Which Boots?

skibumm

I am ready for the laughter and ridicule, but I am getting a new ski. I am currently on a KD CR7 (yea I know very old). I consistently run 28 off and hit 32 50% of the time. I am 51 so I ski at 34 mph. I am going with the vapor but am not sure on what boots/bindings to get. I am currently on the stock rubber KD bindings. Not sure if I should go with the Vapor, Profile, or even the Vector. I am going to give the HRT a try (currently in double boots) as I think it is a good blend of performance and safety. Looking for opinions on the various model of boots.

• Baller

I ski at a low level but this is my experience fwiw.

Have used dbl Vectors a few years.

Very comfortable.

A bit soft.

A bit limited stiffness side to side.

Expand greatly so I used socks in cold water. Up to 3 mm.

Now I am on dbl profile boots.

Also very comfortable.

Much better side to side support.

A bit higher than the Vectors which I like.

Expand a bit. Can barely have thin socks for a short set.

Like them a lot.

Tried Vapors in the shop.

They where way to narrow for my feets even without liners.

So not an alternative for me.

Best luck!

• Baller

The point made by Chef23 is a sound one. I only changed bindings and went from rubber to Reflex back to Radar Vapor. I am sure you will be fine with the front Vapor binding. Up to you whether you go with the HRT or RTP. Although I have kept the stiffeners in the sides, I recall Horton suggesting that you should take them out. I have a very deep measurement from my heel to the top of my foot and found the bindings came up very small. There is plenty of other discussions on this forum about whether to go up a size. For my part, definitely. That said, after only three or so sets I had confidence in the binding and at no point has it felt too large.

Happy skiing.

• Baller
Went from long time Wileys double boots to Radar RS-1's in 2009. Transition was easy in a couple of sets on my old ski. 4 years later went up one size larger in 2013 Strada double boots. Try the Vapor boots on your old ski if you can for a couple of sets, then add in your Vapor ski and you will be rocking it. Ski buddy moved from Wileys to 2016 Vapor boots (take out stiffeners) and is loving them.

• Baller
@skibumm Get the vapor boots now and ski on them several sets to get used to them. Then, get the Vapor ski and place your now used vapor boots on the new ski. This is how I transitioned to the vapors and a new ski 5+ years ago.