Transitioning to 34.2

webbdawg99

• Baller
Everybody does it after you get over the "but I like skiing 36 and don't want to give it up" stage. Picking up a rope length helps you lick your wounds. My first tourney at 34 just a week after my speed dropped was my tourney PB for 6 years.

• Supporting Member

I know one guy who stayed at 36 for a long time (by the simple method of lying about this age before that became legal). Now as a 34mph skier, he still trains at 35mph for -28 and -32, and then slows it for -35 and beyond.

It's only one data point, but I don't feel this has done anything remarkable for him. But fwiw, he might be the most consistent 2 @ -38 skier on earth. Perfect conditions? 2 @ -38. Monsoon? 2 @ -38.

I think the bigger aspect of what 6balls experienced is that it's really really hard to get better after a certain point. My practice top end has been 103.5 buoys for about 13 years, covering both 36 and 34. So you get that first-set 34-PB and you assume you can get a lot more once you train at 34. But in fact, it's damn hard to get more at this stage, regardless of how you train.

I don't mean to be defeatist: It's always possible to get better with good coaching, intelligent practice, and time on the water. But I doubt the pattern of speeds you train at is a huge factor.

So my recommendation is: Do whatever speed pattern you find most fun!

• Baller

I think what it all means...from a physics perspective...is that at short lines, the line is more the enemy than the boat speed. Certainly 36 is harder than 34 mph, but 38 off, 39 off and beyond present certain angle propositions regardless of speed that are very challenging and create an asymptote for many of us in terms of bettering performance regardless of speed.

• Baller
@6balls I think I remember you and @Razorskier1 talking about preparation for weight lifting competitions. Something about just holding a weight heavier than you plan on lifting. My assumption is that when you simply hold a heavier weight, it makes your actual max weight "feel" lighter. To me, this seems to be a very similar parallel. It's about tricking my brain into thinking that 34 is slow....instead of normal.

• Baller

True we did static holds with ridiculous weight at times. We also did board presses with stacks of 2 by 4's on our chests...come down touch the boards and up...with way more weight than we could take to the chest...all a mind game.

Given I'm on PP my buddy Bob runs me hot most of the time so I don't feel as fast on ZO at tourney's. Maybe just running strong side ZO is worth it at all lines in practice knowing you will get ZO actuals in tourneys.

• Baller

Than. You don't have to lie about it. You can ski 36 as long as you want, you just have to tell the driver. I skied 36 until I was 41. All practice and non regional, national, or Big Dawg events were at 36. Dropped to 34 for those "competitive" tournaments. Talking with KLP at a Big Dawg convinced me that the timing factor was a big deal, so I slowed down for practice.

34.2 is girls speed. I'm still getting over being embarrassed about it.

• Baller
I, like @Than_Bogan don't mean to be defeatist, but expect a short adjustment period and then maybe pick up 4-5 buoys. Here comes the downside.....lots of skiers, over time lose 2-3 of these gained buoys. Sometimes over the winter layoff, for those who winter applies to. As @horton once said, changing speeds messes with your timing. I can address personally moving from 34 to 32( if anyone really cares about real old guys). I picked up 4-5 buoys in practice and kept that for the next full season. Then the next year I lost a couple, and by the next year no extra buoys at all consistently. For me I had a tournament average of 2 @35 off at 34. I improved to a tournament average of 5@35 at 32. Now I'm back to a tournament average of 86.33. I can however run 32 off much more consistently (meaning about 90%) but 35 is just a crap shoot now. You have to also take into consideration something that I fear....old age maybe has had an impact. You can't keep the same performance forever. Having said all this, @webbdawg99 , you're only 35 and you can dismiss the last 2/3 of my rambling!

• Baller

As a Skier:

So, personally (and I don't know if I am a good example because I have been struggling at 39 lately) I ski at 34.2 because I want to know and trust things at that speed and know where I can be atient and where I need to pick up the pace. For me, there may be a time when I need to ski 36 in practice, but right now, most of my issues are based around trusting I can get to the next buoy without overworking it. My mentality is still based on 36 mph so I rush turns when I don't need to. That's just me as a skier.

As a Coach:

Now, as a coach, I would say there is no correct answer. I feel like on this forum everyone always seems to look for the CORRECT answer. I think we all know, there really is no perfect equation. Jeff Rogers may start at 36 and dial it down as he goes and that works for him. IF you have ever spent time skiing with him or just being around him, you would also know that it probably wouldn't matter. He knows he can run 41 at both speeds.

Some people may need to challenge themselves in practice so it feels like slow-mo in a tnmt. Some people may not get enough of an opportunity to practice a specific line length by doing this. Still others, may need to learn the speeds.

I think there are a ton of great thoughts on here. Don't pigeonhole yourself by picking one way. The same goes for technique. Keep an open mind and find what works for you.

Sorry for my ambiguous post...but that's my two cents...not that anyone asked.

I hope you are all having a great summer and it continues well into the fall. Now I am going back to work so I have time to go take a ski set so I can learn how to start skiing well!

My choice to ski 35 mph has more to do with extending my season. As you know you can get away with much more at 34. However after back surgery, my back would disagree. If you can ski 34 I think it is better. The gates at 39 and 41 are very important as is the timing. Skiing fast has an adverse effect on the gates as you slow down.

• Baller
I feel like it is a timing thing. I ski some 36mph just because it is fun -- primarily 28 and 32 off. However, the cadence at that speed is very different than 34.2. Like @Sethski, I am better off to learn what I need to do and how to stay on time with the boat at one speed rather than two. It does take a while to learn that you don't need to work so hard to "make the ski go". The ski will go if you just set an edge and stay on top of it. Because it takes more to build from lost speed, I think it is more important at 34.2 to maintain speed throughout rather than speeding up, slowing down, speeding up, slowing down. At 36 if you lose speed the boat gives it back to you. At 34.2 when you lose speed, you are kind of in a hole in the water, and it is tougher to get moving again.

• Supporting Member
@Sethski Well we certainly can't trust anyone who is struggling at -39. I mean I can run -39 every time ... on the minicourse! And btw, the original poster (@webbdawg99) actually did request your thoughts on the matter. Thanks for sharing them!

• Baller
I love how so many people on here like to say that 36 isn't that much harder. Now everyone is talking about how many buoys they picked up. I've only seen 6 ball at -35/36 once before and didn't get out the gates, but I can run it all day long at 34