Helix H2 vs Quest 45

FrankS

Hey Ballers,

I am a collegiate skier looking to get on a new ski and I am going back and forth between a D3 Helix H2 and a Quest 45 that I found on SIA. Currently I can run the course at 30 and 32 mph -15 and I am hoping to put in some work and improve this summer. I am currently skiing on my dad's old HO system 8. If any of you have ridden either or both of these skis and could give me some pros/cons it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Frank

• Baller

2 different skis. Simplest way of defining them is that H2 is a faster ski, riding higher in the water. Quest rides deeper, more of a carver but a tad slower. Young guys @ 36 and really shortline old guys @ 34 tend to like more the quest. Longer line skiers @ 34 tend to like more the Helix 2.

But this is not by any means something written in stone. Some might have a different opinion.

• Baller

Helix 2, more aggressive and faster. Grabbed angle very early.

Q45 is much more stable and a bit slower, but is not considered a slow ski. Turns are super smooth.

Helix 1, in my and a few other skiers opinion, was more similar to the Q45 than the Helix 2. Had stability near the Q45, but was a bit quicker. Still one of my favorites.

• Baller
I second ral, I been skiing on the H2 for about a year fast, very predictable can push it and not find your self in trouble but all D3 skies are like that. I did try the Q45 just liked the H2 better I ski -22, -28 see ral is dead on. H1 is faster but like the H2 goes to show you must demo skies

I think either would be a good choice. I am currently on a Q45 and absolutely love it. 15-22 at 36mph right now and flirting with 6 ball at 22. I haven't skied a H2 but, the Q45 was a huge improvement for me over the A3 I had. The ski is extremely predictable and stable as mentioned through the entire course. Moves out from the wakes very nice and into the turn very good. It does have an arch turn, but can be turned very quick if needed. Holds edge very good and is as fast as anyone would need imo.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that if you feel like you are slightly uncomfortable through the course then the Q45 might be the better choice because it will for sure add stability and confidence to your skiing. It won't punish you for making a mistake.

But I also 100% agree with @TEL for demo'ing skis. Everyone is different so you may not feel the same about either ski as we do. I know that is tough when buying on SIA. Trying to find a skier or shop near by that has either ski would be very beneficial though.

• Baller
D3 may still offer an excellent demo program, try a ski for 10 days for the shipping cost and then return it, try the next one for 10 days and so on. Considering the price of new skis, you want to be sure it is right for you before you plunk down all your spare change on one......