D3 ARC

mcskier41

• Baller
Had the opportunity to demo the new ARC this week and have to say that I really enjoy this ski. I would describe it as balanced, stable, forgiving. Easy to create lots of space, so much that I wasn't ready for it and it kinda caught me off guard. The ski will turn hard, but I don't think it's necessary as if I can be more patient coming out of the turns, it will reward better results. Hope to give it a couple more runs before returning it to the pro shop but overall impressed with the ski so far and feel it definitely has high potential.

• Baller

I have two Arc's, a 65" for my wife and a 67" for myself, both currently on Goode NanoOne's. My wife typically runs 28 and a few at 32 during the season, but only has run 28 twice this year, 1st time on ARC she ran 2@32 off the dock, and said "sold" Yesterday she skies 2nd set and ran the same.

I had one set yesterday after running four sets at a tournament this weekend, ran 28. 32, 32,35,35 and 4@38. Felt consistent on both sides and solid, but need more time on ski to see if is "the one" for me, but I never felt as good on the Helix or other D3s as I did on the ARC.

• Baller

Been on the ARC for a total of about 10 sets in the past few weeks, coming off of a Q45, that I said I'd never sell. I've only skied a total of 20 sets this year, but after the tournament this past weekend, the Q45 is going on Ski It Again soon.

Main difference for me was increased ability to hold angle off the buoy and a little better at decelerating. Size for size, there's more surface area under the ARC than the Q45, which I assume accounts for the shallow stock fin setting and it's ability to slow down better.

It maintains typical D3 characteristics which I describe as 'difficult to fall off of' as it's very stable and doesn't do anything unexpected.

Looks like Nate is struggling on the new ski. And when I say struggling I mean not skiing at a 10 but maybe a 9.5. He seemed to be fighting the ski at Moomba and has some weird hiccups on his on-side at the last tournament where he lost against Winter. To me, he looked a lot smoother and consistent on his old ski.

@Horton Compared to the way Will was running his passes and the way I've seen Nate run passes at Moomba before, he looked to be fighting the ski. Time will tell. If Nate stays on the ski I don't see him winning as much as he did in the past. Just my opinion.

• Administrators
@303Skier We shall see. I am not ready to bet real money against Nate but there are also other factors. Asher and Freddie are both on fire right now.

@Horton for sure! I know the ARC is probably an amazing ski, D3 doesn't make crappy skis. Maybe Nate's back is hurt or has something else going on other than his ski? No matter what it's going to be a good year in pro skiing. I'm looking forward to seeing all the top guys battle it out.

• Baller

I skied on an H2 all last year and I just started skiing on an ARC-S. They're both good skis and I think it will come down to your skiing style/preferences in order to decide which one would be best. The H2 definitely rides higher in the water and is a faster ski than the ARC-S. When I was "on", I really liked my H2 and I had some great scores (for me) on that ski last year. When I was skiing well, I seemed to ski the course at a more constant speed and had less load on the line in general. I have also seen a bunch of my friends ski to personal bests on the H2. However, two bad habits I have are to rock back at the end of the turn and to pull a bit long (especially at the gates). When I started skiing bad and these bad habits crept into my skiing, it didn't mix too well with the H2. I ended up with a ton of speed coming into the turn and the tip coming up at the end of the turn.

The ARC-S rides deeper in the water and is a bit slower than my H2. So far I feel like I'm skiing smoother on the ARC-S and the tip is staying down in the turn better even when I rock back a bit. My wife even noticed from the dock that "my spray seems more consistent". I think that means that the ski is consistently staying down through the turn. At first I was skiing a bit narrower on the ARC-S, but after a few sets and some fin tweeking, I have all the width I need and I'm skiing really well. For me, I think the ARC-S is going to work better in the long run.

One other thing to note is that I'm 155 - 160 lbs and I always struggle to decide between a 65" or a 66" ski. My H2 was a 66" and that may be another factor as to why it felt fast to me. I'm riding a 66" ARC-S and I think the softer ski at a longer length is another reason it might be working well for me.

I'd suggest giving both of them a try if you can and deciding from there. If you ski at 34 and don't pull long, the H2 may help to give you added width. If you pull a bit long and/or like a bit more stable ski, the ARC may be the way to go.

• Baller
I skied 2 sets yesterday, first set on my H1, then put bindings and my fin into the Arc, first 2 passes felt a little weird but once I got my body position right I ran through 28,32,35 and 3@38 same as I had on the first set, very impressed and felt like I could and should have gone further. Was stable and predictable but still got that burst of speed I love in the H1. Have tried Quests and the H2 but liked and felt right at home on the Arc.

My daughter loved the H2 and I was skeptical that she'd want to move off it. She tried the Quest before the Helix and never did get comfortable on it. Tried the ARC S and on her 3rd set on the ski, ran 35 for the 2nd time ever. She describes the ski as feeling more stable then the H2. To me, it looks like she's generating more speed through the wakes and she's earlier - so everything looks more progressive. I also noticed that if/when she does get on her back foot at the finish of the turn, the ARC doesn't seem to punish this as much as the H2 did.

• Baller
@303Skier You sure? One of the guys I ski with here has spent a few days riding the new ARC, watching from the boat it turns really well on his offside. He liked it a lot but has since gone back to his GT and straight away picked up another 3-4 buoys. (deep -38 and into -39 36mph) it was only a few sets with minimal tuning so I don't think you can read too much into it.

• Baller

@Jordan I rode a 67" ARC for about 4 weeks and did very well on it...by far my favorite D3 ski. I switched to the S version a week ago and I'm going to stick with that ski for a while. Regarding the difference, I didn't notice any change in speed behind the boat, only in the turn, and mostly at the finish of the turn. As you'd expect, it feels like it gives a bit more and I had in increase sense of control at the finish of the turn. It sets in very nicely.

I'm 165 lbs and prefer to ride a larger ski, so it makes sense considering I'm at the lower end of the weight range for the ski. If your considering the ski, keep the weight ranges in mind and your personal skiing characteristics.

I came off the Quest 45 and found transitioning to the ARC very easy. I used same numbers for everything, with the exception of less depth on the ARC.

FWIW, I tried the H2. My skiing style did not suit the H2 so I would suspect those on the H2 would have a slightly longer transition time.

Regarding Nate, or any athlete for that matter, changing equipment takes time. The more you're in-tune with your equipment, the longer it will take to transition. When it's time to compete, you go with what you know best and he's been on the Quest quite some time. I know he likes the ARC, but difficult to find time to figure it out mid season.

@Higleyskier he was on his Quest at Swiss.

@Drago no rumors, FACT!

I'm not saying the ski is garbage or anything, I haven't even skied it. All I'm saying is Nate had to work a lot harder on the ARC. You can see it when you watch videos of him. Will he go back to the ARC? Probably but it takes time to tune a ski. I hope he finds success on it.

That is a pretty bold statement to make @mcskier41. This is an open forum to debate and discuss topics from all varieties related to skiing. If I hear that the CC promo program is being cut and it comes directly from a CC retailer, damn right I'll say something.

Also whatever ski Nate was on at Swiss, we all know it wasn't an ARC and speculations and rumor (not mine) that is wasn't a Quest (Quest graphic ski). See the image below from Swiss this weekend.

ktthb1sxxh8t.png

• Administrators
@303Skier & @mcskier41 I am never 100% sure when readers are joking or are really unhappy with each other so just in case - let me remind both of you that BallOfSpray is a "Drama Free Zone".

• Administrators
Thanks for saying so @mcskier41. I hope everybody understands that this website is a success because I keep it (somewhat / mostly) on topic and low drama. The best posts are smart questions or smart answers.

• Administrators

@Drago Understood. I just have to stay on top of it. The intertubes are a funny place. People get bent way out of shape for no reason all the time.

Also please understand that I encourage everyone to abuse @eleeski. I am more than happy to share.

I am trying out a 65 ARC S now. I have been on a soft flex Quest since 2013 (my favorite ski ever). Getting the ARC set up took me a while, and it is now feeling pretty good, but not quite as good as my Quest. It is slightly faster and stable, but isn't turning as well. I am waiting until we have warmer water in Virginia (it is now 75) to decide on it since I know softer skis don't love cool water. Be prepared to try some different settings (especially binding placement) if it doesn't feel good right away.