Wakeye XT-One app only 30 fps???

MarkM

• Baller

I just received my Wakeye XT-One yesterday. Incredibly fast shipping!!

The Wakeye app says it can record at 120fps. But I can only record at 30 fps and the video quality is not nearly as good as just using the built in camera app on the iPhone. It's choppy.

I don't see any fps options on the Wakeye app.

I have an IPhone 6 plus.

What am I missing?

• Baller

There were some difficulties getting 120fps working on iPhone 6 and 6+.

An update should be available soon to have 60fps,120fps and 240fps options for the iPhone 6 and 6+.

There will also be an option to turn the video stabilization on or off

• Baller

iPhone 6+ is completely unusable with the Wakeye App because of the built in image stabilization features in the phone. The iPhone 6 is almost unusable with the image stabilization features. The iphone5 works the best out of the iPhone's we have tested.

The auto focus is also an issue with the IPhone's. After taking video and watching it frame by frame is very interesting. Skier is in focus, rope is in focus, shore is in focus, spray is in focus, then back of boat is in focus, repeat. When the frame is focused on the skier the image quality is incredible. Too bad every frame is not that quality. We have tried GoPro, liquid image camera. GoPro image was fuzzy. Liquid image worked pretty well but starting and stopping was not easy, and battery died in 2 weeks. Right now we are trying out a Sony Action Cam. Too early to tell if it will work out.

I really want the iphone 6 and 6+ to work because everybody's ski videos get loaded to their own phone and we don't have to pass around MP4 files.

Features needed in the Wakeye App to make it usable with Apple products: image stabilization disable, different frame rates settings, and fixed focus setting at a specific distance/zone.

• Baller

Yes. Optical stabilisation in 6+ just makes it worse.

Iphones: 6 and earlier do not have optical stabilisation.

We use 6 and quality is a bit better - enough to see mistakes.

For movie quality - nothing but decent video camera. You may switch it on for the whole time behind the boat, then trim it as you want, extra bonus - you will know what your friends are talking about while you are in the water ))

• Baller
@Horton that is what we are doing with the non gps phone video cameras. The only downside is that your driver gets the sequence backwards and you have great video of your down time at the islands and no passes. . It becomes a driver training issue. The other alternative is turn on the video at the beginning of the set and edit the passes of interest.

• Baller
@jibbo - I know you can't be specific with release dates, but could you give us some idea of the timing on the update you referenced above? I don't want to go buy a video camera to mount on my Wakeye unless I absolutely have too, and understanding that a bit better would go a long way in helping me understand what I have to do to get some video. Thanks so much

• Baller

@Texas6 We submitted the update to Apple iTunes last Friday. Version 1.7.2

We also asked for an expedited review to hopefully speed it up. Normally it takes 10-15 days for review

But with apple you cant be sure, hopefully they accept the expedited review and we could see it in 3-4 days.

• Baller

@igkya try deleting the app first then download the latest version.

@MarkM Track the black bar on the segmented blue bars to the far right of the video to get normal speed playback. You can control where you want to watch slowmo with that black bar highlighted by the blue bars spread further apart.

i38z9wjzkkao.jpg

• Baller
@jibbo I found the problem Under settings, the wakeye settings had allow access to microphone off (which I prefer). I turned this on and the app would run/stay open. Will try the app tomorrow with a few different settings.

• Baller_

@Jibbo,

Does version 1.7.2 address the issue I was having with iPhone 4 (iOS 7) where Wakeye was not accessing my GPS to start/stop the recording automatically? The basic problem I have is that the Wakeye app is not listed as one of the apps within Location Services, so it cannot be granted access to the GPS.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

We also was thinking to test.... but... parcel with my Wakeye did a breathtaking 2 day tour from New Zealand to Moscow, spend 24 hours at customs and .... was returned back to New Zealand.

Because DHL do not deliver to private addresses in Russia. Why DHL received shipment in Wellington from Wakeye is a big question mark!

• Baller
Ran the Wakeye at 120FPS this morning with Stabilization off on my iPhone6. Video was 1000 times better and totally useable...Having said that, I'm not certain the 2x zoom was working given the distance I look from the boat in the video. Anyone else seeing this?

• Baller
Sweet! I used it today and it worked great! One other piece of feedback for the android version... When I set the app to start recording at 34 mph the video starts/stops when the skier pulls cross course. This is with zero off rev R. I had to adjust the setting to 32 mph to get it to work correctly at 34.2 mph. Otherwise awesome app!