Same count no matter what

ToddF

I am starting to realize something,

It doesn't seem to matter what ski or what bindings and fin combination I choose.(within reason)

I ski to the same buoy count pretty much anytime plus or minus a buoy .

Whether it is Connelly HO Radar. Although I would run 35 a lot more on my A1than I do now, but it killed my back????

Obviously for me it is the Skier not the ski.

So, short of chasing skis I guess I need to chase technique, so how many people have gone back to square one and changed stuff from the ground up? ie.. Rocky III

Did it work?

how old were you when you did it?

How long did it take? Was it worth it?

Is it even possible????

• Baller

I've run about the same scores on a number of skis and have not improved much overall in the 8 years I've been in M3...despite ski changes, coaching and a lot of thought. My tourney PB's have for the most part been better than my practice scores...but very close. My tourney average type of score is typically what I run in practice on the average day. Special days better, stinky days worse.

I have a pic of my onside in college at spring break and one from skiwatch tourney a few years ago...it looks the same except I used to have more hair...it's my signature 2,4 turn...it's my BOS pic.

Some skis may help you some, some may get you an extra buoy or two, some may make it easier to ski up to your potential, or make it easier on your body to do so. More the skier than the ski, says me. I would always like a few more buoys, though, or an easier or more consistent way to get them.

• Baller

Yes - was struggling with 18m, 16m and random 14m, now start at 14, 13 mostly a given, 12 every second set or so. Have got to 5@11. Importantly it's all smooth and controlled now and TOTALLY different when I watch the videos.

I was 46 ( been skiing for 36years, started course skiing in my teens - gap of 20years then picked it up again.

Took 4 years

Hell yes - feel I can ski into my 60s now

See above...

• Baller

I'm with @6balls , can you please clarify? I'm trying to leave earlier from my pull out heading for the gates. I end up just inside the right hand gate ball and get a better, more controlled start so I don't start off scrambling.

That's my take, but I'd like to hear thoughts from you 38 and 39 skiers.

Thanks,

Steve

• Baller
Back on topic, I agree that it's usually the Indian not the arrow! But to contradict that, some skis just seem to work better for your style than others. Last season I was on a top shelf ski that I simply could not make work! I was so freaking frustrated that I felt like giving up! I jumped on a different brand and everything was great. In fact this year I'm skiing a lot better than I should be for the time I've spent on the water. So agree? Yes and no. Lol

• Baller

@Drago, hats off to you and @ToddF, I love references to old bad movies.

I've been trying to break old bad habits and improve my technique. It's been a struggle to say the least. I think I'm doing it wrong though. I have not been running enough easier passes over and over again to build muscle memory. The problem with the easier passes for me is I can get away with bad technique.

• Baller

I agree with @brody. Some skis just don't work for people. I say that and have watched others jump on skis and rip right up the line however even those skiers ski differently on different skis.

I have purchased a few skis over my short ski life and every ski has made me a bit better.

Even the guys I ski with compliment the progression I have made. I'm 49 years old and 2 years ago couldn't run a pass at 15 off. Yesterday was 28 off again on my current ski and had me smiling coming off the water. My new ski should be here at the end of Sept and I can't wait to rock it too!

• Baller

@ToddF - for me video is invaluable.

Reasons:

- We don't have any consistent coaching here - lots of well meaning guys in the boat but no one actually skiing consistently at 13 or shorter (which is where I spend my time), so I need to coach myself.

- Very often I will be working on something and because I don't make many passes, or have a "feel bad" set, assume it's not working only to find when I watch the video back that it is and it has actually highlighted another issue - if I just listened to my body or the guys in the boat I would miss so much. (I also dislike the "quick fix" approach to coaching ie Palm up/down, look over there, counter here etc, which deflects what you are trying to impose on the ski. "Fixes" can be useful but I want to know what they are actually trying to achieve )

- So often you think you are making a major change because it feels different yet when you watch the video you can really see If a meaningful change is taking place or if you are kidding yourself.

- I have sent video to a number of coaches (Rossi, Seth ) and find that not only does this work but I can then go back later and compare videos to make sure the change is permanent.

- When I make a PB I have it recorded :)

- When I stuff it up I have it recorded :)

Note - I currently use a gopro (with £20 zoom lens) and a tracker - turn it on and forget about it at the beginning of the set.

• Baller

Gopro can make it look like you are skiing a very long way away. The two pics are stills from a video using the 2x zoom lens on the gopro ( gopro set to narrow fov). First picture is video on iPad as comes up, the second is the view when you double tap the iPad to expand the picture. Obviously you can crop the image in iMovie or similar but that takes time.

y8lsrfxo23k2.jpg

8xswsb53wmbt.jpg