when is it time for a ski upgrade?

h2onhk

• Baller

Quick background: 34mph, 148lbs, 5'9" tall, RFF skier. Current ski is a 64" 1996? KD7000 that i bought used 10 years ago. I verified fin set up is still factory set and binding position is in the middle hole. 15off and 22off passes are solid, 28off passes are hit and miss and I occasionally catch my self breaking at the waist, not getting stacked soon enough, etc. I ran a full 32off pass last year (not gonna lie, pulled it out of my butt), but typically only get 1 to 3 balls when i get into 32. I have spent a lot of time on this forum and reading about GUT and other tips/techniques. I'm not a hard core tournament skier, but I love chasing a personal best and constantly improving. I understand I need to continue to focus on my technique first and foremost, but would changing skis aid in advancement? Also prefer to buy used to help stay in my budget. I know you guys/gals like video to help illustrate and I'll see if I can dig some up from last season. Any advice is welcome and I take all criticism constructively. Thanks!

• Baller
Although the KD7000 was a top of the line ski 20 years ago, ski technology has vastly improved since then. If you are getting into 32 on a 20 year old ski, a more current ski will definitely up your buoy count. I would recommend going on Ski It Again and buying a newer model used ski. Almost any higher end ski made in the last 10 years will be a big upgrade, and you have many options in the $500 range.

• Baller
One of my ski buddies had on those and picked up a used radar strada and started skiing better right away. If you don't want to buy new you should be able to get a ski a year or 2 old for 5 to 6 hundred range. I've got a 2015 Vapor that I'd sell for 500 but its a 67" and would probably be too big. I'd highly recommend a 2015 Vapor if you can find one. Probably a 66". I've gone to a 2016 Vapor and it looks to be a keeper. I skied on Mapple 6.0 for a while it was nice, the vapor was just a little more forgiving.

• Baller
You may not be a hard core tournament skier now, but once you are on a newer ski your confidence and most importantly your buoy count is going to go up. Not even a question if you can run 28 you absolutely need to get on a newer ski. I agree with what everyone has already said - ski-it-again will have some great deals on great newer used skis. In comparison to today's skis you are driving a 1990 Pontiac with a cassette tape stereo and roll down windows.

• Baller

To answer your question

http://www.ski-it-again.com

A lot like you, I started a few years back reading the forum & getting my head back into it, and got up to the point where I had hit-and-miss -28s, and stuck at a couple at -32.

In early 2013, I ditched my KD7000 and picked up a used S2 on ski-it-again. Picked up about a few buoys, but just as importantly, I found it so much less work being on a modern ski.

• Baller
Sounds like the concensus is upgrading skis will help along with technique practice. I have been browsing though Ski it Again over the last several weeks just seeing whats out there. Lots of options for sure. I've read a lot of the ski reviews on waterski mag and other sites. I hesitate buying not knowing what would be the right size, style, etc. Lots to consider. Am I over thinking it? I don't have the luxury of a large ski crew with lots of skis to demo. My dad still runs the course with a 1978 Connelly shortline!

• Baller

So based on my size I'm assuming most newer skis 64"-66" would be ok? Understanding that a 64" may be on the small side and a 66" would be pushing the high side? I can shove my 64 around the turn pretty well right now. probably not the best technique at times.

@skibrain what do you consider a "high performance hard to ride ski"?

• Baller
I started skiing the course seriously 1 year and half ago with a old O'Brien Mapple at 15off and last november I went to Mapple T2. I went from 30mph to 34mph in 6 sets. The change was so amazing. No hesitation, go for the change and you will have a big smile on your face !

• Baller

if/when I get this newer new-to-me ski i'm gonna have to put a piece of tape on the nose that says "stupid hurts", because I know whats going happen on my first set when I go shooting down through the course thinking i'm super man......

or maybe "get milk".....I guess thats popular with the pros

• Baller
now that you guys got me all geeked up about a newer ski I found a couple great deals on a 2011 65" Radar Strada and a 2010 65" HO Syndicate S1. From what I read the Radar is more of a pro level 36mph ski and the HO S1 was built more for a 34mph rider. Any thoughts?

• Baller
I'm a 34mph skier and skied on the grey strada for several years. Nice ski but I like the Vapors better. I'd recommend going with the size that is recommended for your weight it will turn just fine. Don't know anything about the S1

• Baller
In case h2o.nhk does not want the ski... would this ski work for my girlfriend, she is currently skiing on a Radar P6 65", she weights 136 pounds and 5 foot 7" tall... would this ski work for her... she currently is skiing at 30 mph, but did a PB of 4 at 32 mph....she feels the P6 is holding her a bit back what do you think?

• Baller
@JuanJ The P6 is nice for what it is, but it's not in the performance range of an X5 or the like. My niece rides a P6, and I tested it out just for fun. Nice intermediate ride, but nothing like a carbon fiber, high-end stick.