2017 Nationals

brettmainer

• Members

Anybody know where Nationals are next year? My personal preference is, 1) Bell Acqua, 2) Broadside, and 3) Hawaii*

* I am writing this from the airport, my 4th week in a row on the road. I will finish September with 3 sets on two difference days. The only bright side to that is I have passed the trillion mile frequent flier mark and don't care where Nationals are so long as it is fun. Broadside was fun. Nationals in the early '90s at Bell Aqua was fun. Hawaii would be fun, if only because the wind and waves might bring all the other skiers back to my level. Plus of course, it is Hawaii.

• Baller
@brettmainer I always wanted to ski there. Paredes told me I would love it coming from Colorado , but $400--yikes. I guess if I stay out late enough, I could go by the hour. I stayed at a $19/night motel at the Indy pro tour and got a proposal from a gay prostitute.

• Members

@Drago, that is always a possibility at the Aquatic Park. At least it was a couple of decades ago. Matt, September/October photos are always great for fooling people about the SF weather. Although, honestly, I prefer sweatshirts and fresh breeze (or stiff gale) to bugs and humidity. Berkeley skis great, wind or no, and with SF, Tahoe, Napa, etc., close at hand, it would be an experience for those that haven't been.

What happened to the Pyramid?

• Baller

There's a small lake about 1500' from the geographic center of the lower 48. It looks like it might have been bigger at one time. How's that for centrally located, @usaski1 ?

Maybe AWSA could buy it and dig it out ... too far away for just about everyone to make it fair :p

la5roy40dz00.jpg

• Members

From a convenience and cost standpoint, it is pretty clear that the order of preference is:

1. Close enough to home that no hotel is required.

2. Close enough for driving, but hotel is required.

3. Plane flight.

Once you are on a plane, it doesn't matter too much whether it is a 3hr flight or a 6hr flight. Therefore, as a California skier, it doesn't matter much between Houston and Florida. Either one is a flight/hotel/rental car, etc. The extra hour on the plane is not a deciding factor on whether to attend or not.

My preference for Broadside over Florida or Houston has more to do with the August weather in Idaho versus the south. If Nationals were in November, the preference would be reversed.

Bakersfield is a strong option too. No wind; guaranteed perfect conditions, but gets pretty hot in August. It is my understanding that hosting Nationals 3yrs straight (1999-2001) and then again a couple of years later burnt everybody out down there.

I still like the Berkeley option, although it has crossed my mind that it would mean my promo boat would be used in salt water for the week. I think there would be some pushback from the boat companies (or at least the promo team members) against a salt water site.

• Baller

Pure speculation but I doubt Sac unless HQ takes a much much smaller chunk of the profit. There are three lakes all owned by different HOAs/Corporations/LLCs. The middle lake has 18 owners.

They will have to make it profitable enough for 18 owners to split 1/3 of the pie and give up their lake/work their butts off for a couple weeks.

• Baller
Still waiting. I recently spoke to the owner of a two lake site who said that AWSA offered to pay 10K to use their site for the 2017 Nationals. AWSA to do everytihing. The owner just provides the site. The offer was declined.