How long should a good ski vest last?

• Baller

Alright I'm getting pretty feed up with my life vests disintegrating after only 1 year of use (see pics below). I only ski 5 months out of the year, 3-4 days a week in season, and my vest is always stored hanging up and out of the sun. My last 3 vests conveniently have fallen apart 2 weeks past the 1 year warranty. My most recent vest was a Connelly, the 2 before that were O'Neill. The rubber like material around the neck just molts and makes a mess out of my shoulders and the upholstery of my boat.

So is it just me or is this the way of manufacturers making us by new $150 vest every year? I still have vest from 20 years ago that are in better shape than the last 3 high end vests I have bought.

How long should I expect a vest to last? What brand is good these days? (I won't buy another O'Neill after the way their customer service treated me)

bw18b0zzv630.jpeg

hgjpnoxy5o91.jpeg

• Baller
Key word in the thread title "good". I don't think they don't make them like they used, so using that qualification are there any "good" anymore. I've got a couple of old StraightLine Ultra that are over 15 years old and I'm still using them. I still say if someone could get the rights or this far along just copy them they could sell thousands of 'em. I scooped up a used one from @Roger back in '09 that I'm happily using. I think @Roger said it did shrink however!

• Baller_
Straightline Ultra vest going on 5 or 6 years now...maybe more. I ski yr round and often. I do not hang it up, I lean it standing up in a plastic chair and it stays out of the sun. I see it lasting another 2-3 yrs. Why this is not made anymore is beyond me other then they would not sell them yr after yr to the same skier. O'brien made that same kind as well which I used for yrs. The Goode PV (just the vest) is very similar. Super light, never holds water, flexible enough and you feel like you have some protection on vs the wetsuit style now a days. I think if brought back, a crap ton would be sold as mentioned above.

• Baller

I'm with @Wish Still wearing my Straightline Ultra vest that has to be 10 years old or more. I take care of it like a $200K sportscar, because I know I can't replace it.

Come on @Eddie Roberts give us a non-water absorbing vest option!! Me and Wish will sign up today! Thin and lightweight, with straps and covers your front (even longer fronts of us full-figure guys).. :)

AB

• Baller
I've had great luck with Oneill. I'm on my third one in 16 years. Older ones were replaced because they started looking rough. I still keep them around for guests as they are perfectly functional. Sorry to hear you had trouble with customer service.

• Baller
Like @Wish and @A_B I'll buy a StraightLine Ultra clone tomorrow if someone starts marketing one. And I know of at least three other skiers that immediately come to mind who would do the same.

• Baller_
I have a Liquid Force Cardigan that is 6 years old, another that is 3 and another 1. All are top quality and have shown little wear. I upgraded from the 5 year old vest due to the new ones are lighter. IMO they are the best out there and you can get them for under 80 if you shop around.

• Baller
I have two(neo USCG approved( of them one an old Ski Warm, and Connelly that I have had for 7 years. The Ski Warm is 10+ years. Still in good condition. They only get used when a drysuit or wetsuit is not needed. I have a regular nylon vest I wear over those since it is lighter in weight. I just keep them out of the sun when not in use. Can't use the thin slalom vests they make now since they are not legal in PA.

• Baller

@Blueski I know your question was meant to be funny but I had to give that scenario serious consideration. I ski on Ford lake in SE MI which used to be Henry Fords dumping grounds. It's since been cleaned up and is a really nice lake. I wear the same sunscreen as everyone else, and this issue has only been with my new life vests in the last 3 years. All of my old gear, including wetsuits are holding up just fine.

@OldboyII that suggestion made me laugh as I am bald. It might be an issue for others though.

I noticed a common thread between all of the vests mention by others that are holding up well. None of them have the smooth rubber-like skin that has been the issue with my last 3 vests. So I went out today and bought a Radar Vapor vest. I hope this one holds up for a while.

• Baller
@Msuwaterskier, yea, the first part was tongue in cheek, but not the second part. I used to ski a river in college. One time my feet burned for three days after whatever was in the water mixed with my rubber bindings (true story). Similarly, my wife slathers the kids in sunscreen, which is good, and my son's vest that has the same rubber was essentially eaten away after a couple of summers.

• Baller
Still wearing the same O'Neill Boost for over 10 years. Would like to buy a used one from someone since nothing else seems to last as long. Please let me know if anyone has a Large size in their closet that they would like to sell that has low miles on it.

• Baller

@MattP @MrJones @Chef23

How well do your Eagle vests float you after all this time? Flotation has always been my biggest problem with my comp vests. When new, they all typically float me to my eyes with all the air out of my lungs. After about 1-1.5 years, they don't float worth a crap anymore and I sink if I let all of my air out. I've never dropped the coin on an Eagle vest because I'm fearful of spending that much money for the same results.

All my Radar comp vests have lasted a year max before all the flotation was gone. My current O'Neill Checkmate vest has lasted the longest but unfortunately it's also the only vest I've ever used that chafes my arms. The checkmate vest is about to get retired too because it's stretched and doesn't fit as snugly when wet even though I've gained weight.

• Baller

It looks like both chemical and mechanical wear and tear.

Could there have been some drips of gas or motor oil on it?

Has the vest been stored close to a electric motor for long periods (for example central vacuum cleaner that creates ozone)

Could the vest been stored in the boat hopping around close to something sharp?

Stupied question, you don't wear a 'sand paper beard' or similar?

• Baller

@Msuwaterskier

Should not worry about aggressive chemicals in the water. If it so vest would be damaged in others areas.

I have same "billiards ball" hairstyle :D

In the beginning of sunny season I apply decent amount of sunscreen to head and back neck and some of it may go down to lycra top and vests neck area. Neoprene is rubber based material and could be sensitive to some oils.

Floating is an interesting turn of the thread.

I am not very experienced skier and vest changes my water start a lot

http://www.gssport.ru/sites/default/files/styles/beesho_product_large_thumb/public/img/beeshop/products/s001sail_laranja.jpg?itok=DJ8hcjYH

With Mormaii sailing west which is two thick pieces of neoprene I start in a second like a rocket, whereas Slasher and Checkmate need more concentration. Checkmate for 200 me has too little flotation.

• Baller
Straightline Ultra I wish I would have bought 10. If I knew we be going backwards with vest technology. Nothing better when you jump in the lake using your vest as a diaper and having to fix the foam before you ski again. We vacation at lake Shasta,Ca. You spend a lot of time in the water floating.

• Members
I don't store anything in the sun and would advise against that. Think of all the ladies you know that are older and spent their youth in the sun without sunscreen........yikes. Having said that I am on season 4 of my liquid force cardigan. The color has faded a little but thats it. Ski 3-4 days a week, 4-5 months a year

• Baller
I don't know how you guys are getting 5/6/8 years out of a vest.. at about 3 years more vests I have, the foam starts getting lumpy and twisting. (that was a jet pilot pullover) I have an oniel now that looks like new after 1 year, but I don't expect it to last to 2019...

• Baller

@jipster43

There is one hint how to get rid of smell in watersport equip.:

Theat it with hydrogen peroxide solution (available from pharmacy).

It will kill smelly bacteria and not affect material.

Works well with boots and gloves.

• Baller

Just soak it gently for few minutes. Then wash with water.

If they are seriously contaminated it will be visible - some foam will appear on that spots.

I use plastic bottles with thin nozzle, just pour liquid onto stuff - very convenient and economical.

I ski early in the morning and sometimes wet stuff stays in the warm car till the evening - with a very predictable result :/

Also light washing boots and gloves with liquid soap in the lake after skiing helps a lot.

@ALPJr I also cannot ski if stuff is smelling