Nationals (and Regionals) ROI

brettmainer

• Baller

My son fell on his opener at nats. I saw a teaching opportunity so I made him run around the lakes 10 times with his ski held over his head and wearing a big sign saying "fell on my opener".

Not really. Actually he did fall on his opener, but he pb'd in jump and trick and had a great time hanging with the other "ski kids" which is probably his all-time favorite activity.

I agree with your points, @schroed - I like the idea of the competition pretty much as is, but with a connected festival/open level competition. All the skiers, kids and adults, will get something out of that.

FYI - Bell Acqua nats were '90 and '91. The good old days. But... the way Broadside did it this year, it feels like we could be entering the good new days.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_

@jimbrake you really should have done that! He'd never miss an opener again!

Excellent points all around about "teaching moments". I've certainly learned the hard way and have fallen early more times than I care to remember, but there's no substitute for working your tail off, being disappointed, working more and really appreciating it when you do perform well.

Both my kids did great, but were sorely disappointed in at least one event. I would much rather have them learn disappointment at an early age than have them do really well and not learn what it feels like to be disappointed until they are adults - that's really learning the hard way.

Yes, it was an expensive week dollar wise, but hard to put a price on the overall experience and fun.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@ Edbrazil Thanks for the 64 Nats pic. Literaly my back yard. If you turned the camera you would have seen my house. A for the Nipmuc club waiting list. That club had over 150 members around Nationals time. It had dwindled down to around 18-20 in the 70's Back to near 100 in the 90's. It has been capped @ around 50 limiting any growth for years. That's why there are waiting list.

In regards to Nationals, well, my boy barely qualifies for Regionals and unless you have access to a private pond or private lessons getting that good is difficult. Like it or not we are loosing talent to wakeboarding. The events are more exciting, better covered, better sponsored, and attract spectators which grows the sport.

• Baller
ROI: It really comes down to can you afford it, if not then find something you can, I haven't skied a Nationals in year, because I physically can't, but I still remember the last time I walked out of the water, and wish I could do it again, it's all about what you value, Gameday next weekend is a $2500 weekend trip, but it's worth every penny, RTR, and so is skiing in the Nationals.

• Baller

If money was no concern AND if we could get time off from work/school, I'd attend. So, it is just that simple. Each skier's or families' situation is their own. There isn't much that AWSA can do to impact that. Now, ROI is more subjective, and if people measure it in terms of time on the water, then AWSA can consider the variety of suggestions to offer more water time at/near the event. Maybe an improvement in time on the water will push a few more skiers or families off the fence into participation. Still, the primary barrier is a personal one of time and money.

PS: The team in Idaho has receive excellent reviews and accolades. I hope they are proud of their impact and will consider hosting again in the future.