All New 2017 Radar Vapor

ToddL

• Baller
Clearly the 2016 was a hit. But every manufacturer is always wanting to improve their products. With all of the 2016's on the market, there has got to be a significant amount of feedback for Radar. I am sure that the 2017 will not be significantly different, but I bet there is something more than just graphics behind the new model. Heck, I am not sure that Radar has ever had a flagship ski stay identical in construction from 1 year to the next.

• Baller

Ya know, I kinda like a company finding a design that works well, then is willing to only slightly refine it. There are others who seem to come out with a new model every 6 months. That gets old, and to me indicates that there is a lot that needed to be fixed on the last one you just recently paid a lot of money for.

(I know Horton "Constantly trying to make a better ski"... yada yada)

• Baller
I agree @MrJones. If your ski is a hit, then just make more with slightly diff graphic to help determine year/age. Someone will always need a brand new one. If the ski is so excellent, then in a few years of hard skiing, your original customers of the first model will be ready to buy it again new as the current year model.

• Administrators
I can neither confirm nor deny any of the above comments but I can absolutely say that the boys at the factory have been very excited about this new.... whatever it is for a long time.

• Baller

I had heard same mold. So, new core in the same mold seems to be the change.

PMI core sounds cool. It is a high strength, lightweight core with aircraft applications. It has also been used in snow skis for a few years. It yields a low temperature impact strength, superior fatigue behavior, ideal shear stiffness, and high temperature stability.

• Baller
I know this is superficial considering the new ski has a new core material which apparently is also new to the industry, but I like the graphics of the 2017 much better than the 2016 version. I know some people really like the 2016 graphics, but I don't like them at all -- too busy or something. This one looks pretty cool with mostly black tonal patterns and then the simple red detailing. Very nice.

• Baller
As long as they stay away from that awful green of the 2014 version. When they brought those to the Nationals that year, they also brought about a dozen special edition red versions. The red ones sold out in 30 minutes which should tell them something about what colors to target and what colors to avoid. I know some people do like green, but I don't think the majority do...

• Baller
The Vapor Boa Boots we're bringing to the Nationals are built with a Carbitex shell. A revolutionary new polymer matrix infused woven carbon fiber which gives us the bullet proof performance qualities of carbon fiber while retaining the comfortable flex and fit that skiers have grown accustomed to in our boots. And they're black!

• Baller
I saw the new Vapor boots at a 'to remain nameless' Radar designer's lake a couple of weeks ago, the day after I got my 2016 Orange Vapor boot. Bit bummed about the colour of mine after seeing the 2017, but I know it's still a great boot. The black with the new shell looks amazing.