Shipping ski equipment to Canada?

hemlock

• Baller
I'm looking at getting new ski gear, (slalom ski and bindings) and am wondering what extra costs might be on top of shipping? Any Canadians order from a US site to get gear shipped up? US prices seem quite lower than local store pricing. Thanks!

• Baller
I order from Performance still. I find it cheaper than shuswap especially if you're looking for closeout gear. I do have the benefit of being about an hour and a half from the boarder so I can ship stuff within the states and pick it up there and bring it across then I only need to pay the cdn taxes. Just call down to performance though, they'll give you a quote on what it would cost to ship to your door!

• Baller

I had my Vapor shipped in US and a friend was going skiing in upper NY state and brought it back as if it was his.

No taxes,free shipping,no duty...

If you live close to the border, be creative!

Local CC dealer pro shop wanted 2k plus taxes CDN...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
@hemlock, I agree with @Mark_Matis. It's really more like a $350 difference based on today's FX rates. Certainly, that is not insignificant, but a bunch of that delta will get absorbed by shipping, customs, and duties. The total cost difference, to actually get the ski from the store into your house, might not be as much as it seems.

• Baller

Yes, the exchange rate will bite into the savings for sure. But as far as I can tell, there is no duty on waterskis since it is made in the US. Can anyone confirm this? I would just have to pay exchange, pay shipping, and my local tax. Pricing out the HO ski looks to be around $1456 US. Add exchange, moves it to $1892 CAD, plus local tax moves it to $2119 CAD final price. The same gear with free shipping from shushwap is $2345.

So, it's not too far off. :smiley:

If you add 10% for warranty costs (Shipping back to US in case of warranty claim) then the pricing is practically on par.

no duty if made in north america and there are lots of shops down their that don't charge shipping on buys over a couple hundred in the lower forty eight so if your close to the border just get it ship to the nearest US town plus some of the retailers are in states that have no sales tax, add bonus

• Baller
@hemlock performance has some pretty good deals on some of their demo stock right now (I was tempted by a vapor!). Might not hurt to have a look at that option too. Can usually save some money and they're really good at sending pictures of what you're looking at so you don't get any nasty surprises when you receive it! On a side note, if I keep recommending perfski do you think they'll give me a discount? Ha!

• Baller

I asked perfski for a ship quote, and Bill responded promptly. Great service.

They seem to have the best prices I can find online thus far. I've bought my vest via Shuswap and they have great service too.

I'm currently riding an HO NOS from about 5 years ago. I have an animal front boot, with RTP, but recently had a crazy crash across the wakes which is unusual. (I'm 41 and have skied competitively since I was a teenager, although I haven't been to a tournament in the last while)

I felt I had good position and was clear to pass the wakes without issue, but something caught edge, took a header, and I had the wind knocked out of me while I slammed across the water.

So now, I'm 2nd guessing my ski. I'm 5'11 and 180 and my NOS is a 67".

I like it, but would like something more in control.

I'm skiing better than I ever have, and am wondering if it's time to upgrade my gear.

The HO direct connect system is of interest.

I feel comfortable running 28' off, but feel 32 and 35 are within reach.

Anyway, I'm shopping, not necessary buying, but shopping.

Damn, the new skis are expensive. But it seems at the end of the summer there might be some good sales.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

• Baller

If you bring your quote into Shuswap and ask them to match they will do that but only if its not a crazy promo or clear out. They will calculate the shipping, taxes and if not a US mfg product, the duty. They are great to deal with and I have stopped cross border shopping to support them.

• Baller_
H2OProshop.com will also ship world wide and has great prices. Their retail show room is one hour south of the Canadian border and about two hours from downtown Montreal and Ottowa. AND you can get an ice cream cone at their custard stand. They are also a Nautique dealer and have a extensive inventory of parts, not to mention ski, wakeboard and wake surf boats. #iskiconnelly

Lpskier

• Baller
Give that it's late in the Canadian season, if you're just shopping, I'd wait till the new year to see if prices drop. I only say that cause I'm in a similar boat to you (no pun intended). I'm browsing for a new ski (probably a vapor but haven't discounted D3 or Goode) but have resolved to waiting out this year, saving a little more money and springing for something in the off-season!

• Baller

Couple things to consider;

I believe Shuswap has a try & buy type of program where if you're not happy they will take the ski back and get you on something else, buying off the internet can make that difficult.

Ski-it-again will probably start loading up with end of season clearouts. Late last fall I purchased from a shop this way, got a good deal but had to wait all winter to try what I bought.

• Baller
As wtrskior mentioned. I can't stress enough to make sure you only use USPS ( postal service) for shipping and not Courier. ( I have made the mistake! ). You are usually dinged with a huge brokerage fee with Courier

• Baller

I know most purchasing decisions boil down to lowest price. But FWIW, no other ski shop in Canada does more for slalom skiing and slalom skiers than Shuswap Ski & Board.

It's not a watersports shop that also has a few skis. It's a big slalom ski shop that carries virtually everything serious slalom skiers need. They constantly sponsor tournaments, youth programs, and much more. Shuswap is like "Performance North." Their service is second to none, and if their aggressive pricing can be beaten on some item, I've seen them price match.

It will be a sad day in water skiing if this dedicated slalom shop ever goes away. So I'd say support those who support us. At least give them a chance to price match.

• Baller
Good choice. I worked at a few shops in Calgary that have since closed down, and strictly from a warranty perspective, it's better to buy local. Plus, Shuswap has great customer service and really take care of their loyal customers.

• Baller_
@sm I don't think so. T3 works as well in cold water as in warm, on the same settings I ran in Florida. Stroked my first attempted Adirondack 35 and post cancer PBed at Trophy two weeks ago. The T3 is a keeper.

Lpskier

• Baller
If we don't support Shuswap, why would they stick around? They are our "local" dealer and if it costs a few extra bucks, so be it. They are great, knowledgeable and support their customers.