Do y'all tip Coaches/drivers?

Orlando76

• Baller
I pretty much always do, especially the drivers. They are usually in the boat all day and a lot of times they are working for peanuts or less. That is just the facts of the industry. Coach's too, for the most part, depends on the situation and how I am treated. If the coach is driving too, I don't double down.

• Baller
Never have and ive never personally seen it. If there is a young driver or something I can see that. At $50-80 a set I can't believe too many tip or if it's expected. I received a handful of tips when I worked years at ski school.

• Baller

It depends. When I have been to Traver's or Coble's I tip the coaches independently. If I was taking a lesson from Seth or Chet for example I probably would just pay him and not tip. I never thought of tipping the driver in that situation but it makes sense.

At ski school I generally tip the guys that have been in the boat most of the week drivers and coaches.

• Baller

I am not quite sure where it's at here, waitresses etc do not get a wage as such or any sort of benefit, so I understand the need for tipping for good service or though I have had some cases where they have expected it for bad service, some of them do not seem to understand the concept, where as other people get board and lodging + wage and/or free ski sets when working at ski schools.

Nobody ever tipped me for doing my job, so I get annoyed when people expect to be tipped for not doing theirs, especially as they now expect 15-20%

I have walked away from skiing venues thinking that I should have tipped, but have normally done all my cash on skiing.

Would it be fair to say that Cash payment is a tip in it's self ?

I spent a few years working at a ski school and was basically paid for my driving, landscaping and boat cleaning services with housing and free ski sets. Not that I'm complaining, it was a great time. But anytime that someone gives you a little extra cash in exchange for driving the boat in the sun all day, it's much appreciated. And considering that I most likely used said tip money to buy some Natural Light, a twelve pack of some craft beer is always appreciated too!

• Baller

@ricski39 I will bear that in mind next time, I Guess the Driver does not get any benefit from a cash payment to the Ski School , so use the credit card for ski sets and use cash to tip driver.

I know how hard it is to be in the Boat all day long, a lot of Concentration + Heat can be exhausting.

• Baller
As a previous ski school driver tips are awesome. We usually work for room board and sets. If you were learning something and had a great time I would not expect a tip. I usually got tips from people who were around for a week and I spent a lot of time working with and picking them up after falls. If they are long time students and friends I usually do not expect it and would be happy to have a beer at the end of the day together and catch up. If I am getting coaching from just a coach in the boat I pay the set fee and not think about a tip.

I was a snow ski instructor for 20 years and received tips from about 50% of my clients. That is after they paid what I felt was highway robbery of $125 per hour of instruction. Of that $125 I would make about $23. They are greatly appreciated and I tip all those types of individuals.

Hated the concept ever since I waited tables. I wish more restaurants would disallow it and stop putting the burden of paying their employees directly on the customer. Put the true cost on the menu. Genius from a manager's perspective. Never has to have a wage discussion with the staff. Barely tolerable in the service industry. Cheapens the experience anywhere else. My desire to keep my job is enough motivation to provide good service.

Tipping is demeaning in some parts of the World and is a tradition that should die. Unless, of course, you're trying to make time with the bartender, server, or blackjack dealer. Their affection can be bought and you can kid yourself that they are into you even though they are half your age. And if it makes you feel special to throw money around, may I suggest the Salvation Army.

• Baller

Although money is universal equivalent I always afraid to offend people giving money directly.

Instead of this I always invite snow instructor to share lunch with me or in the summer come to ski/wake platform with decent bag of bananas & apples.

If I ski with boat owner or individual snow instructor we keep to price tag - returning customer for them is the best tip.

• Baller
I was fortunate enough to receive a few tips when I was driving / coaching in Florida, nothing regular but a couple of guys paid me some decent lump sums when I got them past certain milestones. Another fried client bought me a 3 event bag when it was time for me to head back to Australia... And the chicks well that's probably for another thread. The money is soon forgotten, the real fun is the people you meet and the stories that stay with you for a lifetime. As a ski school driver I was broke and blissfully happy, good times.

• Baller

Can't say I've ever tipped a driver or coach but then again I haven't taken many lessons or skied at many other places than our little club or with friends.

I wish tipping was still something that was done as a way to show that you did a really good job. This whole entitlement thing has really ruined customer service IMO and it annoys me to have to tip someone who barely even did their job.

edit: Yes, I've worked for tips at a golf course for 1.5 years. I enjoyed getting tips but I also felt like people could be seeing my kindness and helpfulness purely because I wanted a tip and not because I actually wanted to help. It didn't feel genuine...

• Baller
@A-B now that's where it goes all wrong, @ ski school everybody should be treated the same, it's one factor that will garuntee non return of customers, if they think other people are getting preferential treatment it presses their buttons, it does happen and I am cool with it to a certain point, no one likes to be treated like a fool and most people are intelligent enough to work out what's going on nowadays.

• Baller

Dusting this thread off with a related question that I didn't see discussed here.

I'm heading to Fl (Jodi's Ski Skool) for a few sets with the kids this weekend and last time we were there after settling up my wife and I had a big debate on this topic. Her stance was we didn't need to tip Jodi himself since it was his business. Yes he did most of the coaching and driving and he was awesome with us and the kids, but it's his business so you are paying him with your set fee. On the other hand we did have another coach/driver for one set and it would make sense to tip him. Now my position was we should tip on the whole thing because I felt like it was a service.

What do you think? It makes sense to tip a coach or driver that is likely doing this out of love of sport and not making a ton of money but what about the owner operator of the business?

• Baller
Nothing like a few crisp bills to say Thanks I appreciate you for taking care of me and my family today! I fly plenty of high profile individuals and never expect a tip, but Its always nice when someone shakes my hand and tells me to go have a nice dinner on them. ;)

• Baller_
Considering that most drivers are actually not paid or not paid much, and get “paid” with sets and maybe housing, I can tell you that tips are more than appreciated. When a driver goes out of his or her way to accommodate your schedule (and disrupts his own) and you don’t tip, ... well you could be a schmuck.

Lpskier

• Baller

I give Terry Winter tips every time I see him...

Don't go drinking with @schroed especially if you have to ski the next day

Don't accept phone calls from @Horton or your head will hurt from the nonsense

Don't be nice to Ryan Nason or he will keep coming around

• Baller

I still don’t get the whole tipping thing in any aspect. If I feel like I deserved something extra on a job, I flat out charge more.

I started out in life as a driver but I learned real quick that “getting paid in sets” didn’t quite buy groceries or pay the mortgage so I got a job that paid in dollars.

• Baller
Here is my two cents on the issue.....Tips are always appreciated but never expected and never influence the level of coaching or driving on your experience while at ski school (at least the one I ran). So to those of you who haven't traditionally tipped, no sweat. May be consider it in the future especially if you feel like your coach went the extra mile for you. What I found in my years working for others and then on my own was this: When I was coaching at a ski school, I received a ton of tips. This really helped as my pay for being a coach was not that great (you get paid in sets with the coach/owner). When I took over the operation, my tips went substantially down. I was informed from a friend that it commonplace for customers to not tip the owner of an operation but rather its employees. True, I did make more money per set as the owner but with a ton more work and stress. I appreciate all tips I receive as its a very nice gesture for the coach who gave you his/her all.

• Baller
As a biz owner I don’t accept tips. My staff is welcome to. One thing we never say no to is a hot coffee or a cold one..... I like s genuine gesture more than a forced tip