and older). I personally never cared for that hull, and reading between the lines, it appears I'm not the only one? My wife skis between 26 and 28mph, and into -22 on a stellar day, and you couldn't bribe her to get behind those MC's.

• Baller

One thing that is kind of being overlooked in this thread is your use-case. Do you ski on a public lake? How rough does it get? Do you have a place on the lake and ski off the dock? Or do you pile everyone in and go out for a few hours, skiing from the boat? Do you spend most of your time free skiing, or are you in a course? Are you an advanced shortline slalom skier? Do you or your crew like to wakeboard, or do any other behind-the-boat activities?

A lot of folks on this board only slalom, only at a very high level, only on a private, man made ski lake. Their needs may be very different from yours. What makes (for example) a closed bow Carbon Pro a legit contender for best-under-$30k may apply way more to the kind of folks who only slalom on a man made ski lake. They'd be right—for their use. But if you pack the family, some skis & wakeboards and a picnic in your boat for a day on a bumpy public lake... a closed-bow slalom boat might not lead to the greatest happiness for you and your crew, even if it's a 'better' slalom boat. A Ferrari is a very nice car, but not if you have 3 kids or haul gravel for a living.

• Baller
Exactly @andjules ! Most of my skiing will be open water on a public lake. Supposedly there is a slalom course but with the lake 20 plus feet above normal, I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to actually find it much less get on the water. I've not ski'd the course ever but that's my goal for the year. I'm wanting a boat that can be recreational and a ski hound. There's the reason for the open bow. It gets semi-rough at times but mostly rollers from the big boats. No wake boarders except friends. If they don't like the wake they can get their own boat, lol. Or, buy my Tahoe so I can buy a slalom tug!

• Baller
For your use case (in a DD) I'd be looking at an SSLXI. Little bigger than a Response and handles the rougher water a little better too. Nice to ski behind, that was what my father in-law had before he got the Response LXI. Either way you are going to take some water over the bow occasionally in rough water. Even my V drive takes water a lot easier than the I/O I had previously.

• Baller
Hmm, @oldjeep , you've ski'd behind a Sunsetter? Wakes are probably MUCH better than my Tahoe? My wakes are pretty stout! I'm not dead set on any one thing but I would like something with more power to pull my butt outta the water and I'd like something with a much better wake than I have now.

• Baller

Interestingly, @oldjeep that's what I bought: an older Sunsetter LXI. I think they were made from '99-03. I love it. Contender for best all-around crossover boat, ever. But of course, at this point, you're looking at a 12-16 year old boat, and not everyone wants that.

Again, I have two friends with Outbacks. For your use @gt2003, I think they're a great boat. But—as with any used purchase—at the right price.

Whatever you get, try to look for something with Perfect Pass (or if it's newer, Zero Off). Even skiing open water, it makes it a lot easier for you friends or girlfriend to give you a good run.

• Baller
Yes, now I'm no pro skier but I found the wakes to be just fine behind the SSLXI and we used it in the course. The one that he had was plain jane, no towers or any of that stuff just a basic ski boat. The advantage to the tower is that you can get a ski rack (the boat I linked has one) and keep your skis up off the floor and save the storage compartments for other things.

@gt2003 I cannot be clear enough I don't think the wakes of the latest generation of the big 4 are sooooooo much different then everything that came before them that you are doing yourself a big dis-service considering all those other boats, I imagine that you wait a few months you could get a TXI with 1000 hours for that price and get the open bow you are looking for. Like the wakes on that XTI are going to be monsterous compared to the modern boats. I live in a big ski community and ski and drive and see LOTS of boats, and there is 100% no comparison.

As much as I don't like them even a high hour 197 would be a better boat then those ones

Additionally there is the simplicity of the zero off systems just working, having to deal with the careful throttle up on the perfect pass, and the fact that you will run like a full pass more behind a PP boat then ZO at your weight are both disadvantages (or an advantage I guess if you don't plan on skiing tournaments)

• Baller
Ditto what @andjules said above. Considering your stated conditions and usage IMO a Sunsetter with PP would be an excellent choice and well within your budget to boot. I've skied behind them and they ski just fine, huge improvement over an IO and well within the realm of acceptability as far as DD's go wake wise etc. I'll ski behind one any time, throw me a rope. Lots of hair splitting above on ZO vs PP, wake quality etc. When you're a dedicated course skier pushing 32 off and above, the above comments might carry some weight. Where you are now, and older WELL KEPT DD with PP will do the job quite well and well within budget.

• Baller

@gt2003 @oldjeep there was a link to an '05 Sunsetter LXI on craigslist a few posts back. It's important to note that '04 and later SSLXIs are on Malibu's S25 hull. It's a BIG boat. Better than an I/O for skiing? sure. But not even close to Malibus (like the '99-03 Sunsetter LXIs and several other great Malibus since the late 90s) that are based on Malibu's S23 'diamond hull' (as opposed to the plain S23 — often referred to as the S23 'wake hull' — which isn't horrible but isn't great; Sunsetter LXs (not LXIs) tended to be on this hull, back in the day).

Most recreational 'crossover' boats (including that 05 SSLXI and the XTI) are 'wakeboarding first, slalom second.' By the sound of it @gt2003 you want a slalom first boat, even if it's used more recreationally, has good storage and a little wider beam. Like others have posted, the Response LXI (or even Response LX if you don't mind a stepover bowrider - I kind of prefer them) is a great boat in that category.

• Baller
I guess I'm just going to have to ski behind as many as I can before I decide. I seriously doubt any tournaments are in my future. I'd just like to have a boat I can get a good pull behind with smaller wakes than my Tahoe. An open bow anything would work but wouldn't necessarily be fun on rough water. I really do appreciate the input and I know everyone is trying to help and get me the best fit possible. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions before long. Once I ski at DFW then I'll have a better idea/feel of a newer, real ski tug.

• Baller

Stan had an old Moomba. Ran the wheels (prop? hours?) off it. Reliable reasonable boat. It wasn't a fancy new Outback but this was a few years ago. He was very happy with it. I drove it and skied it a lot - happily. Not a big four boat but good enough to get Stan and Merry some high level tournament performances. He was able to afford the boat enough that he could ski more hours! The brand may be worth considering.

The old ZO MCs (with the great trick wakes!) are reasonable slalom boats. Maybe if you have a choice for your slow speed runs in a tournament, you'd choose a different modern boat. But no way is the wake of the boat going to prevent you from learning slalom. It's not an I/O or an old CC 2001. And if you are good - well, my MC pulled the pro am with some pretty phenomenal short line results.

There is a lot of brand/boat loyalty here (see above paragraph) that leads to some unwarranted hyping or bashing of the other boats. Filter carefully.

ZO rocks and if all else is equal, choose the ZO boat. A good working PP is OK and can take your skiing to a very high level but it does take a bit of work to set it up right and maintain the settings.

If you just want to ski, ignore the brand hype and get a boat that fits your needs and budget. Shop carefully as there are some great deals out there on both off brand boats and the industry leaders.

Eric

• Baller

Looks like it's most likely between a Malibu LXI and Mastercraft Prostar 197. I'll have the opportunity to ski behind both before I buy so I'm not making any promises at this point.

@skihard , thanks for the phone call and skiing offer. I'll take you up on it before the summer ends.