suggestions on boat lifts

rodltg2

• Baller
looking to get one in near future. suggestions on which one and where to buy. looking for economy but not crap. stand alone type. would need to possibly accommodate various ski boats in case of upgrade to new boat

• Baller
We just built our own using some steel I got from a local supplier. With that said - if it is in your budget I would just buy one from a reputable dealer. (with the time my Father In-Law put in to building it - it probably wasn't worth the time) The initial outlay of money will be tough, but you'll soon forget that by the time you start using it!

• Baller
When you say Standalone, are you talking about a floating lift, or a lift that sits on the bottom? Most of the floating, "standalone" or "side mount" lifts here in Discovery Bay re Hydro-Hoist (opposed to center mount lifts which bolt to the dock on each side of the slip). I used to own a Hydro-hoist, side-mount, and it worked well. Poly Lift makes a very sturdy lift. The dealer is out of Napa. Not sure if they have a side mount, however. I've also seen a number of Econo Lifts in DB, but, once again, I'm not sure if they make a side mount. There is a used-market, usually about half of retail in our area.

• Baller

I have a been very happy with my ShoreMaster vertical 4K lb lift, well made and good support. replaced one cable in 12 years. They are out of MN I believe, something good actually does come out of that state. (Sorry MS couldn't resist!)

• Baller

What part of the country do you live in? if you're in the north, you'll want an aluminum lift for pulling it out each year.

Do you have power at the dock? powered lifts are the way to go, whether it's battery+solar or shore power.

You'll have to decide between vertical and cantilever lift style. In my limited it experience, the verticals are heavier than cantilever so take more people to put in and out. Vertical lift has more vertical travel, I can get my boat on a vertical lift tucked nicely up under the canopy, not sure that'd be possible with cantilever.

• Baller
Time to do a little googling on your local dock places. If you are not handy then you want someone local who can install and service it. Putting one together isn't a real big deal, but if bindings are giving you trouble then best left to the pros ;)

• Baller
we have a "community" dock of about 6 guys. We install and remove 6 lifts every year and I have saw about every brand there is with the exception of floe (which I think are very nice) I run a shoremaster 5000lb 12v wireless and love it, light/strong construction easy to handle. Shorestation are really nice but def a bit heavier, with the electric over hydraulic they are outstanding. Hewitts are nice but extremely heavy which makes them hard to handle. I would highly suggest vertical over a cantilever. We float these lifts probably close to 1/8 mile every year to install them and we use the floe "float and roll" system to do so.

• Baller

@rodltg2 I was in your position last year and posted here for advice (you can search for "boat hoist recommendation" and find the thread....I would have provided a link but don't know how to do short links and am afraid of @horton's wrath ;) ) anyway i got a lot of great feedback and ended up with a Sunstream hydraulic cantilever lift and couldn't be happier (pretty much the same thing as the Basta unit). I found it used with only a couple of seasons of use on it.

I was intrigued by the idea of the cantilever style as when they are in the up position all the load is on the structure and they are not reliant upon cables which can wear and have to be replaced periodically.

If you are looking for a less costly option I would still recommend a manual cantilever style like the Hewitt unit (or whatever is available in your area)

One caveat about the cantilever style is its fixed range of motion and if your lake level fluctuates greatly you may be better served by a vertical style lift.

My $.02, I hope this helps

• Baller

+1 for Basta Basta Lifts

I had a Basta at my lake in WA and that thing was perfect. Sold it when I moved to FL to neighbor. Really like the cantilever design, no to cables to break, and easily powered by a battery and solar panel. If it were to fail, don't see that happening, the boat flops back into the water at an angle, doesn't fall straight down.

Have a couple friends with Shorestation but not as nice and lots of stuff around the boat. Cantilever hydraulic lifts are tucked nicely all under the boat.

I got the same design RGC for here in Florida, was a little cheaper and cheaper shipping as from NY instead of WA. Well built frame but not nearly as well done for hydraulics. Within a year had to replace all hydraulic cables (got them warrantied) and one cylinder (not warranty but should have been).

The Basta is just a cleaner, more elegant, simpler design with higher quality parts and execution. If I were to ever have to get a new one it would be a Basta in a heartbeat.35hpuoppiasj.jpg

d1wimxefkljd.jpg

• Baller

Rod,

Talk to you neighbor Sean, he is a Hewitt dealer (or at least was). I have one from summit marine, very good lift (3 of us now have them here). I like the reverse ram feature so it is closed when in the up position so you reduce pitting/leaks on the ram.

• Baller
I am now on my 2nd Craftlander vertical 45120 and very happy with it. Easy to assemble, solid build, works great. Built in Michigan, but I was able to have it factory drop shipped to Georgia through same Michigan dealer I bought my first Craftlander from when I lived up north. Google craftlander, then check it out. If you need dealer contact, let me know.

• Baller
I'm a huge fan of Sunstream lifts. We have one that has been in the lake since 97 with zero issues. I bought another one used on Craigslist for our ski pond a few years back. They are pretty pricey new, but if you can find a decent used one my experience is they last forever.

Are you looking for a vertical or a cantilever style? I was in your shoes late last season when my old hoist took a crap on my. I searched and found that what @oldjeep suggested is a good idea. Find out what's locally available and go from there. I looked at shorestation, shoremaster, hewlit, floe, max, and lakeshore as most are readily available in my area. I ended up getting the max. http://maxdock.com/vert_5000.php The reason I did this was that it's made locally, the extrusions seemed thicker than those of the competitors, the assembly seemed easy (have not yet assembled it), and maintenance of the pullies seems very easy. All moving parts have grease fittings and the pullies can be removed without have to partially or completely disassemble the cradle. Then, there was the cost component. I was getting more for my dollar with this hoist than the others. I ended up getting a powered hoist because I have a 120V beach circuit at my house that only has one receptacle on it, so it made sense to do that over the solar option.

• Baller
I have owned and sold lifts over the years including Shoremaster, Harbormaster, and Nyman waterlifts. I now own a Floe. I have to remove mine in fall before ice comes or it would get ruined. The screw jack legs are a big plus for me. Something to consider if lake level changes over the year. Mine is a VSD 24 volt. Super quiet and with a solar charger runs all summer without needing to charge the batteries. Floe has the best canopy of all I have seen. Boat is tucked up under canopy even with Bimini up. Floe is a little pricey, but well worth the investment. All aluminum with vinyl coated bunks. Shoremaster would be a good second choice. I launch and remove mine using a crank up pontoon trailer.

• Baller
I have had positive experience with two RGC lifts i have owned, my current one I bought used over 10 years ago. Others on my lake have had mixed results with other brands for a variety of reasons. The RGC dealer in my area is the strongest lift/dock dealer in my region. I think any quality aluminum vertical lift should meet your needs.

• Baller

I've had two porta dock lifts with a boat on each since 2002. One on original cable, the other replaced once.

I like the canopy style as I can nearly make my boat disappear at top of travel for protection from the elements. Also negates the parachute effect in a big storm with boat up there disrupting airflow.

• Baller

I have a hydrohoist in Carlsbad Lagoon. I got it used from a neighbor already set up for a 1999 Malibu Response LX for $3,500. New they are $ 6,500 plus. Best bet is to find a used one on Craigslist. They are like owning a second boat, things need to be repaired. This one had lots of things replaced before I bought it. I have replaced 4 valves. Works great. It would run on a small Honda generator or a 12 volt solar conversion.

I think you are better off with the cantilever attached to the bottom unless your lake depth varies then the floating version can move with your dock.

• Baller
@Commuterfisher makes a good point. If your water never freezes and your lake level only fluctuates 6" or so during the time you have your boat on the lift I would go with a cantilever design from a reputable company. Even comparing a vertical versus cantilever from the same manufacturer they are just a more robust design. Weight supported on beams rather than cables is just simpler. I wish I could have gone cantilever.

• Baller
I assembled my Basta and my RGC and I am not a mechanic/shop guy. Literally a big erector set. Very simple and straight forward. Make sure to use the anti-seize and don't over torque. Borrow a buddy's torque wrench, or better yet borrow a buddy with a torque wrench. The way Basta does the hydraulic hoses theirs is super simple.

• Baller
I have had the same Shorestation vertical lift since 1985. We had some problems at the beginning, but was corrected when we installed all stainless steel cables(they were double the money, and not standard at the time). The water was very muddy which caused them to corrode and break. In 2007 my dad and I installed a new drum in the winch box increasing its capacity from 2600 pounds to 3500 pounds and changed out all the pulleys. It has 4 cables. 2 leveling cables, a lifting cable, and a winch cable. With all the use I usually change the winch cable every 5 years. I would buy another Shorestation, but a cantilever style mainly for only one cable to change out when needed. No complaints on my present lift.

• Baller
I have a Hewitt cantilever. Aluminum frame, stainless and brass hardware. It is fantastic. Light, easy to crank (yes hand crank). I did not mount a canopy and just use the mooring cover on the boat. It is a clean look from shore. I also connected the front and rear foot pads with 2x10 pressure treated runners. Fabbed up some aluminum ski tips and attached to the 2x10s with carriage bolts. It looks like a sleigh and goes in and out of the water like a breeze. I'll look around for some pictures if anyone is interested.

• Baller
@paul I have the wheel kit on my shorestation. They work pretty well. Me and a few friends tie a rope to the lift and pull it in by hand. And when we put it back in we use the boat to pull it back in. Just have to make sure water is deep enough where lift sits to extend legs or you will have to take the wheels off.