Pro's and Con's - Moving from Sacramento region to Cypress Lakes in Texas

Murrski

• Baller
It's always been a dream to live on a private lake and I'm very interested in the house for sale on Cypress Lakes in Cypress, TX. We are a family of 4. Two boys ages 9 & 14. We are currently members at a private lake about 45-min from where we live and we love our membership and the community we live in. Our family really enjoys life on the water - we are tournament skiers. We live for time on the water so this opportunity in Cypress has me really thinking. We could actually live at a great facility and have the waterski life right in our yard. This isn't an easy nor affordable thing in California. I've reviewed the climate patterns, the schools, the surrounding communities and I also have a potential job opportunity that would allow me to live in Cypress. I'd really like to hear from people familiar with Cypress Lakes and even better -- homeowners at Cypress Lakes. Can you tell me about the things you love about Cypress Lakes and the surrounding community? What are some of the things you dislike about the area? How are the schools? Much appreciated - thanks!

• Baller
If you can work and stay in the area it would be better. Getting into or across Houston can be a mess although they have increased the freeway capacities quite abit since I've leaved there. Is it at Lakes of Cypress Hill?

• Baller
I used to live in Houston and skied at lakes of Cypress regularly. Awesome lakes, by far my favorite site in the Houston area. It's been ten years so not sure about the guys skiing there now, but I'm sure it's a great group. Someone else will have to chime in about schools as I didn't have kids at the time.

• Baller

@rodltg2 - appreciate it Rod but this opportunity looks really good... we'll see what pans out

thanks @jedgell - it seems a lot of people who have skied at Lakes of Cypress walk away talking about how much they loved it. Curious to what Cypress folks have to say about the community, schools, weather, etc.

• Baller

10+ years ago I made the move from a private membership site in Sacramento (Stillwater Ranch) to living in a private lake community in Houston (Lago Santa Fe). 4 years ago I moved to a private site in the Chicago area.

I've lived through Heaven (Lago Santa Fe) and Hell (Chicago area site), PM me and I'd be glad to share what I know.

• Baller
+1 for Cypress. Without question, one of my favorite sites. The people are great and the number of houses per lake makes it very easy to get all the skiing you want. If I had to choose to leave my little slice of heaven, Cypress would be my #1 choice. And, unlike some remote communities, you have access to all that Houston has to offer culturally - quality of life issue.

Without a doubt. Cypress Lakes. One of the best ski sites in the country some of the best people in the sport reside at that development. Great driving great skiing and great group of people. I skied there for three years and miss the place and the people. You can't go wrong.

• Baller

I could never imagine not living in Cali.

This past weekend I skied Fri and Sunday and Saturday went Kayaking on a high sierra lake with the wife my lab! Prior weekend mixed slalom with Mt biking at 8,000' feet with nobody around but my riding buddy and my pup. Aspen trees, Lodgepole pines, creeks and lakes everywhere followed by beers from my deck looking across the Sierras!

I do not agree with the politics of the state, however, the mountain life, unsurpassed weather, rock climbing, weather, Yosemite, Tahoe, the coast......did I mention the weather?

I will say living on a lake would be cool.

• Baller

@dumbass is right here, thanks! lol

Cypress is awesome. Like any community, you have differences of opinion at times. But it's a great group of people and great place to live and ski. It's pretty easy to get water time with the 3 lakes. The downside is that you have to put up with me, as two of my best friends live there. One of which is the house to the right of the one you're looking at. So reserve me a chair on the back patio by the pool. And please have beer ready for me.

Give me a ring at 281.303.3797 and I'll fill you in on the area and the home.

Cypress is a great place for families and the lakes at Cypress Hill are fantastic. My wife and I moved to Cypress a couple of years ago but ended up leaving after 8 months. We're in our early 30's and don't have kids so the area didn't offer much for us. We ended up moving to Austin which is about 2 hours away.