D3 ARC

mcskier41

Thank you @waterskigirl for those settings. That is very different from stock. I have been at 6.935, 2.450, and .750 which is closer to stock, but just not feeing great. I feel late everywhere, and weak in the turns. Sounds like everyone really loves this ski, so will try some more settings. I went back on my Quest last week but plan to give the ARC S another try.

• Administrators
Larson rode yellow 66 today. Looked really good. He screwed up his gate and almost ran 39 anyway. The ski just stayed with him. I am looking forward to riding these skis.

I have had the chance to spend some time on the D3 ARC 67" Blue ski. This ski is for what ever reason a "silent sleeper", not many are talking about how easy this ski really is. Nick Parsons has been helping me with set up which is different than the website numbers. Here is what Nick has been working with and the ski came alive for me with these settings

29 7/8, 6.975, 2.461, .760 , and 9 degrees

I tried stock first but you guys really need to give this ski a ride with these numbers....It won't disappoint you!!!

• Baller

I made the mistake of buying a 67 Quest 45 that I guy was selling too cheap for me to pass. I skied two sets on it and I sold my old ski.

I'm looking forward to demoing an Arc. I'm at the upper end of the weight range (190-ish) for a 67 and running it at 34 mph and PB'ing (practice) over and over.

I'm looking for a 68 Quest 45 to compare with the 67 as well. Anyone have one?

With the above at -22 and -28, mostly, what do you guys think I should try with the Arc? 67, 68, Arc or Arc S? With wanting to throw in the 68 Quest 45 to try, I'm just really not thinking trying 5 skis would be much more than a ball of confusion.

• Administrators

@aupatking I have not skied it yet but have watch a number of skiers ride the ARC. The darn thing looks good. I believe it may be the best D3 to date.

I would think the Yellow ARC would be the right ski if you are at the top of the weight range.

I am 182.5 this morning and expect to like the ARC-S better. My theory (not everyone agrees) is that softer skis are a little more finicky but have a higher potential and vise versa. I have both so I will try to compare and contrast when I start the review in about 4 weeks.

@SunTenAgain I also had the same experience that stock (or close to it) was no good for me. I tried the 65 ARC S again this week with 6.976 2.50 and .756, wing 7, and front Reflex boot at 28.75. It was an entirely different ski. Instead of being late everywhere, I was early and much more stable. The setting difference from stock is huge, and honestly, not intuitive based on what I was originally feeling. I was on a 2013 Quest (soft flex) before, which I have loved.

I would say that this seems to be an awesome ski, if you are willing to try different settings for a while. Thanks to @waterskigirl for offering such a great option!

• Baller

I just Demo'd the 67" Arc-S and after a boot adjustment slightly forward I ran her into 35 off. I can run 32 off a lot but definitely not every pass and I usually only get 1 or 2 at 35. I've run 35 off twice....ever. Coming off a Nano One XT. D3 sent the demo to a friend based on his style and size. I'm around 175 and wondering if the standard would be better for me. But I gotta say I loved it. Off side just felt good and the ski wanted to edge change a LOT more than my NO XT. I set it to @SunTenAgain numbers and obviously loved it!! Thank you for sharing your set up. Anyone have anymore thoughts on this ski??

• Baller
Ski'd the 67 Arc-S again tonight and it felt incredibly good. The crazy thing is I'm not tired. I ran and EASY 32 and now I'm afraid for my wallet. Tip stays down if you ride it right (coming off an XT I definitely know what that means). I'm guilty of pulling too long and feel that this ski could help me dial it back a bit and still cast out wide and early. I am begging myself to not give up the handle as I always do....which I just can't shake on the XT. Is it wrong to feel like a stable ski such as this can actually help you correct some ski "form" issues better than others??? Need more time on it but the darn thing has me thinking.

• Baller

Vapor is a way better ski all around.

I skied the arc 68 for 6 sets or so and the vapor only one set.

It needs some tweaking but over all

Vapor is way faster cross course turns better. Maybe a hair less stable but not enough to matter.

• Baller

I've been on the ARC for about 3 weeks. Like all D3 skis I have tried I was comfortable riding it from the first set. It turns awesome for me and gets me earlier consistently across course. My percentage at -35 is higher on this ski, and although I haven't conquered -38 yet, I'm getting more attempts at it than on any other ski I've tried.

The Helix H2 worked really well for me too, but the ARC turns more consistently in my opinion. Prior to the H2 I was on the Vapor (green). I think my best on all 3 skis was close to the same, but I couldn't get consistency on the Green vapor. My old bag of tricks just didn't work on that ski, so I wasn't able to scramble back into passes after a mistake.

I'm running stock settings and binding position so far, although I had my from binder loosen up and go way forward on me at one point. Ski felt far less smooth, but I ran right up into 38, fixed it between sets and did the same in my second set (felt much better though) after a binding move of 1/2" or more. Great reminder to check my gear more often, but also how forgiving D3's are for me.

• Baller

After getting comfortable on a 66" ARC-S, I've switch to a 67" to see if that will be a better lenght for me. I'm 170lbs +/- 5lbs. I set the 67" to @SunTenAgain numbers and have two short sets on it. I've noticed that I'm having a hard time getting the ski to come around on 1,3 &5 (I'm LFF). Feels like I'm really riding my back foot. 2,4 hasn't had that issue.

I'm wondering if this is an indication that the ski might be too long or if I need to adjust the binding or fin. Or, should I just be patient and get a few more sets in before making any changes?

• Baller

@Drago, I decided to be patient and skied better this morning. Ran my first 28off @34 of the year with a little help from a headwind.

My dft is .76 right now. Wondering why you are suggesting I move it back instead of forward?

• Baller

ARC-s 68, 28/32 coming off older Quest, definitely takes time to dial in even for D3er. Definitely wants you to engage tip thru the turn. But after some time on it, really love this ski. More confident, stronger cut, notably stable behind the boat, never OTF, faster than quest, and turns hard and progressive with COM in right place. Suggest give it good bit of time before making judgement on this ski. Just perspective from lower level but enthusiastic participant.

6.965 .760 2.455 (factory tip 6.930 may not be enough)