D3 ARC Review - First ride

Horton

• Administrators

I just got off the water and I have to say I think it might be the best D3 I have ever ridden. I ran a 28, a few 32s and 35s and then took some stabs at 38. On my last go I ran inside 6 ball at 38. For a first ride that is freaking really really good for me. I fully expect to ski up to my all time PB score on this ski.

The ski has some of the attributes I remember from the Quest. The ski is very stable and supportive approaching the ball. You need to remember to keep your head up and shoulders extra level going into on side.

Oooo yea and it is the fastest D3 by far. That is for sure.

19 rides to go….

• Baller

All Kidder,KD, D3 skis i had were all very user friendly out of the box.

I thought about going for the ARC but bought a Vapor because of the hype on BOS.

See John,your site does influence ski sales...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Administrators

@gregy I have both. I am starting out on the Yellow ARC.

I made the mistake of loaning my Blue ARC-S to my neighbor "Bad Water Bob". He told me I could have it back when I pulled it from his cold dead fingers. He claims he has ordered his own ski so I should be able to ride the S soon.

• Baller
I demo'd the vapor and the ARC S. I wanted to like the vapor more because Brooks Wilson was such a fantastic ambassador to radar, and helped me get the demo. I will be going to ski with him this fall when it gets cold here in Vermont. That said, the ARC S was just easier to ski and i could get more balls. It was fast and stable and it comes around quicker. I am nothing special, i aspire to be a 22' off skier and am struggling with 15 off, but this newbie loved the ARC S.

• Baller
@Horton I'm on a Helix 67" now, what can I expect to gain with the ARC? Doesn't sound like there is much of learning curve with this ski. I am a 22-28 off skier,53 yo, 6'1" 180lbs. Also curious as to what length is best for me? Skiing now at 32 mph but should be at 34mph.

• Administrators
@whitecaps I would say a 67 ARC-S (blue) for you. I only have one ride on an ARC but have been watching skiers on them all season. Everyone seems to be stoked with it so far. I did not love the Helix skis but the ARC seems to be a the real deal.

• Baller

FWIW, @whitecaps, I've ridden the Helix, Q45, ARC, and ARC-S. Personally I found all these skis to be very stable, with the Helix being a bit more aggressive everywhere and sacrificing some stability. You can surely expect to gain stability with the ARC(S). It will be wider from mid front foot forward and if I recall correctly, about the same width mid front foot back, so you gain surface area up front.

As for size, I would definitely go with the 68" ARC-S. I think this will be skiable at both speeds for a person of your size.

The ARC(S) is a rare combination of speed and stability...not quite sure how they pulled that off but there's many skiers on it that feel comfortable on it the first set.

• Baller
@Horton, @santangelo... My first post on BOS may cost me a lot of money. Something inside was hoping you'd say "stay on the Helix until your at shorter lengths", or "if you think an ARC is going to make you into a 32 off skier you are mistaken"

• Administrators

@whitecaps NO ski is going to give you 6 balls unless your current ski REALLY SUCKS. The difference between an average ski and a very good ski is a few balls and platform to build better skills on. Personally I can run a few at 38 on some real crap skis but to run 38 I need a really good ski. The delta is less than 6 balls but it is also huge. Depends on how you think about it.

When you call D3 to get your ski tell Kari I said "HI"

I'd love to ride the Arc and have heard some great things about it! I'm very familiar with D3's and demoed a Quest last year. Def remember you had to have your shoulders level on the off-side or else it would break you. Loved the 68 but couldn't get it to turn.

But if you love stable and supportive approaching the ball and a fast forgiving ski you have to try the Rev 6 @Horton. Would love to get your review on it :smiley:

• Baller
@whitecaps - I'm thrilled with my new ARC. Like santangelo, I've been on a bunch of D3's and found them all really easy to hop on and ski to or above my average (x5, Fusion, Helix, Helix H2, Quest45). I have achieved a couple more buoys on the ARC than some of the others, but I think the difference between skis for me is the consistency with which I get to take on that challenge pass. All of the D3's I've tried have played well with my particular style vs the others I've tried, but the ARC is definitely a step above.

• Baller
@Bdecker --thanks for the insight. The helix is my first D3, purchased it off SIA used. Since I don't see much about folks using the Helix I thought I might benefit from an upgrade. I do like the Helix but haven't skied a lot of others. One question, are you on the ARC or ARC-S?

• Baller
@whitecaps- I am on the standard (yellow) ARC in a 67" and I'm approximately your size (just a bit shorter and heavier...). Skiing 34mph, trying to find the exit gates at -38, but -35 is still far from automatic. I have a helix H2 which I really liked as well.

• Baller
Cool. Was on KD's and D3's for 20 years and loved 'em all. @Andre I will have a Vapor to try soon as well. If that's not the ticket may give the ARC a whirl. So many good skis, so little time (and a crappy spine).

I am not much of a skier, but I've been on a 68" V-type R and 68" A3 of late then the 68" ARC-s for a free ski set this afternoon.. Short set, but if I had to use one word to describe the set it would be FAST. If i had more words, I would say things like confidence inspiring, fun, fast and awesome. Look forward to what @Horton has to say as he moves through this review. @aupatking actually rode the other ARC, but I could tell his back was still couched.

• Baller

I like it, a lot. I've been playing with a 68" X7 just to mess with a different size while waiting on the Arc, after being on a 67 Quest 45. The 67 Q45 was awesome, but felt like it was working me. At 6'2" 190-195 I just thought the 67 was a little short.

The Arc felt really easy to generate the same speed and angle I'm working the X7 for. I have been fighting all summer to stay healthy (uninjured) and a stupid couch lift blew me out of the water, literally, kinda. It is easy to carve short, really short, radius turns and hold speed, but I can't push anything yet.

D3 has put out something special here. Hopefully I'll be on the course again really soon (within our 3 week demo period).

Thank you @art90notch for getting these demo Arc skis. I'm ready to be feeling closer to 100% so I can get you off the Arc S so I can run them both through the course. I told him today, I want to ski the paint off the bottom of these two skis! (not really paint, of course)

• Baller
I have been on Goode's since 98, I called D3 and ordered an Arc and Arc-s. The lady was very nice said I would receive a tracking number in a few hours and a text from Paul with the recommended settings and within a few hours I did. The skis arrived and when I opened them I was surprised how nice they looked, both in D3 ski socks, all of the hardware and tools included. I set the Arc-s today and took in for 2 sets. I was amazed with the ease to get out to the ball and the angle I could generate out of my offside. I was not breathing hard as I normally do after passes. The second set I pushed the ski quite a bit harder and ended up skiing my best pass of the season. My buddy who skis on a Quest set up the Arc and tied his best pass of the season his first set. I plan to ski the S all next week and switch over to the yellow next Sunday. I have a feeling I will be putting the Nano xt on Ski-it-again. We were laughing as the ARC was marked cosmetic blem new trial ski and we couldn't find the blem.....can't find a Goode without a blem

• Baller

With close to stock fin settings on a 67, the ski was hard work, couldn't get up on boat in pull out. Moved the boots back and it took off, was fast and smooth. What were you feeling that made you want to go forward with the boots @Horton ? I was @ .745 2.450 6.940 7*

Numbers Crawford sent with the ski. Thanks for sharing