All new 2016 Vapor

• Administrators
90k views? Holy Crap. Clearly this is the hottest ski of the year in terms of buzz. Congratulations @Chris Rossi @eddie_roberts_jr @brooks and the rest of the Radar boys

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
@jcmccavit there's pictures out there but should officially be released around August 8th. More accurately I expect all 2017 new colors to be shown at Nationals.

• Baller
Skied a set on one today for the first time. Lots of potential. Creates lots of angle out of the ball. I had to make sure I was on top of the ski in my preturn or it would break me at the waist. I'm a consistent 28 and 32 off skier and go deep into 35 most sets, running them on occasion. Today, I ran 35 the first set. It wasn't pretty, and it didn't count, but it was the first set.

• Baller

Body finally getting back in order following yard sale. 2 weeks off and a gentle progression since. Have run a number of head/tail 35's. Have not poked at purple yet. Second set today opened at 33.5 custom loop (instead of 28 opener) and just stayed there for reps to work on technique.

Smooth, quick, more load than the essentially load-less body sparing Denali.

My opinions only:

This is a turning ski that can generate and hold a lot of angle and speed no problem. This is also REALLY a handle control ski. Keep the handle, keep the handle, for best results. Even if you smoke a ball and think crap I'm so early and can release...resist the temptation to release and pose. Trust it, ease up progressively, stay outbound and keep the handle.

I know handle control is important in general...but some of my prior skis allowed me to cheat a bit. I'm a hit it behind the boat and release guy trying to be better. There is potential here for me, but it's not as natural as it's requiring me to change. One could argue, however, that it's asking me to change for the better.

• Baller

Just a note. I think regionals are a good barometer of what people are riding. If so, Radar is making some good inroads into the South Central Region. If you put the '14, '15', and 16' Vapors present together there were a lot.

In general I would say there is more parity now than a few years ago where we were pretty much a sea of black and orange. Goodes are still in the majority, but there were a fair number of D3's, HO's, Mapple's, and of course the aforementioned Vapors. Didn't see a Connelly. I can remember seeing one Denali and one MC, although I could certainly have missed others as I wasn't really trying to keep count.

What were you guys from other regions seeing?

• Baller

I set a PB 4 at 35’ off on my 2016 Vapor, my best score in many years, I switched to 34 mph a few years ago. Previously my PB was 2 at 35’ off at 36 mph.

I agree the ski is very friendly as you progress up the rope.

• Baller
I know I'm late to the party, but I just got a 67" Vapor to see what all the hype was all about. Well after two days on it, I believe. First day two sets on stock numbers the ski felt slow on my offside, but review of the video showed great turns. Day two. Two sets at 34.2 using Horton's numbers, WOW!! Offside better/stronger than my onside. Great angle off the ball and it keeps building angle to the center of the wake, without over powering you. I now know the feeling of Radar Love. This ski is now at the top of my quiver of skis.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

+1 for Rossi helping dial in the Vapor post purchase. Was trying some stuff on my own and not hitting the ideal despite feeling potential. 2 adjustments from Rossi over two days of skiing with two sets to try each and if today wasn't a fluke it's good to go. Went from better yesterday but not quite to even better today.

I did something today I've never attempted because it felt so good first set. Second set I successfully opened at 35 off.

• Baller

Had not been to the course in 2 weeks again, but made it there this morning. I have been skiing a bunch on the river, however. Add another personal best to the Vapor tally as I skied around 3 ball at -35. I've made 2 several times, and I didn't even try for 4 as I broke at the waist at 3. I had not planned to pull it in, but a few -28 and two -32 felt so easy I couldn't resist. I would love to see what I could accomplish with this ski skiing the course 2-3 times a week like I used to be able to do.

I'm beginning to think I should have bought the 68" as was suggested by @skidawg and @eddie_roberts_jr but I really can't say the 69.5" feels too big or feels like it's holding me back. I'm 6'5" and I've been a consistent 210-213lbs depending on the day, and it just makes me wonder if I'd rather have the shorter ski.

• Baller

I was a little late getting to the 2016 Vapor party but I thought I would pass alone some information that I got from @Chris Rossi that may help someone else as much as it helped me. At 5'10" and 190 ish I am on the small side of the size chart for the 68" ski I bought. After a few weeks on it I was thinking I made a mistake going with a bigger ski.

I sent Chris a email and asked for some help. The settings he recommended made the ski absolutely come alive. It went from feeling slow and sluggish to "agile". They are away from stock settings and I would have never thought of tiring them.

Boots 30 3/8 18 3/8

Now I have the benefit of a bigger ski that turns FAST.

As someone already said it is pretty cool getting that kind of personal help from the ski designer!!!!

• Baller
im 160ibs sold my 67" that i think was little to big for me and got the 66" instead using skijay settings 2.450, 6.970, .745, 8°, 29.5 the ski comes around very fast on my onside and have left me behind a few or more times so it seems that i rly need to climb that frontfoot even on my onside shall try on hole forward same settings

• Baller
I've been testing a lot this summer. Last time I skied on the Vapor was a month ago - ran straight up the line through 38, which is good skiing for me. Switched skis and didn't ski on it for a month. Switched back and first day on it straight up the line to 2 at 39. Today skied it again. First set got 4, but ran 38 on a mulligan. Second set straight up the line to 2 at 39. This is a ski that works!

• Baller
And works well. I think the biggest feeling I have in the ski is that it is confidence inspiring. It shoots across the wakes, gets wide and early, and then just turns so darn well and starts all over again. I am really not looking forward to winter.

• Baller
Pulled @razorskier1 on the two successful 38's tonight. The first one some mistakes and out the gates the second one was some sort of joke...best pass of the night all lines considered. No slack, tight lines, super easy drive to hang with him. The 39 gate and 1 ball were bueno long pulled to 2 or could have been in it and had a shot. Was light tail magnifying the long pull into 2...going the other direction I think we would have been heading down course.