Moomba Outback???

gt2003

• Baller
I have an 08 outback. its wakes are not bad, but they are not in the same class as any of the newer boats. Its not a bad boat at all.. but its not plush.. functional and utilitarian. Think of like your buying a chevy, and the Nautique would be the caddy.

• Baller

I have driven a Moomba Outback pulling a slalom skier. Slow and sluggish pull out. I would look for a used Nautique. An older used Nautique, Master Craft, or Malibu would be a better choice than a new Outback.

• Baller

@gt2003 I have a 2007 Moomba Outback now with 500 hours and I have nothing bad to say about it.

It's too bad they don't make a DD anymore. We bought this boat because 8 years ago, we really weren't sure if skiing was going to be a passing phase or a serious commitment. The Outback allowed us get into the sport for less than half what a new Nautique or similar would have cost.

Now, (as @Ed_Obermeier knows), skiing is serious business in my family. We now use our Outback much less because most of our skiing is done at our local club. However, we still trailer the boat to a cottage at least twice per summer set up our www.ez-slalom.com (thanks Ed) course. I can feel a bit of a difference at 22' off and it takes a fraction of a second to get up to speed, but that's it.

My thoughts:

- Any DD ski boat is an order of magnitude improvement over an I/O.

- I would say that skiing in the course with an Outback is 90% as good as any other boat out there with respect to wake, tracking, starting, etc.

The price in your original post is not that far from a brand new boat. Maybe there is room for negotiations.

• Baller

Agreement with @oldjeep. The ones I'm familiar with were not the least bit sluggish. Pullout, acceleration etc same as anything else I've driven, my own current RLXI included. The one I used to drive/ski all the time had the same engine as my previous Supra Legacy, the 330hp Indmar Assault. Definitely no sluggard.

Moomba's seem to get a lot of IMO undeserved negative knocks, as do Gekko's to a lesser extent. Both are acceptable used ski tugs, especially if you're a beginner on a budget. Assuming you can find one at a decent price of course.

• Baller

@gt2003, there are a lot of great used boats out there that will fit your needs and provide an open bow, most makers made a 'comp style open bow or play pin' during the 2000s, look around and if you can ski before you buy do it. You might be able to get something well under your budget as your 'entry inboard' and save some funds for new skis for you and GF. Besides SSLxi, Response OB, SNOB and MC197, there are open bow Centurions, MBs, Supras and as you have found Moombas.

Good Luck

• Baller
If you, your family, or friends are going to be learning to ski the course (e.g. LL and 15 off @ less than 34 mph) a cross-over boat is not a good choice in my experience. Given that you need an OB I would recommend a slalom specific OB but not the MC 197 (its a great trick boat for a reason) if this is your situation. A 97+ Ski Nautique Open Bow or slalom specific Malibu OB would be on my list of boats to try.

There's a decent number of Malibu LXI's out there. Most seem to be asking more than NADA value but I'm not sure if that's feasible with what I've heard about the soft market for competition boats right now. I've got time so I'm just going to take it as it comes. Now that I'm looking closer, I believe I can find what I want for around $25,000. Time will tell. Don't think I won't post it here first and ask what you all think.

• Baller

@gt2003 - funny thing is that the market for some of the older boats isn't that soft ;) It is the market for the 1-2 year old stuff because folks are realizing that for 10-20K less they can get a boat that is just about as good. The LXI especially seem to be holding value, most of the local ones don't seem to stay on the market long.

This one is pretty close to your price point - been for sale since at least last season. Has a z-box conversion on it

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/4981370861.html

There is one in Texas for about the same price. We might go look at it after our "ski school" in 3 weeks. Dang, Minneapolis would be a 2 day trip each way. I'd like to find something closer but I'm not afraid to drive to get the right boat. I jumped into boat #1 too fast and although it's been a great boat, I had to fix up a lot of things to get it where I wanted it. I'd rather pay a little more up front to get something I can enjoy from day 1.

• Baller

Someone should know it - Center City location means it is probably on the private ski lake up there.

As for the platform - I suspect it is just off in the pictures since the wedge is also down. People do that to fit in a small garage.

Looks like it's a 13 hour drive from me but that thing looks SHARP!

You got it @oldjeep , swim platform is mentioned in the description, my bad

Is the perfect pass with a zbox a good option, considering I'll ski the course but no tourneys (probably)?

@skibrain , I haven't even been in the course yet. I'm going to ski school in 3 weeks to start the course. I'm expecting once I experience a recent ski tug that I'm going to want to trade up to an inboard. However, since I do a lot of free skiing with friends, open bow is a must. I had just never heard of "precision pro" so I wanted to check.

• Baller
@gt2003 I don't know the boat specifically, but Brad is a good guy...I don't know him well but have interacted at tourneys over the years. @thager despite what @Horton says is trustworthy and knows how Brad cares for his stuff. My guess is you can't go wrong there granted you are willing to drive that far.