Need a used trick ski

WBLskier

• Baller
My two daughters (7 and and 10) want to get into trick skiing. I am going to try to figure it out too. Any suggestions on what size to start them on? Does anyone have a used trick ski they want to sell? I want to try it out too, so I'd be looking to buy an older trick ski that would fit me too. I am 5'9 165lbs. Thanks.

• Baller
@unksskis I disagree on a 42 for him. Just starting out I would put him on a 43 it will make everything easier and unless he starts flipping or doing ski line tricks the 43 will work great and be more forgiving than a 42 for him. While a 42 will work it will be less forgiving in the beginning than a 43.

• Baller
I put my son on a 43 when he was probably 120 lbs and it has carried him well he is now 170 lbs and still using the same ski. He isn't a great tricker about 1800 points but it was good having a more stable platform while he was learning.

• Baller
Yes, a 42" will be too small for him, however I am his size, and ride a 42", and was riding a 41" for a bit before that. He'll have to go a little faster to get it riding higher, not that hard. In contrast, a 43" let alone 44" is way too big for his daughters currently, who seem to be the main focus of getting the trick ski, to learn or progress on or even control and have fun. The right answer is to get two separate trick skis, but if only getting one, I think 42" is most ideal for accommodating all needs.

• Baller_

It's probably an unwise compromise to get a ski for all 3 of you. The issue is not so much the ski as the binding. While a 42- 43" would work, there is no way to get a reasonable binding fit for a 7yo and an adult.

For your 7 and 10yo, a 40- 41" hard edge would be ideal. They should be able to share just fine assuming they both use the same foot forward. If you get a reflex hardshell, you can use different liners (a thick one for the 7yo) with the same shell. When your 10yo gets up to 100lbs or so, she'll be ready for a 42

For you, a 44 will definitely be easier to learn on, but if you find a good deal on a 43, go for it.

More tips for tricking here:

http://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/tech/2598-the-future-of-our-sport-tips-to-addict-the-next-generation

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I would think your issue will be bindings. The kids can learn surface tricks on about any size ski, and larger will be more stable. NBD there.

Problem is that kids learn quick and if you put them in a super sloppy adult binding that fits an adult foot, you may be holding them back. Not right at first, but soon as they will progress fast compared to Dad/Mom....

We never spent time on 2. Figured it was a waste. Don't regret it. A boom is super nice to start them on if available. they can figure out how to ride it with support, then move them off of it.

Have fun!

• Baller

Inserts and multiple Reflex plates can make binding switches quick. The college kids are switching something between every skier it seems. Just use anti sieze.

Dual lock was really hard to switch around bindings. Fine if it never comes off but difficult to swap - at least that's my experience.

The Reflex system grows nicely with the kids. All you need is a new shell as they grow and some adjustments. Plus it transfers well to most skis as the kids try different skis and sizes.

Size is not super critical. Go a bit faster if the ski is too small and slow down if it is too big. Adjust the rope length to match the speed. Personally, I like most of the modern skis in the bigger lengths - for everybody.

Two skis is tough. Transitioning from a wakeboard is the new school way to do it.

Hopefully your first second hand ski won't be the last ski you get. There are some cool new skis out there.

Eric

I learned on 2 first if you have never tricked they are slick as owl sh#^ .I think back before concussion was a big deal those 16 mph edge grabs gave me a headache but that was back when the only way to learn barfoot was step out of a slalom whoa those were some eye peelers as well.

• Baller
It is easier to screw a new binding on quickly than it is to put it on with dual lock. I have dual locked a rear binding on and it is pretty easy to switch that but I would be worried about a complete front binding swap.

• Baller
@spicoli the MOB release system eliminates the headaches for tricks! @WBLskier buy the MOB release system and two boot plates so you can just snap in boots that fit you and your daughters and I will throw in a 42" HO trick ski for you to learn on. Easy to change boot sizes as the kids grow. Only problem with that is my daughter then made off with my trick ski... Message me for more information.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller