malibu flightcraft inboard...any experience?

6balls

• Baller

Friend looking for sub $10K ski tug (ideally would go a little higher if had to). Not course skiers but love to ski. Have Sport Nautique right now and not happy with wake at their lines/speeds ie) 15 off 32 free skiing. Looking at all available hulls out there with good wakes ie) 91-94 MC's, '97 high hour TSC's etc.

Came across this boat. @razorskier1 almost bought one moons ago we drove and skied together and he would have bought it but his stolen boat was then recovered by police and returned. At that time we were good footers and it was great for that...but we were 15 off 32 mph slalom skiers with very little course time. It footed great, ran nearly 50 mph, we were apparently happy with the slalom wakes, it tracked well and handled like a Ferrari. It was cramped inside and took waves over the bow...very low to the water. I remember it as a very cool boat...but this was moons ago.

My buddy lives on a super quiet, narrow, small public lake in rural MN. Cheaper really the better for these folks they need a lift, too, so any savings directed toward it. Anyone with more experience than a test drive/ski 25 yrs ago on this hull?

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=34248

THX

• Baller

@wish I think they badged it a Sportster instead of a Malibu Flightcraft for a year or two, but then the Sportster became a fresh design with a flatter bottom. The true Sportster is a great hull. Super barefoot boat, great slalom wake, goes like hell, handles on a dime, tracking not as good at the Response and tight interior.

Anyone with more Malibu Flightcraft inboard hull experience? These folks are really never going to be shortliner's or wake-boarders...they want a flatter wake for an aging dude and his two teen-age daughters who free ski most mornings 32-34 mph 15 off. On the sport nautique they ski 28 off to try to improve the wake but they really are after a better wake at a low price. This $8K flightcraft would be a great price if it fits the bill from a wake perspective.

THX!

• Baller_
@6balls you know the drill. If that kind of wake is what they are looking for then they need a TC1 hull and should keep looking. If there was another rig out there that had the same performance at those speeds and lengths, it would well known. That one is not.

• Baller
I'd do my own research on whether the stringers are wood or not. I'm doubtful about seller's claim that all Malibus '93 and beyond have no wood. The '93 Echelon was the first 'bu with no wood, but I think the other models may have gone on with wood until '95... I could be wrong about that. Check out themalibucrew.com for more.

• Baller

I believe the 94s are wood free. One of the nicest looking boats of the time IMO. Still low and sleek looking. Keep in mind that is a 260hp engine which is fine for rec skiing and boarding and Will push that light hull well.

It is not the same hull as the malibu sportster/tantrum hull. It has a similar deck and 86" beam above the chines but the hull is the same as the >92 flight crafts.

• Baller
small boat, very fast. Wakes were low but harder at the curl. In some ways I felt they were more like outboard wakes. Wakes also similar to the Gekko in that respect. Very fun to drive and skied pretty well. I believe it was a no wood boat if my recollection is correct. Extremely low riding. Good thing it's a closed bow!

• Baller
You probably have all heard that our economy here in Alberta has absolutely Sh!t the bed, I've sure noticed some real nice sub 13k boats for sale around here. Gekko, older nautiqes, Brendella, mastercrafts, supra. If things were a bit steadier in my world I would probably be jumping on one of these.