Have you: Broken a rope/handle (handle age) and had an injury ?

gsm_peter

• Baller

Handle/rope age: One season is defined as approx 100 sets (normal wear and tear with normal skiing)

Rope shall not been broken due to poor handling like know faults type partial cuts, knot etc

An injury is defined as you could not ski again within a few days.

For those who have broken a rope/handle please comment on ski level short line, hard/heavy on the rope and when applicable about the injury (severity, time to come back)

Missing an option. Can not edit yet.

Option 10 shall be my answer: I have never broken a rope/handle age less than 5 seasons

• Baller
Broke a Radar Extend handle getting out of water. Did approx 10hrs of free skiing and about 6 sets. Did read of a few other ballers had the same trouble and noticed Radar has ditched them from their 2016 lineup. The Vapor is a much better handle. Ski -15@ 30-32

Seen too many people snap lines and break ribs, so I switch out lines every season. Helps avoiding golfers elbow. Masterliness handles can go 2 maybe 3 seasons (skiing 5 times a week), the rubber goes before the line, those things are pretty bulletproof. Ropes its just not worth it....chop them out people!

• Baller_
It has been over 20 years ago a company called Freestyler was building most of the slalom lines being utilized here in Florida. The green section was the week link and many of them would break at that section. Myself included broke two in one season. that company found and addressed the problem.

• Baller

I was in the center of the wakes at the hardest part of the pull when the handle line broke. Hit the 2nd wake hard...my hands and handle crashed into my lower ribcage cracking 3 sternum attachment points. I could not even get back in to the boat - had to be towed to shore holding the platform. Out of action about 2 months. Worst ski injury ever!

Take the advice of everyone saying to replace handles and ropes! I sure do now!

• Baller

I suffered an injury to my pride this summer when I realized that my new practice PB wasn't really at -35 off. Compared ropes and—using my too-old rope—it was more like -34 off. And my PP was going closer to 33.5mph. Augh.

A couple of years back I broke a different too-old rope while in a full lean, hit the wakes, was badly winded and a little beat up, but back to normal after a day or so. All other rope-breaks I've seen in the last few years have been while getting up/deepwater starts. No injuries.

• Baller
Like @swerveit says. I was using a old ski school rope. Got a little some slack and rope was like a cable. Injured my elbow felt something pop. Missed a few weeks of prime ski time and it took about 18 months to finally stop hurting when I skied.

• Baller

I had a handle break when I was fully loaded behind the wake. It was a mid priced Masterline handle on it's second season. It was the type of handle that has covers on the ends so that you can't see if the rope is frayed. It hurt a little but I did't get injured I just smashed back away from the boat.

Since then I have gotten a new handle every year and only used handles with exposed rope at the ends so I could at least see if it is frayed.

I broke an ancient handle on a get up three years ago and knocked the wind out of myself. We called an even older double handle into service as soon as I could breath again. Fitting, as I was behind an '88 Ski Sanger and riding a '83 Jobe Open Class that morning.

That was the first time I'd skied in 14 years. I hit SIA pretty hard that month.

• Baller
Broke a Radar Extend handle last Saturday morning. First pass of the day, just a warm up -22 @ 34. As soon as I loaded the line after ball 1, it blew coming into wake 1. I normally ski a bit stronger than I should, especially early passes before I settle in. Nothing is broken, but I sprained my ankle pretty good. It's still swollen, and Achilles is tight but I may not have to get a CT scan. Seems to be getting better

• Baller

Worse thing that has happened is..... had a guy loop the rope on wacky and it popped off the pylon at 32' Off in my opener and I ate the first wake with chest and ribs. Ruined my winter ski training vacation, but no serious long lasting injury. Just reminds me to not trust just anyone.

I buy a new rope and handle every season, but I also ski 2 sets a day, every day from about May 1 - Nov 1. So it doesn't owe me anything after that duration of time.

• Baller
Broken ropes and handles, both used and, in one instance, brand new. I don't pull as hard anymore and haven't done that in probably two decades now. Worst injury from any of them was ribs from both punching myself when it broke, and hitting the wakes when I hit the water. Plan is to avoid that from here on out.

• Baller

Broke a handle when I was 15 years old, I noticed that one side of the bridle where it meets the grommet was frayed, asked my dad if it was okay and he said it would be fine. The pass after he said it was fine it broke right before I hit the first wake. Caused a partial release on my front foot and I broke my foot.

Just because you think the equipment is new enough does not always mean it is safe. Inspect and error on the side of caution.

• Baller
I broke two lines this year. Both should have been retired earlier because of heavy use, not age. In my youth (mid 1990s)I bent multiple straight line handles by simply pulling too hard. Back then I was big (240) and strong and skied the course with almost no finesse. Nowadays I am much lighter(195) and ski with a lot more grace and I think the chance of my Masterline custom handle going is slim to none.

I didn't have a rope or handle break recently. Has anyone had this happen. I missed 2 fingers on the handle after the turn and the handle popped out of my hand and hit the ski only to find out that it cracked it. I have two cracks about a foot from the top of the ski. Ski is ruined.

• Baller

My intermediate conclusion if I have asked the correct questions and interpret the answers correctly

Out of currently 55 Votes total

- 27 % uses 6-10 years old rope/handles. Rather old equipment

- 42% broke 1-2 years old rope/handles. Rather new equipment

- 34% got injured. High percentage

- Some folks really stress the equipment beyond specifications ;0)

I would have expected that

- Older equipment would break more often

- Since the risk of getting injured is rather large few people would use old equipment

Please keep on answer!

• Administrators

@gsm_peter the data is not the best since you do not know the level of skier or the amount of skiing per year.

I will not ski with a handle or rope with visible wear.

Besides the danger of breaking a rope it is hard on your joints to ski hard on an old rope. For skiers who are working on 15 off or not skiing balls at all I think old ropes are fine. Once you commit to a higher level of skiing your needs change.

FYI I do not let my baby in the boat without a shock tube and I would not let her in the boat if the skier is using an old or crap rope.

• Baller

@Horton

I agree that the data is not sufficient to make any solid conclusions.

The intention was to high light the magnitude of the problem.

I am surprised that fresh-new equipment can break so fast.

Maybe there is a need for an another poll with better questions?

At my level I can most likely ski many seasons without breaking anything and if I do I would most likely not have any major injuries.

(However, some sort of conclusion can be made. With more than 16 answers data start to be of 'normal distribution curve'. Sorry for my language - not English fully speaking)

• Baller
I've never broken a rope or handle, but I change my rope every year and handle every 2 years. One of my ski partners has been skiing on a very old rope which lays in the sun every weekend, and every year for the last 3 or so I told him he was crazy and should get a new rope. Sure enough, this summer, the rope broke, and so did his ribs. The first thing he said to me after he surfaced was "I know, you told me so". He missed almost 2 months of skiing this summer.

Broken two- both at 22 off. Both hard on the hands- first time took a good rib hit- second time my right arm 'pinned' into the water and the deceleration caused a shoulder muscle tear. Can't throw a football much any more but couldn't do it well before either :-)