Spy footage of CP on a Flextail @ 41 off

Horton

• Baller
Definitely the operator. Dude set records in 43 off on an old blue and red Sixam, now he's doing it on a flextail. That said, if a ski makes a skier feel more comfortable or confident, it will help them to be more consistent. He looks awfully solid!

• Baller_

I think Miller touched 4 ball@41 at Cottonwood this weekend. @Dirt and I were going to do a surprise unboxing video after removing to new flex and putting my N1 in the box.

@Horton You must be paying Daniel some cash.

• Baller
At the Big Dawg in Miss last year, Jeff and I had dinner with Dave, Dawn, Chad, and Big Ben. Dave talked then about having an idea 10 years ago that he tried briefly but never could make work and that he really wanted to try it out again. It would appear they got it working!

• Baller

Good idea, nice to see a ski company pushing the envelope...couple thoughts though

so I would assume the slots were cut after production, being a foam cored ski what was done to alleviate water permeation (and perhaps long term saturation) via the slots to the foam core?

I assume the 17" (maybe even 25") measurement for flex testing would be either off limits or a bit of a tentative task

do all bindings work on the ski? from the pics @Dirt the back of the rear puzzle piece is touching the "backbone" of the ski...issues with other systems? Shorter skis would be more of an issue than the longer ones?

not mentioned yet obviously the LFF/RFF layups of Goode's past has vanished with the fish tail

and does it come with a special "gill cleaning" tool to keep those slots open? ;) Another accessory Goode can sell to facilitate 'peak performance'

• Baller_
Next yr the cuts will be curved for more water flow efficiency and there will be a L & R version based on width of cuts on one side vs the other. Oh, and with the new curved slits, you will need the new and improved cleaning tool, as @jayski suggest

• Baller

Actually, there is a lot of opportunity for exploration beyond this basic implementation... like:

• varying the number of cuts,

• changing the angle of the cuts (not 90 degrees from the surface),

• varying the gap space,

• filling the gap space with flexible sealer material (like a spinal disk cushion),

• having options for gap space filler with different shore (flexibility ratings),

• ability to insert or remove gap material to adjust flex for skier preference or water conditions,

and the list goes on...

• Baller

I don't care about "hype". I do care that the people I have talked to say the ski feels faster (which I interpret as less load) and still turns well.

I have skied the best of my life on my Nano One, but it does create a lot of load on my back to ski it well. If the new model is easier on my back allowing me to train more and/or hurt less I am about it. Any added buoys would be based on those benefits more than any magic fix. IMHO

Below are a few of my notes and thoughts from my first two rides on the Flextail when I first got in it in Mexico about a month ago...

I was getting higher and earlier into the buoy line than ANY other ski which I have ridden this winter (which is every ski other than the GT by connelly) and the line which I was able to travel through the wakes with the speed maintained throughout the turn was frankly unbelievable.

This truly feels like the future of skiing as this moves right along the same lines of current coaching theory and really feels like a “tool” in achieving the proper line of efficiency through the slalom course. There has been a lot of work throughout the manufacturers to produce a ski that rips turns and moves across the course, leaving us as skiers to choose the correct path of travel and really need to work on holding this line across the course while simultaneously moving with the boat. This ski seems to carry speed back inbound but feels as though it chooses the line of most efficiency automatically. In two rides the flex tail has re-invigorated my skiing in a way un-describeable, as I KNOW this is the direction we as coaches have been striving for in the progression of slalom theory and technique. This is something that not only makes the move out to the buoy-line natural but also the movement in to the “work-zone” where every skier struggles to find the most efficient path of travel, as well as providing a stable platform to work upon that line. To state the obvious I am excited!!!

• Members

Mr. Jones, I like what your thoughts on less drag, less abuse on lower back, possibly lessening the harsh reality of Zero off on this old man.

Tevskis, I love what you are saying about it and the excitement you have for it. Anticipation of something new and profoundly better, more fun, is cool.

After digesting much of the thoughts on this ski it really makes sense, articulation makes anything turn easier, tighter, with less pressure, load etc....

I have operated many trucks, tractors, earth movers carrying excessive loads, articulation makes them very maneuverable.