Knees Again ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

What is the prognosis of getting back to slalom skiing, after Full/Total Knee Replacement, not partial but Full ?

I appreciate that this has been asked before, taking a punt that somebody may know somebody or have more experiences they can share. having trouble making the decision, to go for it !

I am looking at the iTotal by Conformis Custom Knee Implant.

• Baller

My wife had a full knee replacement on her right knee 5 years ago.

At that time the surgeon wanted her to wait a full year before skiing again.

The wife did all required therapy and more, waited the year and has had no issues skiing.

She is scheduled to have her left knee replaced in October so not for sure what surgeon will say full recovery for skiing is this time.

Note: My wife no longer skies the course and skies on two skies due to her left knee is quite painful at this time. But she still loves to get out there and take cuts behind the boat and has been driving the course since 1978. Everyone in the club loves her driving skills.

Due to she is a great boat driver I told her I would keep her as long as I could get parts to keep her going and she does not make too much noise.

Hope all goes well with your knee replacement.

oldmanskier

• Baller
I have a friend that had both knees replaced at the same time. Wake crossings hurt, so he stuck to 28-off, sometimes starting slower. Ran mid-35's in his prime. Been 10 years maybe, still skis 2wice a week and still loving it.

• Baller
Thanks for replies, what is the difference between snow skiing and water skiing regards knees, I know a lot of people who snow ski with TKR with no problems, they must spend a good few hours on the slopes during a week, I worked out that I probably spend about five hours a year in the slalom course.

.... broke my knee (joint broken, legements, ect.....).... happend in summer (july)... during waterskiing !

6 months rehabilitation: back skiing the next year April.

Took a full year to get it stable again for skiing.

A few years later I ran my personal best......

Only thing I avoid: rough water, jumping and trick-skiing.

Slalom is perfect: knees are more or less locked (i use double bindings) and just flex up and down.

Not realy the same as a new one but to give you some feedback.

But would not worry too much ........friend of mine has a new hip (skiing again as well).

p.s. also stopped playing tennis/squash: too much frictions/short turns: really bad for the knees.

• Baller
Had one knee done in March of 2014 and was waterskiing in June. Had the second knee done in March of 2015 and was waterskiing in June and snow skied approx. 60 days last season. Even did a little beer-league racing. Make sure you get a good doctor who has a lot of experience with knee replacements and understands what your goals are. I was lucky enough to find one that is a slalom skier himself and could relate to the sport. His comment before I had the first one done was - if I could ski before, I should be able to ski after. You have to put the time in and do all the PT, but after having them both done, I have to say that he gave me my life back!