Whats this bubble butt o/b SN worth?

6balls

• Baller

Taught @skibumsam to ski course last year now an addict soon to be off to college. Home boat for their family is a '78 SN and looking to get into bubble butt that is relatively local. Prefer a dealer where they can trade as no bites on their boat for sale. I found a '97 in Altanta with 640 hrs and GT-40 for asking $11995 negotiable but too far away for them.

They are going to look at the boat in the link below in WI. I think the boat is outrageously overpriced. I'm thinking should be listed $15-$17K at most and that is only due to uniqueness of o/b. Guessing trade in is $4K tops for a '78.

Any ballers have opinion on the fair price of the boat in the link, and what to expect for trade on a '78?

Boat

• Baller
My ski partner recently sold his 2002 196. I think about 550 hours, for $19K. It was truly like new, no hype, it was. Don't see hours listed, but realistically I'd have to say the boat could not be worth more than $15K and that's assuming excellent condition and low hours. Why is Atlanta too far away? Considering that price, plus negotiable, it doesn't seem so far. Ask @OB1 to check it out.

• Baller_

It must be the extended pylon that makes it worth so much:) I think you're right about $15- 17k range.

It you cant find anything closer, make a lowball offer on the one in Atlanta and you may be able to negotiate to something that would make it worth the drive.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Letting the one in WI sit. I think our plan now is to look for a functional 196 in good condition around a $14-18 price range. I'm in charge of the research but not the money so everything has to pass w/ parents in terms of price, their taste, etc. Would keep trying at selling the '78 or eventually just sell it to dealer to avoid storage

• Baller_
Winter is coming quick..tough time to sell and dealers are motivated up there. I'd hand the dealer my business card with $16,500 written on the back and tell him to call when he's ready to sell it for that price and walk away..no trade, no haggling, no hastle..just walk. He will call about mid Nov accepting the offer. And at that price, it would have to be in mint condition. Spend the winter time shining up the old boat and sell it privately in April/May of next year when prices are premium and folks are lookn.

IIRC, don't the SNOB's of that era have less cockpit area, as the dash area(and maybe even the engine) was moved back in order to make room for the open bow? The only SNOB I would want is a 200. Keep looking. You should be able to get a 97+ locally in MN/WI for around 13-15k.

• Baller

FYI - you need to inquire about the OEM teleflex gauges as they all fail on early 2000 - 2003 SN's. if the gauges are not original, it means the hours on the tach/hour meter probably reflect the hours since replacement. Possible the original owner pre-wound the old hours into the new gauge (I did this on my old 2001 SN) - but I doubt it.

Bonus of the GT40 is it's an awesome motor - great low end torque and hole shot. Draw back is the hours aren't stored in the motor like they are on the Chevy engines, so you have to trust the hours are correct.

Good luck.

• Baller
@wish even at 16,500 too high. Unknown hours. Well ok it is ob but I would think ob is less desirable IMO. A good TSC should be about $12k. The '78 is surprisingly not worth much, especially as a trade in. There's some remarkable condition 2nd generation. SN that can be had for $4500. The buying season is def upon the northerners. Good luck and don't forget about the NWZ's!!

• Baller_

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but did you look on ski-it-again? In 2 minutes I found several candidates in your neck of the woods:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&sorton=13

These jumped out:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=38018

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=37503

I understand the desire/ease of trading in, but a dealer will be charging more than you will pay to an individual, so there's a trade....

Horton can bite me on the long links :p

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

That sounds like a lot for a TSC1 hull, even with an open bow. We paid $22k for a 2003 With 400 hours several years ago. I recognize that dealer, we used to buy our club boats from him. It was called Son Watersports back then, they sold a lot of Nautiques.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/5723323228.html

There is the link for the '78. Price is high we are aware. Open to offers.

Checking out the postings and stuff you guys dug up. Thanks for all the input. Have looked in to most of them on there, but leaving for college soon (tuesday) so was honestly just looking for something close to at least look at before move-in. We are in the market for a boat though and will be looking through this fall-next spring.

New to me... parents also considering newer models so anybody with a tsc3 or 2010+ mastercraft or nautique or knowledge of one for sale let me know.

• Baller
I don't know if $7500 is really all that high, it's a good starting price. I see 2nd gen's listed for that and higher all the time but don't get nibbled on too much. You can always go down but not up. FWIW my 76 was listed at 7500 for a year or so before I grabbed it for 4700. Equall condition to your 78 from what I can tell. A buddy sold his 80 for about 5, maybe a lil less. Good condition minus some fading on transom.

• Baller
Roadtrips are fun. Get off your lazy arse...call the guy in atlanta and see if it's really in that kind of shape and buy it! The bubble butt nautique is the best driving all around boat they ever made. They will eventually go back that direction and tell us it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!...............and we will buy it.

• Baller

Did you look on Correctcraftfan.com? I saw bubble butts in Indiana, Wisconsin, Colorado. There were probably more. All under the price above. Also a pretty good site to sell that 78.

Seems like the midwest boats are always priced a bit higher. I've had a couple friends buy in CA and ship. Still money ahead.

• Baller

That's true but if you can't drive a 196 you shouldn't be driving, plus I can drive all day on a tank of gas. I am a Nautique owner. I know I used to own a 1979 Ski Supreme & a 1986 Supra ts6m if you wanted a16.10r15.9 I could drive it and I'm sure you could too I would like to see the new drivers Qualify by driving by hand to get Certified not Zero off. Butt it sure saves marriages!!!

'

• Baller

Just had a boat delivered this weekend (via uShip) from Arizona to Iowa for just under $500. Couldn't drive myself for that kind of $$.

Make sure to choose a reputable transportation company (check for insurance and positive reviews), allow plenty of time to collect bids and have the rig ready to roll at a moments notice. We had someone in Arizona retrieve the boat and do trailer maintenance which was a huge help. Lastly, be patient - our auction opened with bids started around $1,200-1,500.

+1 on the SNOB being much smaller inside. I'm a former SNOB owner and currently have a TSC. The playpen open bow isn't worth giving up the cabin space IMO.

• Baller

So, first off, yes, that boat is overpriced. When I was boat shopping a few years ago, the wife was requiring open bow, and I really wanted TSC. I ended up getting a 97 SNOB, but what I sacrificed was the GT-40 engine, I got the 5.7 Pro-ski instead. I've been fine with it so far, even at elevation, but maybe that's just because I don't know any better?

However, I will say this - if you are just looking for a bubble butt, don't even look at an open bow. You're paying more for something you don't even care about. Even if that boat was priced correctly, let's say somewhere around $15k for good condition, you would still be paying probably 10-15% more for an open bow than you would for a comparable closed bow, so if you don't need/want an open bow, don't pay for it, get more boat with your money instead, and more room as the windshield moved back on the SNOB.

That being said, I love my SNOB. I am not an exclusive elitist private lake only waterskier. I spend some time on public water and spend some time riding boards and spend some time with more people packed into the boat. And yet, I'm still treated to a first class waterski wake every time I hit the course. I love it. In that price range, it's hard to find a better option for the "best of both worlds" type of rider.

I would not buy a NWZ until you have tried both side by side. I got my first ride on an NWZ hull last fall and couldn't get off of it fast enough. I thought I was going to break my ankles with that concrete curb of a wake. I even prefer to ride my buddies 97 PS205 to that NWZ hull.

• Baller

With regards to the OP's link of the 2000 SN.

A teleflex gauged boat is unknown hours, so assume around 600 even if it's in good shape (and that one looks like it's in good shape, although the weird back seat would leave me questioning if they spec'd any lower hours).

It doesn't have PerfectPass, so that makes the boat worth $1K less right off the bat.

The ignition keypad has been replaced (note that it's not woodgrain) so that may also indicate more hours, or storage in a damp environment.

I think at $15K that would be a decent buy. At $20K, walk away, there are many better deals to be had.

I'm with the guy that said "leave your business card with a price on the back". You will buy that boat for way below what it's listed for in November. Test drive now to know it's good to go.

BTW, I bought a 2001 SN with Perfect Pass, in great condition aside from the busted Teleflex gauges, for $16.5K. Our guess was 369 hours, based on the part of the gauges we could see and the Perfect Pass, which was hopefully matched when installed.

• Baller_
Try Tempest Craiglist search. I found probably 10 97 Nautique Bubble back boats. Problem though a large percentage of them are misrepresented. One guy in O-town has a nice one, claimed it was a 351 efi and in the photo showed a proski 5.0/305 chebby!!! another claimed his SN was 97 but the photo showed a slant back ski nautique, Which by the way are also not bad ski tractor's provided one gets a 94 or 95.

• Baller

yeah @Jody_Seal I have to ask why 94/95 Slantbacks?

I absolutely love my '93. To say the wake is concrete is just wrong. I ski a TSC3, TSC1, and my NWZ, occasionally my 76. At -15 & -22@32 I can say the wake is taller than a TSC but softer. The TSC1 I ski is flat but rather quite hard. Can't speak for 36 mph.

• Baller_
Pre 94 had the goofy protec injection and ignition. Pre 93 were wood stringers. Slant back Nautiques are great ski boats. A nice clean one would make a great candidate for a repower and ZO conversion. Deep short line they had an abrupt hole in the middle of the wake but hey many a 39 were run behind those boats.

• Baller
@Orlando76 That is very strange. Who knows, maybe the slantback I skied had a bad prop or something weird with it. Certainly I would love to ski another one some day and hopefully get better results because I honestly thought at the time "How did CC ever sell a single one of these boats." I was truly mystified. I would love to ski a good one some time and then just blame that bad experience on being the anomaly and not the rule.

• Baller
I hate to correct Jody, he's definitely a Correct Craft expert, but pre 94 did have Pro Tec ignition but not injection. They still had the proven 4160 Holley. The Pro Tec ignition can be eliminated in less than two hours and with a conventional ~$400 distributor.

• Baller_

uoou4952sgfv.bmp

95 was the first year of the GT-40, it Came with out a FCC. We ran the projection for almost 2 years prior. There was many a 92 with the Pro-jection junk as we had to quantify the system, at Jack's, Swiss and team boats.

22 off on the slant backs was as good as it gets, There really is not a whole lot of difference between the slant backs and bubble back wake wise

until one get's the trick world, Messy table and that got worse with the trunk models and hydro gates . With the advent of the 310 HP GT engines in 95 the HP war's began..

These photos are of the bubble back to last generation 196. photos came from Correct Craft Fan web site.