All new 2016 Vapor

• Baller

I would like to hear about this ski from any 34.2 skiers that are skiing on the 67" and who aren't getting free or discounted skis from Radar. No affiliation. Is it balanced on both sides? Another NASCAR ski? Stiff as an I beam? Soft? Just right on the flex? Would love it if... ?

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Would really like to hear from those skiing on this about what is working for you setting wise. I rode it for first time last night with Rossi settings. Really nice feel to the ski. Smooth. Really solid and confidence inspiring through the wakes. Definitely turns on both sides. I will need to ride it some more to learn what it likes in the turns. The ability to hit my pull out mark (width and height) was nearly automatic. It also allowed me to maintain my position before the turn in very easily (Did not want to turn or suck back in until I was ready to go). Felt very balanced and at ease before turn in. Transition from pull out to glide really solid and smooth. Good stuff. As to settings, only made one adjustment. 6.950 to 6.960. Was getting a lot of tip rise onside with the former. None with the latter. At 6.960 getting some alternating tip bite/rise offside (not too bad but some)... will split the difference and try 6.955.

Anybody try the Rini #s? Compared to Rossi?

• Baller
See my post above yours for the 67. Don't know what the others are and don't know that what you got may work great either, just getting started with the 2016 model. I know the numbers for the Green Vapor changed several times before they stabilized. On the green one, there were Rossi's numbers, Rini's numbers, and "other" numbers thrown around for quite a while.

• Baller

I think this was discussed in another thread, but it's interesting that "long and shallow" is kind of a trend now. I bet the surface area is about the same as the traditional 2.500 and 6.840 fins. Goode was the first long shallow fin I remember, now they run more traditional numbers.

Likely which ever feels good to the individual skier.

• Baller

One of the really nice things about this ski is that it is not super sensitive to change. The settings that I'm using right now are:

My personal settings

Boots - 65 28.5", 66 29", 67 29.5", 68 30"

Fin - 2.465, 6.940, 0.733 9 degrees

I have also been setting 34 mph short line skiers at the numbers below with lots of personal bests posted and is where I set skis at for nationals:

Boots - same as my boot recommended location above

Alternate fin setting - 2.460, 6.960, 0.735 9 degrees

Matt is running boots more forward with a shallower/longer fin with those settings being shown in the picture a few posts up. He has had success with his numbers as I have had with mine. Try them all and see what works best for you.

• Baller

I ran a really nice 39 at the Sunten Lakes tournament in Utah on the new 68 Vapor this weekend.

Bindings at 30" measured from the heal of front boot

9 degrees

I am going to make small adjustment and go to:

9 degrees

Hopefully those are the magic numbers for me to get through that pass more consistently.

• Baller
Let's hear about buoy count ! Are they going up ? Lots of blue vapors on ski it again. Guessing most are switching to the new one. Not sure if I should part with my blue one. Probably will , ran more 35's on the green one.

• Baller
First tourney post nats on the '16 for me this weekend (perfect conditions at Cottonwood). First round Saturday-meh not great, checked fin settings and who woulda figured- not stock anymore-one of the kidos musta dropped it (fin was short and shallow). I put it back on stock Rosco numbers and next set worked out the bugs and ran a descent 39- ended up with 3@41 on Saturday for top score.