More sensor technology for the future of skiing analysis

andjules

• Baller
For those that haven't seen it, Carv is a new kickstarter project for downhill skiers. The app strategy personally doesn't sound that appealing (the app shouts coaching advice at you and gives you drills, essentially roboticizing the instructor in real-time). However, the underlying technology is interesting: insoles with sensors, streaming data. Rather than just measuring roll and acceleration changes (like previous sensors you'd attach to your skis), it also measures & compares weight/pressure adjustments throughout the length of the foot (and differences between the feet). Not hard to imagine that this could be an excellent data-gathering strategy.

• Baller_
With all the Denali talk of getting your weight even between the balls of your feet (COM forward) and hard shell boot modifications, this would be interesting. I know for me shifting in this direction is making a positive impact on my skiing. Never before did I pay attention to the bottom of me feet to feel where the pressure is being applied. Now it's one of my top things having learned from the Adams of the importance. Would love to have had the data of my before style and the way I think I'm skiing now.

• Baller

There is a system like this for rowing that I wanted to try and bring across for skiing, but I did not think it picked up the data as accurately as it would be needed for skiing. Great stuff!! Hopefully we can find a way to bring this system over to skiing for some testing.

@Wish what changes did you make to your bindings to help you further along?

• Baller

@Mark_Matis I'm betting a bigger issue for Zero Off is trade secret. Giving all data opens up for much easier reverse engineering. I wouldn't consider giving up all my data, it's no stretch to figure out my logarithms and calculations if you've got my data. But I get what you're saying.

A big +1 to @Wish I put no thought into foot pressure until Adam Caldwell pointed out that my current reflex setup didn't allow me to get on the balls of my feet.

@andjules I think you're right that foot pressure sensors could be tremendous, especially if that data also tracks location on the course. It would be great visual data for world beaters to new course skiers, possibly even better for the newbies.

• Baller_

@MattP So 2 parts to my boots (and all others). 1. boot 2. cuff that hinges on the boot. My cuff is crazy ridged/stiff. Great lateral support. The boot design on mine has a good bit of plastic coming up into/inside of cuff. Great for recreational inline skating. So the cuff only came so far forwad before it pressed in on this tall portion of the boot in turn clamping to my ankle and making an almost stopping point just past 90 degrees. After that it took a good bit for force for cuff to travel further. Add a liner with a plastic tongue and it's just way to stiff. Felt great safety wise. Tossed the liners for all soft liners and cut the tall boot portion down below the cuff to the point that I can tap the back of the cuff with my finger and it flops all the way forward. I had to add stopping straps so I don't go past my ankles range but night and day difference. Been pretty much all in with the Adams when it comes to advice including boot mods. They've been right on the money with everything so far. So it would have been great to have this device to get a before and after of how much more pressure I'm applying to the balls of my feet. It's gotta be better then double.

Lots of pressure on balls of feet and tremendous ankle flex with COM way forward now..

jeafcwjh0rem.jpg

• Administrators
@Mark_Matis I am not very interested in the data that ZO could capture. I want to know what is happening the other end of the line. There are way to many things going on at the handle end for the boat end to be exciting. ZO may say heavy or light load but that gives me VERY little data about why.