Going to take a few weeks off (months)

Horton

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I bought a PV in 08 after a back injury. Still using one, thought about weaning myself off but still remember the pain, the walker, and over a year off from any fun activities! Probably going to continue to use it! The PV saved my sanity, what little I have!

• Baller

For me, 3 major surgeries in 6 years, all skiing related. All I can say is " Cowboy Up!"

Just kidding @Horton, I wouldn't wish surgery and rehab on anyone. Hang in there, and be diligent with your rehab. Shoulders take some time. I had a biceps tendon, rotator cuff, and labrum rebuild all at once (6 hour surgery), and I was out 9 months before normal activity. But now, my re-built shoulder is the best joint I have.

• Baller
@Texas6 -theres only one preventative measure guaranteed to work. dont try to hold major load with bent arms thinking your biceps can take it -they probably can but your aging bicep *tendons* can not. get aligned with hips up and shoulders back and take the load through your stacked skeletal strength instead. find and read chris rossi article ' the power triangle '.

• Baller

I know with all the kidding we do back and forth...I am so sorry to hear you have to have surgery. All of us on lake three will miss seeing the BOS Centurion going back and forth with you behind it. Certainly our thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery.

On another note maybe you should buy into Donnie's wake skate boat!!!

I did that in September. Didn't ski till Feb. The key for me was getting into physiotherapy a day later on the advice of my doc - that's what saved me. Good luck @Horton - get better quickly. I'm having a few weeks off now, because my skiing is useless and I'm not enjoying it!

• Baller

As all of us on here have proven, we're going to be dumb. We have to work on being tough. As the song says.

Don't take that too seriously, I know we are all looking to, and working on skiing our best and safest.

@Horton I'm out your way in a month or so, which Sweet Water works best? I'll bring you a case of liquid physical therapy. x72uaqpljzxa.jpg

• Administrators
@aupatking you can surprise me on the beer. Let me know when you're going to be here if I'm around come ski. somebody's gotta use that pretty new Centurion

• Administrators
what I didn't realize until today is that I not only tore my tendon but I must have also had some sort of brain trauma.This became clear to me when I realized that @dirt was in my dream last night. I guess I'll have to see a psychologist or psychiatrist or bartender.

• Baller
@Texas6, tried to ignore some shoulder and arm pain which I believed was just radicular pain due to my c6-7 vertebral injury and fusion. Ended up being a partial tear on rotator cuff and biceps tendon.

• Baller

Bummer on the tear @Horton !

Press doc for info on what exercises you can do while wing is laid up. A fit body heals well/better.

Some solace: a 3rd degree tear, (separation) fixed with surgery, is often better in the long run after surgery to re-attach, than a 2nd degree tear with extensive rehab.

Sux for this season but what better one to miss that this diaper changing one,.

Heal well my friend.

• Baller
@Horton -- distal biceps tendon rupture -- same as mine. Tore it in April putting the dock in. I barefooted a little in August and in September skied (not course) some 28 off with two hands on at all times. Just felt good to be standing on the water. Do what they say post-surgery and you will be good as new.

• Baller
Have you had enough pain killers to break the " Bee outfit "out ? Not yet , oh well. Take care John. Make the best of it. Tried to put my shoulder surgery off until the cold water sets in ( no end of season at Ski West ) but a recent car accident won't let me do that. Will be on the disabled list in a few weeks with you. If I figure out how to keep from going nuts, I will pass it on. Get that new Camaro wetsuit ordered for the winter. Hopefully you won't be out that long.

• Baller

John, I just went through the same surgery back on June 9th. Did mine getting up behind the boat for a slalom set. Complete distal rupture of the bicep tendon. Stitches came out today and the Doc says all looks good. Been in therapy sine June 10th. Moving pretty good now. Still in the "Tommy Johns Brace" 24/7 except for exercising. Finfirkin production has slowed but we are still operational.

Get well soon. I plan on being back next year.

• Baller
My surgeon's comments were as follows: if you tear a biceps tendon, it was likely that the tendon was already damaged. That's why it happens most often in 40-50 year old, active men. Two, if the tendon on this arm was damaged, then the other one probably is too. Be careful lest you have to get the other one fixed. Three, my first repair is my best repair. Don't screw it up. It can be fixed again, but it won't be as good.

• Baller

My left bicep was screwed up by my shingles outbreak. But I've been using a Powervest since then so no tear. @Horton did you get a shingles vaccine? Maybe the underlying issue was a hidden case of shingles.

Or a really heavily loaded diaper can overload a bicep and cause all kinds of problems. Handle with care. Happy belated birthday Buford Danger.

Eric

• Administrators

Update

I am about 6 weeks post op. I think PT starts in a week or so. That means trading in the beers for barbells, treadmill and the pool at the tennis club. This has been inconvenient but mostly painless experience.

Two things I should not confess:

It has been relaxing to not be at the lake every free moment. Time at home with the baby is good.

I totally mixed Percocet and Scotch : )

• Baller_

To your first confession... all things happen for a reason.. your baby girl and dad time..awesome!.

To your second confession... please make an unboxing video next time you do that combo.