Boat Bottom Cleaner

Fatroll

Heys Guys! Steve Milano here... Formulator of HC-1 and Owner. I want to take a moment to answer some questions posted about the product.

HC-1 comes in 2 forms: 1) a crystal powder pack that needs to be dissolved in water, and 2) a premixed liquid version that's ready to apply. The premixed version has materials in it that thicken the cleaner, allowing to stay where its applied and not run off the boat - Kind of like a wall paint- and it can be applied with a common yard sprayer. The thickened version allows the active chemical to efficiently attack the algae sense its not running off the surface.

The active ingredient in both forms is identical and in scienctific terms it's considered a "weak acid". Unlike some aggressive acid cleaners in the market, this one is a lot safer and will not harm galvanized, painted or rubber surfaces on the boat or trailer.

HC-1 will effectively remove stains and nasty undergrowth as it was formulated with a chemical that enters into the algae particles and destroys them from the inside out. If the boat is really bad, ie algae hair all over, HC-21needs a little more time to react and/or 2 applications. 1 gallon of the premix is designed to cover 400 square feet of surface (a 20 foot boat). The one pound powder pack make 3 gallons of cleaner, but this material will run off surfaces. Still very effective though...

Shipping into Canada needs to be investigated but I believe do-able via FedEx. An MSDS is available for the product and ingredients, application instructions and product safety warnings are clearly printed on the label in compliance with laws of consumer products. Active ingredient is ethanedioic acid.

This is a start-up business in year one and I appreciate your support and welcome any feedback or comments. If you wish to contact me directly, feel free to do so at stevemilano@aurorachemical.com or the phone number listed on www.aurorachemical.com

Ski Hard and Thanks!

-Steve

• Baller

And this, right here, is why I love this forum. Another example of an individual going on their own to create a product they are passionate about.

And not only that, but when some people have questions, next thing you know @SteveMilano is signed up for BallofSpray and giving answers.

I know nothing about this product. But I think the engagement is just awesome.

Technically oldjeep you're right. Ethanedioic acid is the chemical name and the generic name is oxalic acid. But this is where the commonality stops. Let me explain a little...

Purity: Ethanedioic acid is just that. Oxalic acid, not so much. Generally 90-95% pure. Will common oxalic acid itself work? For sure, but it's my opinion that there's a lot of waste and user tend too much to their solution causing the trailer problems referenced above. What else is in there?

pKa: A chemistry thing that identifies how much of an acid can go into water and dissociate. Add more than the dissociation constant allows and you're simply wasting material. Mine is dead nuts on. If an acid species doesn't dissociate, it's not working.

Secret Sauce: I have developed a surfactant package that allows the pure ethanedioic acid to -very effectively- wet out and attack the algae from the inside out. Additionally the thickening ingredient keeps the material where its applied.

By all means if you're happy with what you're using, keep using it! I've developed mine to be safe for end users, their boats and trailers. It's environmental safe and completely biodegradable.

Don't get me wrong... I want you to buy my product. But to simply say it's just oxalic acid isn't quite fair.

• Baller_

@jetpilotg4 Did you add some peroxide to the TB cleaner? If you were using a scotch bright you must have had some major gunk on there. I use Lysol blue with some peroxide and its spray on and wipe off.

Our dealership just took in a used pontoon that has not had the toons cleaned in 10 years and it sat in the water for 10 summers. We sell Zing aluminum cleaner which usually works great but it did not even budge on this project.

colo_skier,

HC-1 will not react with chrome. I'll assume your boat was clean last week when you put it in... And with one week of growth you're not going to need a lot of product. If my assumption above is correct, you can pour some HC-1 on a damp rag and smear it around. No need to saturate the hull will the whole gallon. For best results, apply as soon as you pull the boat The rinse off when you get home.

I'll have to look into Australia shipping requirements and costs. Ryno, if you shoot me an email with your address via www.aurorachemical.com, I'll get you a shipping quote via FedEx or UPS.

• Baller
Here is what I plan on doing. (boat clean going in). HC-1 in spray bottle spray lower hull once on trailer. Let it sit while using vinegar and water to clean the rest of the fiberglass. Come back and spray lower hull with water from a spray bottle to rinse of HC-1. Use wax and shine to finish everything off. Anything wrong with this approach?

mbabiash...

I think the dullness (above the waterline) is an oxidized layer of gelcoat/pigment. I use Mcguires 44 on mine and elbow grease. HC-1 will help if this is the case, but the top layer of gelcoat needs to be buffed away and sealed with wax.

Hard water scale... for sure. I'll recommend the 1 pound powder pack mixed into hot water and applied while hot. Depending on how bad the scales are, you may need 2 applications.

• Baller
That was after a week in the water. Stuff worked really well at getting the scum off as you can see. For my application I had to spread it around since I am not so good at spraying upside down. Were it landed it cleaned up the green. I used a spray bottle with water to rinse and then wax and dry afterwards. On some of the more ingrained stuff underneath it did start cleaning. I was not up for getting under the boat though and attacking that.

• Baller
I am going to order some. My boat will be a lot dirtier than that though. @SteveMilano a question for you about application. When I pull my boat I have about a 3 mile drive back to the house. Should I apply the cleaner at the launching ramp and rinse when I get home or is it ok to wait until I get home to apply the cleaner. The bottom will be dried somewhat by then but not totally set.

Thanks colo-skier! I'm glad this worked out for you!

I can ship to Canada, but it will cost a little more to ship. Please send me an email at stevemilano@aurorachemical.com with your address and I'll provide a quote for shipping.

Answer for Chef23. You can apply it either way you described. HC-1 really goes at the algae fresh out of the water though.

Good Luck and Thanks Everyone!

• Baller
BTW I used very little of the product to do this, maybe 1/4 of a pint. I also believe that I could have used a whole lot less if I were to use a cloth and spread it around rather than relying on my spraying ability. Once thing I did notice was a little chalk like residue that rinsed off with the water. So process was spray HC-1, spread about to areas were I didn't spray well wait 2 minutes, rinse with water from another spray bottle spray wax and dry then wipe dry to finish. Also in the pictures you can see that the very bottom of the hull is still discolored. This is because I was to tired to climb underneath to get that. Next time I will hit that area better.

• Baller
@SteveMilano super fast shipping on your end, I should have the product tomorrow. Question, my plan is to spray on a the boat ramp when it comes out of the water. Will it still hang on to the boat for the 15 minute ride home? Or should I wait till I get home and spray it on?

@SteveMilano Thanks heaps for checking out prices for delivery to Australia.

Is there any off the shelf product or chemical that I may be able to find here in Australia that could do a similar job? The results from your product seem amazing.

Here's another attempt for the link...

http://www.aurorachemical.com/buy-hc-1.html

If this does work, just type in www.aurorachemical.com into your web browser and you get to the page.

Slvrbulit: I'd at least hit the sides and waterline area lightly at the boat ramp... and other heavy spots. When algae is fully saturated with water it will readily react with the HC-1.

Wait on the remainder and hit it when you get home.

The white residue that colo_skier spoke of is normal and will happen. Thoroughly rinse the driveway down with water after cleaning. One thing that a lot of folks do by me is take their boats to a self car wash station and clean it there. This may be a good option for people that are picky about their driveway. The white stuff is just the left overs from the HC-1 reacting with the algae... Rinse it away!

• Baller
@ShaneH, I believe that you have the new non-acceptable formula. It also appears that prior to that there was a natural reduction in the evolution of off-spring of male boat owners that did in fact try to enforce this rule. Either that or the wife unit was shown to have preference for other males of the species and hence the male boat owner was reduced to a boat-less male loner begging for ski rides.