wing angle on fin

Greg Lukin

Hi all

Ok I'm not into the shortline or anything remotely close but nevertheless I love chasing balls. So I'm trying to achieve 16m @36mph. I'm getting too much speed into the ball and was thinking perhaps to adjust my wing angle slightly? Would 5 degree's make a difference? Or at the rope length I'm at make no difference and I really just need to sort out my technique a whole lot more?

I've got an OB4 front binding system with hardshell in the mail also which I'm hoping may help.

• Baller

Most likely, technique is the issue and not the wing. Many will argue that a wing isn't even needed until you're getting into 28-32 off or shorter.

Too much speed at the ball is probably not the problem either. The problem is likely the DIRECTION of speed at the ball. Cross-course speed is good and down-course speed is bad.

Too much down-course speed is usually a byproduct of pulling too long past the centerline. To ski the most efficient path, all of your speed needs to be built into the wake. If you aren't generating enough speed early enough, then you most likely will feel the need to continue building speed after the wake by continuing to pull. Unfortunately, this will only increase down-course speed and not cross course speed.

Practice trying to build as much speed and angle as possible before the centerline. Starting with a wide gate and getting up on the boat is the easiest way to lay the foundation for this in the course. And if you do it correctly, you'll be able to begin to change edges behind the boat and still have enough speed to carry you out wide and early for the next ball.

The more cross- course speed you can ski with, the slower and easier a pass will feel. The more down-course speed you ski with, the faster and harder it will feel. This is all a byproduct of where you build speed and change edges in the course.

thanks guys - just what I thought. I have watched the above vid about 20 times and finally get it - I need more speed to the center line and then hope I have enough speed to coast into the ball whilst letting my ski swing beneath me pre turn... Thanks guys. Might even try no fin and see what happens...

• Baller
Do you currently have a wing in the fin and if so what angle? You asked if 5 degrees would make a difference....if you have less than that it will hinder the skis performance by creating tail lift...if you are asking if a 5 degree change would make a difference YES is the answer. 1 degree moves is how to go. Usually 7-9 degrees is where you will be if you run the wing.

• Baller
What angle are you running the wing right now? Working on 16M (which I think is 22 off) at 36 mph if you have no wing having one at 7-9* would help slow the ski down but it is probably a technique issue vs equipment.

@nate93 sorry - wing not fin!! yes that would be worth a laugh and video.

I'm running the wing at 0 degree. I'm going to start playing with it a little next week - I'll start with 3-5 degrees. I'll report back.

Am changing my whole set up as of next week with my OB4 hardshells and a new A3 - could be interesting the first few rides on that as I'm coming from a Carbon V with rubber boot.

• Supporting Member

A wing at less than 6 degrees will most likely cause problems. Much better to just take it off. If you decide you want to try the wing, the aforementioned 7-9 range is where you want to be.

I would not change ski and binding type simultaneously. This will cause chaos and you won't have a clue which part needs adjustment.

@Than_Bogan I think you're right - I'm going to take the wing off for a while then I'll try it with it at 6-9 deg and see if it helps at all. Its winter here so I have lots of cold water practice coming my way to tweak with it all ready for summer. Trying my first tournaments this year - always been a goal of mine but have never really pushed myself to do it. thanks for the help.