Tree vs. Boat

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

In a way, these pictures don't quite do it justice. Surveying the entire scene it looks like the tree staged a direct attack on my boat. Hard to assess the full extent of the damage until the tree is cleared, but for sure the windshield has been completely destroyed, including both the glass and the frame.

g3u16fncnjui.jpg

nba65zgjhq7q.jpg

24r4hic37xnp.jpg

f8eam6nsogb9.jpg

• Baller
Oh, and I opened this thread expecting some question/theories about if leaning on a handle tied to a tree was sufficient to practice for leaning behind the boat. That would have been much better than this!

• Baller

I live right around the corner from @Than_Bogan and it wasn't what I would consider windy yesterday and we didn't have that much rain. A couple of us have older boats we wouldn't mind an insurance settlement on. Than's is one of 2 ZO boats we have access to and is fairly new to him so it is a bummer that his took the hit.

I have lost 3 trees in my back yard near the lake since my boat went in and have been fortunate nothing hit my boat but I have a big tree hanging over my boat that I may need to do something about.

Our lake is a State Park and we aren't supposed to cut trees down on the state property so it complicates matters.

• Baller

Bwhahaha, my plan worked perfectly. I calculated exactly which parts of the tree to damage so the boat would be destroyed but leave the engine intact. Since @scuppers wouldn't ship me his engine when the ZO timer failed, I had to resort to Than's boat destruction backup plan. Than, hurry up and ship that engine to me.

Seeing that makes my compulsive boat hoarding 4 boat stable of boats look less crazy (I'm feeling bad about getting rid of that old Nautique last year now...).

Seriously, I hope things work out well and you get back on the water quickly.

Eric

• Supporting Member

Thanks all! I'm not really in terrible shape, as I can ski off @MikeT's boat most of the time and depend on the generosity of others (including @Chef23!) as necessary. Plus, I'm not skiing tournaments this year, so if I had to pick a year for a disruption in August, I guess this would have to be it.

It's just going to be a royal pain to get it cleaned up (which relies heavily on the park, who haven't even called me back yet) and then towed to somewhere that can fix it. Insurance will cover much, though not my lost weekend time!

I don't think I'll need a new boat, but if I do then things get really interesting, since most new boats don't work with the infamous Mouse Hole Tunnel.

• Supporting Member

Mouse Hole Tunnel

qfkw1vr1efcl.jpg

A 91" beam is basically the limit to get through. 95" will almost never get through except maybe a few low water days each year.

I am actually on the same side of that tunnel as the slalom course, so I could beg the Army Lab to let me in and out each year. But it's much, much more convenient to be able to use the public ramp on the other side of that tunnel.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan Can you say Ski Centurion. I also have a 2009 SN that's not getting a lot of use this year. Good to have options around. Good luck with the insurance process. On a good note I had a very positive experience with my insurance years back

• Baller
I actually do harvest downed trees for there wood. A big ass cherry went down in my neighbors yard and I got over 500 bd ft of lumber out of it. I've used cherry , ash, hickory and oak all from trees around my house. The frustrating part is that there a bunch of huge walnut trees all around but the damn things won't die or blow down!

• Baller

Thanks for the oak offer. what a bummer of a way to get some firewood! I cut almost all my wood to 4/4 as my skis are made of thin resawed layers. The tree was huge! One of the best stories was when the big ash died between my house and the lake. I had a guy drop the tree so I didn't KO the house. I cut the logs to 8' and rolled them into the lake. Hooked them up to the Malibu and towed them over to the public ramp where my wife was waiting with the boat trailer. Floated them up on the bunks and off to the sawmill. You should have seen the looks on the wally's faces when I came into the dock with the logs behind me. Told them this happened all the time and that you sure don't want to boat here!

• Baller
@Than sorry to hear about this...hopefully, either a reasonably easy fix or a full settlement/new boat will happen expeditiously...good that no one got hurt. Welcome to come west for a pull (although @ Chef will tell you our buoys are too high and he's never coming back...lol)

• Supporting Member

@ALPJr Nope. Nobody hurt.

@Wish It's a machine. And perhaps even a repairable machine. Plus the whole thing is a little on the hilarious side. It appears that after I loaded up my boat with ant traps about 3 seasons ago, the carpenter ant colony headquartered nearby has been working on their revenge the entire time. Direct hit! :smile:

• Baller

What a bummer Than, I remember you trying that boat out at our pond. Maybe if you had stuck with double boots.............

As BD said let me know if you want to head north for a pull. Come and join #teamspoiled. This is our team name for those skiers addicted to our Carbon Pro wakes and pull.