2017 Vapor ProBuild Construction with PMI core

Horton

• Administrators
http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2016/_DOS7581.jpeg
MSRP - $1799
63.5, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69.5
Available in 2 colors (Coral and Day-Glow)

Our newest construction moves what we know about ski building into the next realm. PMI is the next generation of lightweight reactive core foam. Its current application is aircraft construction based on its ability to easily shape and thermoform. PMI is structurally more rigid (simplifying the layup) and more reactive than other current hi-end cores available. The latter benefit offers more feel and forgiveness making the ski connected and controlled. PMI also displayed minimal structural fatigue after longevity cycle testing compared to PVC, which eventually broke down. There is a noticeable difference between other lightweight core skis and our new ProBuild. 

The new Pro Build Construction was modeled to offer you what the pros have known for more than a year. It’s knowing that there’s something better out there than PVC. Countless titles have been won under cloak during the development of this newest construction. Combine our new core with Textreme Carbon and structural Innegra and you’ll find nothing more technically advanced anywhere. 

Welcome to the future.   

• Administrators
Since @skidawg is suddenly shy I'll tell you guys that there's at least three regular Ballers that have been on the new core all year

• Administrators
@TallSkinnyGuy if you ski 150 sets into 38 off on a PU ski it will degrade more then the same usage on a PVC ski. There's no such thing as a material that will not degrade to some extent when it is stressed. PMI promises to degrade less. Google it.

• Supporting Member

Now that is a piece of marketing hype I can handle. It tells us what they are doing and why!

Although I am in full Denali Factory Team mode right now, I am impressed by what Radar and ex-New Englander Chris Rossi are doing lately!

• Baller
Ok Horton, it's been a bit crazy past few days, I now have a brief explanation. I have been on the '17 pro core since I started this year in May (late start due to injury). IMO----longevity. Higher quality material, longer life, more sets on same high end ski---better performance over the long haul. As performance, I can definatly feel a faster response to my input. Very snappy & quick. It's a big positive move forward on a very impressive shape. On a personal tournament performance note; I have more 5@39 scores and into 41 scores on this ski in a much shorter season (we normally start in March, but I don't start skiing until the last week in May due to a broken hand). Big thanks to the RaDAR crew for pushing the development envelope

• Baller
The ski builders of all factories that have been using PVC for a while are probably by now pretty good at it. It seems possible that a new core material would require doing things a little differently and therefore have a learning curve that would add cost to building the skis. If this is all true, then it would also make sense for other ski companies to wait and find out if PMI really makes enough difference to use it. Since Radar is using the same ski shape and just changing the core to PMI, this will be a perfect test scenario to determine if the new core is worth the hassle. Obviously, I'm just theorizing.

• Baller

Might cause other mfg to pursue other cores or stringers even.

PMI has been in hockey blades for years, so the lamination properties aren't exactly voodoo.

@wskier - I don't think anything will prevent it. Carbon and PU and PVC spread throughout all the companies. I'm more curious on Margins/Longevity/Resale

I'm at this point of where I've been on one ski for several seasons. I would purchase a new one. But they keep changing, you just settle on buying a years end model of xyz ski and a new one crops up... Only now they're 1800 bucks instead of 800.

So maybe the cost of the core increases the ski a few bones. But maybe the skis don't breakdown and people keep them longer, or maybe the resale stays higher since fewer are sold new so when they're 2 years old it's 1450$ on SIA. Or the new core quickly changes the need to have the side wall be as thick so they thin the core and change skis dramatically in the next few years and the resale isn't as good since the new ski is so new...

Either way fun to see posts of new stuff.

• Baller

Rode mine last night for the first time after being off the water for sometime due to injury. In the past I have owned a 14, 15, & 16 Lithium Vapor's and will tell you that none of them compare. I was completely WOWED by this ski last night.

I'm not a shortline skier like most on here but I can tell you it was very easy for me to feel the ski hold angle like no other ski I have owned. It will give you what you want - question is can you hold on?

I see a new PB fore me this year :)

• Administrators
@bigskieridaho most tournament boats now cost 75 grand or more (list price) and high in skis cost between $1500 and 2k. That's just the world we live in.

You have the new boat now you need the new ProBuild to go with it @bigskieridaho. Stop in the local dealer. Great guy and he will hook you up. 68" demos seem to be rare so just bite the bullet and go for it. If you don't like the skie you can sell it to me and get half your money back!

• Baller
@bigskieridaho - keep in mind that the '17 Radar Vapor PMI is a HIGH END ski. Yes, there are less expensive ski's but do they handle with the agility of a Lamborghini/Ferrari? I have personally witnessed the making of a '17 Vapor with the PMI Core. There is a LOT of work and care that goes into making these ski's. The technicians make it look easy to build - but it is far from an easy task to build a ski consistently. So after witnessing this build process, I would say, they are justified in what they charge for a ski. Sure, it is a lot of money, but how much fun do you have skiing? I'd say it is a cost worth the reward. I know what kind of ski I will be buying when I'm in the market again - the Vapor with PMI core.

• Baller
@bigskieridaho - fair point but go price out a high end set of golf clubs, a decent guitar, a nice road bike, a good mountain bike, a nice rifle, maybe a UTV, heck you can spend $500 on a tennis racket now! Point is that no matter what the hobby, the high end gear will come with a price tag