When Beginners Try The Course

I was bored waiting out a five hour layover at the airport last week and put this together. The first skier is me last year, the second is a friend of mine who said..."I've been skiing all my life, I can get around those buoys. I tried the link trick but couldn't get it to work.

• Baller

"hey, you guys put up the course each weekend and my boy skis slalom. He says he wants to come out and show you gray hairs how to do it....."

that's when I make I'm there with the Nikon and long, long lens....:)

• Baller

Oh I love this post, both the comment and the video.

I remember my first time every in the course. I had been skiing throughout my youth and thought I was the stuff. So we come up on the course and I have good water and I have my buddy going 32 mph because that was the speed I always liked skiing at even though I was probably 26 years old at the time. I thought I would give it a nice warmup run at full line length and figured I would be at 32 off before the day was over. I had read somewhere to ignore the entrance gates for your first time, so I did that. I grabbed ball 1, headed back toward 2 and immediately had the thought "WTF, I can't possibly get all the way over there that fast!! Is this course regulation size or what!!!????" So I missed ball 2, tried to get a few others as the course went by faster than I could have imagined and tried again. Second time through, I realized my "warmup" at full line length was over and I skied as hard and aggressive as I had ever skied before and barely made it through all 6 with no entrance gates. I'm guessing my buddy was probably going closer to 30 than 32. I was hooked instantly. The course had put me in my place and I knew I would forever be enslaved thereto.

It's always one of my favorite parts about taking people to the course for their first time. There are always two consistent remarks. "Wow! those things are way out there!!!" and "Holy cow, they come at you so fast!!!" By the end of two sets, the people are skiing harder than they ever have before and still only getting one or two balls, and you can tell, that they have become enslaved as well. And then obviously, when they start skiing harder than they should, that's when you get the cameras rolling, because there is some great footage to be had. :)

• Baller
@Bill22 I used a little ball pump in a sink full of water to suck up water and put it in the turn balls. Filled halfway with water and then with enough air to make half of the ball sit above the water works really well. I've hit them a few times and they seem to bob down pretty well rather than stop the ski.

Awesome video @Nautibynature!

One of my childhood ski buddies is going to spend three days on the water with my family in September. I bought a used '13 Triumph for him to ride, just so there won't be any excuses. He was easily better than me when we were in our 20's, but hasn't skied much since then. We're late 30's now. Should be memorable.