New drivers

slvrbulit

• Baller
My usual ski partner is out of town for a few weeks. How do you guys go about teaching someone new to drive for you? This would only be for free skiing not the course. I would think the hardest part would be getting out of the water on take off.

• Baller
I have broken in a couple of new drivers. I had them simulate passes or where I wanted them to drive a few times before letting them drive me. The other thing is to make sure to simulate how they drive around a skier in the water. For my son in the course he probably drove 100+ passes through the course before I let him pull a skier. He was only 15 at the time though.

• Baller

Deep water starts - Leave a little slack in the rope while the skier rests in the water. Then oscillate in and out of idle to slowing tighten the line. Pay attention to the direction the boat goes during tightening and adjust the steering wheel to a straight path. When it is time to go, put just into gear, and then use a progressive throttle: fluid, slow sweep watching the skier in the mirror. When the skier is 1/2 the way up, start slowly adjusting the throttle to the desired skiing speed.

Always approach a skier at idle speed or less with the skier on the driver's side of the boat in full view at all times.

Always turn off the engine when a skier enters or exits the boat. Always turn off the engine if the driver must leave the driver's seat.

Drive in long straight sections whenever possible, as opposed to slow curves that follow the shore line. Maintain a constant speed - which may require you to keep 1 hand on the throttle most of the time.

Have a spotter even if not legally required so that your new driver can concentrate fully on the boat's path and safe operation.

• Baller

I think more of the following when in the back country snowmobiling or snow skiing...... but, is the guy/gal in the boat skiing with you prepared to save your life, should you need it? There are a few people I will not go snowmobiling with, since I don't have confidence they would act responsibly to save my life in the event of an accident. Either due to a lack of knowledge or ability.

I do pause and think of this as I choose who I waterski with to some extent. In that moment, their boat path is the least of my worries. First Aid, CPR, Common Sense, Take Charge, Knowledgeable, Capable?

• Baller

Too may people concentrate on steering the boat, but really the back is as important as the front, probably more so, when manoeuvring around skiers in the water, for me it's important that they understand where the back of the boat is and what direction the back of the boat is going to go when they manoeuver, as well as understanding what direction the back of the boat goes in when in reverse, obviously it is different depending on which make of boat you have.

Safety should be your First Priority !

• Baller_

Breaking in a new driver at the gator hole. We just make her drive too and from the course and we are now starting to get her to drive free skiing. she seems motivated and enjoy's the water ski life.

i think the key is to get as much seat time as possible and be patient with the new driver.

• Baller_
About 20 years ago (how time flys!) I needed a ski partner and I ended up with a couple fourteen year old girls. I thought them to drive in the slalom course. One was timid, and one was pretty good. A couple weeks after we started skiing together, the good driver went skiing with her dad and his ski friends. They were Saturday morning open water skiers. Dad wanted to show off the new and improved kid, so he had her drive the first skier. While she did a perfect job by my standards, her dad told her that if she ever drove the boat like that again, it would be the last time she drove the boat. Apparently, a tight "lollipop" style turn was not appreciated!

Lpskier