38 off Wake Problem

webbdawg99

• Baller
@AdamCord @adamhcaldwell Happy to report that I took your comments into heavy consideration tonight and noticed a significant improvement. I took a little wing out and focused on rolling in with more speed. I certainly built more speed earlier, felt lighter, and was wider and earlier at 1 while feeling slower and more in control. Thanks for the insight and comments.

• Baller

I used to have a problem with the MC ....not the new MC... trough at 38, 39....was skiing with Wade a bunch at the time , and he told me to get your angle early and lighten the push as you crossed the 2nd wake. Let the knees, ankles come up into you. If you already have the angle, you let your ankles, and knees absorb it without losing angle and without it bucking you out of position. If you're late, you got problems.

• Baller
I have to agree with MAtt Page. The fact is that behind different boats, the wakes and trough differ slightly at different line lengths. Anyway, provided you are stacked and balanced coming into the wakes, you are building pressure in the ski that can be released by advancing the ski slightly as you move through your transition. IF the timing is late, then the trough will take complete advantage of you. Just my two cents...

• Baller

I took a few minutes to read this thread.

Timing of the edge change, meaning where you start it, is crucial. I watched the videos of Andy, Regina, Nate, and mine and clearly Nate initiates the edge chance way before any of us, especially out of his onside pull. My guess is that he is right in the middle of edge-chance execution right on the end of the trough. As you transition from one edge to the next, so that tiny moment when your ski is flat, you have less ski in the water and less water underneath the ski. Hence, that bump (better, getting out of it) affects Nate less than anybody else.

I also think the bump affects different styles differently. If you are more of a tall skier with little leg movement, then I think a bad approach to the bump will affect your balance out of the ball, but it won't necessarily affect your timing. Different story for the skier who uses leg movement to cary out the edge change. I believe in this case, a bad approach to the bump will delay the edge chance (it takes some time to stand back up) without affecting balance too much.

Side note, it was instructive to look at that 39 video through this topic, so thank you @DmaxJC_ski ! Despite still too late compare to what I am working on, I initiated the edge change to 4 ball about a foot earlier than 2 ball. I think it's because I approached the wakes more on my front foot.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

I think the trough behind the 200 shines at least for me. The thrust spray from the prop fills in the area of the trough. When I have the ski on edge, it seems to give the ski a little extra push and make the outbound movement of the ski better through the edge change.

The trough almost got me paralyzed several years ago. I was at 39 and had 1 200+ person and 2 250+ pound person in the boat in my 196. I thought I was on my game and my ski literally stuffed in the trough between 2 and 3 my head hit first and the yard sale was on. I took a few minutes to get myself together and went at it again. Same result and I lost feeling in both arms. Herniated C7.

Bottom line ski needs to be on edge and if you are at 38 and shorter minimize weight in the boat. I always frown at skiing a tournament with a boat crew of 3 heavier people.