What OPEN BOW boat with ZERO OFF has the best wakes/bump at 15 and 22 off (30 mph)

gt2003

I know everyone has their personal opinion but trying to get some good data for use in a boat purchase. GF likes the LXI but it's the only open bow we have skied at this point. She is new to slalom as of last ski year, I just started attempting the course last year. Since the LXI in Katy has sold, what are your opinions? MUST be open bow and be new enough to have Zero Off as the standard cruise control.

• Baller
I just picked up a higher hour(900hrs) txi for 32k. Great boat and wake at 15-22off and slower speeds is really nice. I think you could probably look around for a higher hour SN200 as well for the same price range. If cared for, these engines last 3000 hrs or more.

• Baller

Since you are just starting, your skill set development is WAY more important than the perfect 30mph slalom wake. The MC is the most versatile boat, great for tricks and wakeboards while still having a lot better wake than I learned with. When you get to deep shortline, the MC is as good as any boat offered. If you can't adapt to the MC wake, you won't progress very far. And if you train behind the MC, you will do well in tournaments.

There's a bit of a prima donna effect about slalom wakes. The wake is a very small part of the slalom run. While some wakeboard boats kick up a slalom wake that can cause bad habits, wakes that are within reason will not affect your development as a skier. Every boat on your list would be great for you. Get the best deal on the best boat you can find. Keep the GF happy!

Eric

• Baller

In my mind, both your requirements may be a little counter-productive.

I agree with @eleeski - having the very-best-slalom-wakes-ever does create a bit of a primadonna effect... people eventually turning their nose up at a ride behind anything else, which to me is the exact opposite attitude someone should have towards their favourite pastime.

Any of the boats you've listed are fine. The old, dreaded -22 off bump has generally been negligible on non-crossover, direct-drive ski boats for the last 15 years.

Moreover, other than planning for much higher scores and serious competitive skiing a few years down the road, I'm not sure why Zero Off (vs an older boat with PPass/Stargazer) is a deal-breaker at the 30mph range.

I'd encourage most folks in your spot to spend a little less on equipment (within reason) if it means you can spend a little more on coaching. If you can afford both, go for it!

• Baller
My RLX is better than any of those at 30 mph. The older LXI is good but the newer 07 and later is pretty big at 30mph. I still like the newer LXI though. 197 I wouldn't even consider. 200 is ok, nice over 34mph. The LXI in Waco has been for sale for quite awhile. Its a little rough, I think its worth somewhere below 20k.

• Baller_
I'll agree with @gregy on the Response LX as an option, albeit a little smaller. I have a 2009 LX with ZO (first year it was native). But, a 2007 or 2008 can also be converted to ZO.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
A friend and I were looking for a slalom boat for lower speeds (28-30 mph). We skied the 200, txi and 2004 lxi. To both of us 200 was the hands down winner at 28 mph 15 off. I had read a lot of people's opinions on here that txi and 200 were very comparable at longer line lengths....we found a big difference. Didn't compare them at a faster speed. Bought a nice 2011 SN 200.

Thanks folks. I tend to get a bit over zealous and I may have done so in this case. I likely just need to look for a good, solid boat with perfect pass. There are many out there. If I ever get to tournament status, I can upgrade. No reason to break the bank at this point.

@oldjeep , that one is a nice boat but has the Malibu precision speed control, not even PP. Thoughts on that? There is a 2008 that has tower and is similar as well but with perfect pass. So, at least I have options. Link

• Baller

Between the LXI, 197 and 200 I believe the 200 is the significantly superior boat in regards to slalom wakes (any speed) and ease for inexperienced/weak drivers to give a good ride. Will say the 197 has the best trick/wakeboard wake.

Move up to the TXI and 2014+ ProStar and I still like the 200, but strong arguments can (and are!) made for the other TXI and PS. Wife likes the 200, she's 26 to 30 -15, but is happy to ski behind the new MC as well. From a space/usability standpoint I think the new ProStar is best but don't like how it drives (slides laterally, feels big).

The above comments answer your question, best open bow with ZO for -15 -22. None are the best "hang out in" boats, DD's suck for that. But the more you ski the more you love them.

• Baller

@gt2003 You, or almost anyone non-pro, doesn't "need" ZO. You don't "need" a beer on the dock after skiing either, but sure is nice. If your at the cusp dollar wise I think your crazy not to get ZO. It is way easier to set up and drive properly which gives a very consistent ride pass to pass, day to day. I think for a developing course skier that is extremely helpful. Crew weight, head/tail wind, skier weight just don't matter. Getting a nice PP boat for slightly less and then dicking around with Stargazer/Zbox (possibly spending $$) to emulate when you could have had ZO doesn't make sense.

Lots of skiers ski well with PP. I skied with PP and Stargazer for years. A couple on my lake both ski into 38 with PP (she is right near the top of her list), but sounds like the Titanic is going down at the ends. Lots of beeping going on as they adjust PP to go the other way. ZO is easier/nicer/better if you can.

• Baller
Had my first ever ski behind the new Mastercraft last week. First thing I noticed was the impact of the wake on my opener at -28 that the Nautique does not have. Second and third sets I could not feel it anywhere near as much. I also found the pull to be different from the 200 to the extent that I thought about trying a different ZO setting. I'm not saying the MC was bad just different to the Nautique and I needed time to adapt, what surprises me is that the difference between the two is so noticeable and it took buoys off my score rather than adding them. (initially)

• Baller

@gt2003 I’m a 15 off @ 32 free skier and bought a 2006 prostar 197 with PP Star Gazer and a mini tower 2 years ago. IMO it’s a super fun boat (some/most will totally disagree) and looks sharp too. The wake may not be perfect at 22 and 28 off (I’m no expert) but its light years better than the 2003 Four Winns 180 that I had before.

My son knee boards and loves it. My nephews will wakeboard behind it all day long and my sisters will ski with me any chance they get. My wife is my driver and its super easy for her.

We’re on public water and yes you have to keep bow up in big waves so you don’t fill it.

If the Price, Hours and Condition are right I wouldn’t be afraid to consider one.

Bottom line for us is to have FUN!!

• Baller

The 197s are great for tricking and wakeboarding. If you put some sacks in the they can put up a monster. One of my ski buddy has an 08 197 with ZO and the wake is more noticeable than any boat I ski behind. 22off has a noticeable bump that almost put me OTF more than once. If I was given one I'd trade it for another brand.

28off and shorter I think the wake looks better. But so far I haven't gotten through 28off so look is all I've done.

• Administrators
the 197 is a killer boat when it was released back in the day but by current standards those wakes are far less than great. Any of the current hulls are WAY better at all speeds.

• Baller

@gt2003 If memory serves, when you started off on this looking-for-a-boat journey your stated requirements were - 1) needs to have a sun deck for the GF, 2) needs to have a tower, 3) needs to be under $30K (or less, I don't recall exactly), 4) needs to have enough room to bring along the posse, 5) needs a good (or at least decent) slalom wake at slower speeds. Dude, you're all over the place now wanting ZO etc. So what exactly are your SET criteria?

If the above is pretty close IMO a 197 or 200 do not fit the bill and you're likely not gonna be happy with either. About the only things out there under $30K that will fit your earlier stated criteria are either an '03 - 06 RLXI or that Sunsetter LXI Lieutenant Dan posted in another thread. You really don't need ZO - nice to have but as others stated unless you intend to ski tournaments it's not (or at least shouldn't be) a deal breaker, PP will suffice just fine.

Not my intention to get after you here, just sticking my nose in a bit with the intention of trying to help you refocus. Define EXACTLY what you want and NEED the boat to do first and the answer will (or should) become self apparent. If you get more serious later and decide that you need a newer ZO equipped slalom course monster you'll have a good trade in and more information/experience to work from. Unless $$$ isn't an option, crawl before you walk, walk before you run. You DID ask for opinions...

Ed

@Ed_Obermeier , not hurting my feelings a bit. I'm here for good advice and realize my limited knowledge. So, input appreciated.

My requirement for ZO is its simplicity. Just talked to @skihard who told me I can upgrade the PerfectPass to a very carefree system as well. So, that takes ZO out as a necessity. I just didn't want to mess with crew weight and adjusting for timing discrepancies etc.

Requirements:

Fairly simple cruise control system that doesn't require frequent adjustments

Able to bring 1-2 others along periodically

Tower

Sundeck at least for 1

Decent slalom wake at 15-22 off, 30 mph

$32000 is gonna be top dollar that can be paid, preferably 28-29K

Thanks for hanging in there with me folks. Hopefully I'll find one quickly and this will be over with!

What are thoughts on what I might be able to get this boat for?

link

• Baller
your basically describing the Malibu lxi. just go with that. cant go wrong. PP does not require frequent adjustments unless you looking for dead on ABT everytime. just set it and forget. you wont notice the difference yet. I never adjust my classic other than crew and skier and it always in tolerance and feels great.

• Baller

From the pictures my concerns would be

1) Trailer looks rotted out and the eagle trailers are junkie compared to the Boatmates in my opinion

2) I'd want to know who made that tower

3) Kind of weird to have a power wedge and a door in the platform - maybe they made them that way but you typically only see the door for the manual and floating wedges

4) Judging by the scum line on the platform brackets and wedge it is a moored boat rather than one stored on a lift or trailer.

@oldjeep , I'm asking all of those questions now. I asked about the damage/rust on the fender and he said from a blowout? Not sure I believe that but we'll see.

It looks similar to the Titan 3's on the other Malibus but I asked.

Also asked if the platform and power wedge are standard.

If it comes down to it, I'll find someone in the area and ask them to take a look before I make the trip myself.

• Baller

I prefer the SN 200.... Luckily I get a lot of course time with a few of them, not mine unfortunately.

Don't rule out the SN 206. That was a stretch 196 with an open bow. Mine is a 2009 with the 343 and 'factory cruise'. It's basically an rpm lock, and gets your times pretty close. Very forgiving. So even though it is not the tournament pull, it has lots of room, great layout, good wake and just a fun lake boat. If you found a clean 2006 to 2009, maybe look. They stopped in 2010 when the 200 was introduced.

Both have stargazer and both are about the same distance away. @oldjeep, everything original on the black/gray one per the owner.

If anyone knows either of the 2008's, let me know what you think of them. (the one in Ohio, the other in Tennessee). Thanks

• Baller
Main thing is going to be how much risk you are willing to take in the purchase. The one in Tennessee could likely be water tested, the one in Ohio not so much. If you are not willing to purchase without a water test then I wouldn't waste the time of the guy in Ohio with questions since it'll be 3-4 months until it could be put back in the water or even started.

• Baller

@oldjeep it doesn't take that long to drain a engine block. If it has a heater and shower it would add a little time. If I was selling a 27K-30K boat you bet I run it in January for a serious buyer.

I bought my boat at the end of winter and after a test drive the seller showed me how to winterize it.