Cold water is slow or fast?

Horton

• Baller
Both acceleration and deceleration are lessened in colder (more viscous) water. Makes conditions more difficult to be wide/early with sensation of ample space and time. Slow water conditions lead to a sensation of hurried and late so "feels" fast.

• Supporting Member
@Horton Of course it is. The water is not moving at all, so calling it fast or slow is not a measure of the water's speed. It is a measure of something we feel. Anytime I refer to fast water, in any context, it's because I feel like I am building speed more easily and dropping it with more difficulty.

• Baller

I want a Panda too.

Does PBing deep into 35 off back when not so many did that count to reduce the implied irrelevance of my vote? Or are you really looking for changes at deep shortline?

@Than_Bogan Skiing into a current will give a clear definition of fast water. Down current and into the wind gave me PBs in the Delta. On the warm days.

Eric

• Supporting Member

@SkiJay The trouble is, there's another axis. If I use my usual meaning based on what I feel, then fast/slow refers to how easily I can get and drop speed. Soft/hard refers to how connected and secure I feel in the turn.

Yes, I have skied sites that are slow & soft and sites that are fast & hard. BUT I have also skied a few that are fast & soft (awesomesauce!) and few that are slow & hard (bummer).

• Baller

You missed an answer option: I have no idea, but I DO care. I find this stuff interesting. I hope science prevails.

All, @Horton asked us to ready the options carefully. This survey is NOT about feeling. The word "feel" was not present anywhere in the survey itself.

I just know that I suck less in warm water. There are probably more reasons why above the ankles than below them.

• Baller

This conversation just came up as we had a little earlier cool down (and quick) here in Fl. Seems like only a week ago we were skiing in 90 degree water, now right around 70. I feel like my gate glide is longer (needing an earlier pullout) and I am having trouble slowing down into the turns. That would suggest to me that I'm experiencing faster water.

I think its pretty much agreed that the ski doesn't ride as deep in the colder water as it does when its warm. To me it seems logical that as the ski rides deeper in the water, it has more drag and is slower, now as it sits higher in the water it has less drag and is faster. This effect could be positive or negative depending on the ski you're on. A faster/higher sitting ski could be a little out of control where as a deeper riding/slower ski may be more manageable and possibly preferable.

• Baller
My thoughts “theory” cold water as salt water is denser than warmer/fresh water and therefore a ski will accelerate more for a given load. I have 20 years of experience skiing in saltwater and it is unequivocally faster than freshwater. My perception of cold water could be influenced by being cold and stiff as well. Regardless I don’t like cold water!

• Baller
Cold water is different in Florida and Canada! Water tops out at 80 in the north and we ski water in the High 40's by end of season. 70 degree water feels faster then 85 water BUT once water is in the 55 range it is like sandpaper between ski and water and feels really slow and hard to get the ski to move. Let's define what temp is warm? 70, 80, 90? and what is Cold water 40's, 50's or 70's?

• Members

Fail from the get-go. You need to DEFINE "slow" and "fast". Without the meanings of those relative terms being agreed upon the poll results will mean nothing.

For the record, cold water is dense and sticky. So, it may feel "slow" because it's much harder for the tail to slip free ("smear"), making the turns have a much wider radius and therefore feel "slow".

BUT... that same reason it is harder to get a good angle out of the wakes, and the same physics that cause the turn to feel like driving a bus ALSO direct the ski more directly downcouse after the second wake - resulting in the sense of coming into the ball way too "fast".

Therefore, if you had a third poll choice of "BOTH", that's what I would choose.

• Baller

I look at faster as lower load for the same angle out of a buoy, and a longer/freer glide. Faster you'll over shoot your gate with a longer glide, and you'll have trouble slowing down into a turn. Slower will feel more load out of the ball, under shoot your gates, and ski narrow/have trouble getting cross course easily. (I can see how coming in narrow to the ball can "feel" fast when in actuality you were fast because you were slow getting across course and had to pull all the way to the ball.)

There are 2 elements of physics going on with water temperature and how it effects a ski moving through or across it. The higher viscosity of colder water will cause more resistance which would slow the speed down. However, the ski will ride higher in the water so less surface contacting the water resisting its movement. As the results of the poll show, there are different views on what everyone feels is going on.

Some variables: As I mentioned before, maybe a ski that already rides high in the water vs a ski the sits a little deeper. Generally the faster skis sit higher, while the slower skis ride a little deeper. Those skis would be effected different as the water temps change. And, as @jpattigr mentioned, different temps may be different in what aspects of temperature effects it more, thereby changing which of the 2 factors above have a stronger effect. The difference between 70 and 90 could be totally different than the difference between 70 and 50.

Just when you think you have things figured out, the temperatures change and its all new. One way or the other.

• Baller
@JackQ Salt water is definitely known to be more buoyant because of its higher viscosity, which will cause the ski to ride higher in the water compared to fresh water at the same temperature. It should also have similar effects of drag which would put it into the same debate as cold water I would think. Faster or slower? Looks like your vote is faster.

• Baller
I tested a ski maybe 15 years ago and seems like it was about 1 percent stiffer for each 10 degrees colder which is enough to feel in itself. I think viscosity is a much bigger factor in what we experience in cold water.

• Baller
I was having this discussion with somebody yesterday, and basically what happens is when it’s cold our bodies are more stiff if you did not warm up properly which makes it seem like it’s harder to move then makes everything feel faster because you’re not as agile as you would normally be. So do an experiment warm-up really well so if you’re limber then go ski cold water and see what happens.

• Baller

Basically what I have come up with in thinking about cold water, it always feels faster to me.

Your reaction time is slower, making it feel like things are happening faster. The water returns less energy to your ski making you cross more slowly, possibly making it feel slow to some? Crossing slower leaves you later for turns, shortening the time you have to do everything you need to do in a turn, making it feel rushed and faster. You are more likely to run out of speed before turning in, which should make it feel slower, but really it makes the boat start to pull you when you should be coasting without line tension, making it feel faster because you are getting pulled down course early when you aren't ready for it.

• Baller
@Jared that is a good explanation as to why this poll exists. Different people focus on different functions based upon where they are working on skills. Their focus means that the different aspects of the impact of the temperature are also in or out of focus. Interesting. I still don't care, tho.

• Baller
Some season's in the fall I feel cold water and some I don't, but when it gets noticeable it always feels like I'm narrow for no good reason. Gate was good, hookup was good, I should be outside the buoy line but I'm narrow. Like the drag on the ski has increased. My only trick is a little less wing angle, otherwise I'm not a fin tweaker guy.