Which new rope?

tbarile

• Baller
I'm in the market for a new rope for myself and one for my buddy who's boat we usually ski behind. We mostly free ski but will hit the course and run 15-22 off. Each of our ropes are 7+ years old so it's definitely time. With all of that being said, what mainline do you recommend? I've seen a lot of master line and U.S. Gear recommendations but wasn't sure if a $100 mainline is necessary for people with our ability. Thanks for your input.

• Baller

Then again, if cost is a big consideration, you can buy about 100' of proper ski line

material, about 10 cents/foot, and do-it-yourself. Some of the towline companies should

be willing to sell to you. If you don't need a lot of loops, you don't really need a multi-

colored line. $10 is a lot better than $100. You just need a bit of skill with a splicing fid,

or a buddy who can do it. Like back in the Olde Days. But, get the proper stuff, not

something you might find in bulk at Home Depot or Lowes.

Unless you have been taking special care of that old towline, such as keeping out of the

sun, and not getting chafing at loops, you are long overdue for it to break.

• Baller
Cost really isn't the big consideration here. I just don't want to pay for something that isn't necessary for my abilities. Is there a difference between ML, radar, in-tow, etc.. 5 section mainline for someone that doesn't tournament ski?

• Baller
@Edbrazil idea is great. And you have time to start a cool hobby before spring gets here. @matt_b is right with Masterline options. And, Brenda at In-tow Jlbmfg.com has options with fewer loops and the ropes are all great quality and made in New Mexico.

• Baller

Back in the back-when, around 1964, the AWSA was initially about the only source for towline material. This was the black and

white 8-strand stuff. It wasn't popular with skiers who were familiar with a more "dead" type of line, like polyethylene. The

product came in 1,000' spools, AND included a splicing fid.

• Administrators
@tbarile when you buy something like MasterLine the actual material is much higher quality. The stretch characteristics of rope is important for your joint health. If you ski very much I highly recommend you spend the extra money for the MasterLine.